Wiring harness for Renard controllers to ease display connections.

BillW

Supporting Member
Okay!! I'm old school and I still use Renard controllers along with string LED's and an occasional incandescent light string! Now, that that's out of the way. My question is this, after watching the videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5mTBMVUzA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nuGwHLLooo) seeing how he uses Molex connectors and a 4-wire cable to connect everything to his controllers and displays, I was wondering if a Trailer-Side 5-Pin Flat Wiring Harness would work (https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58550-5-...2C109&sr=8-5)? Since I'm running string LED's for my singing Christmas tree (8 channels) the electrical load should not cause a problem, right?

Looking for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks

Using molex or trailer connectors should be fine. I used a bunch of molex when I was still doing Incans and LED's. The tricky thing is keeping track of the connections.

So he is using Low Voltage Connectors for 120V lighting? That does not sound like a good idea. I also do not like the idea of tying the neutrals together for AC, but I am not a EE.

Well 120 VAC is still low voltage, but I agree with your point. I've wanted to use quick disconnects for years, but nothing looked good to meet voltage/current and weatherproofing specs. Plus, couldn't bring myself to pay $300 for a crimper to crimp a handful of $0.05 pins or sockets.

My application was per circuit...3 conductors in case I inserted the disconnect in the middle of a series. But, no expectation to tie together with a single neutral wire in the harness. That's just crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like Molex, but not for outdoor stuff. It looks like he's using a single Molex for most of the channels. So why not just use the standard water tight three-pin or four pin connectors?

They're inexpensive and readily available. I have 32 of them for my Mega tree (16 for data and power and another 16 for power injection). So I don't have any common conductors. It could be cool to have a large molex for that, but it sits in surface water on concrete and I've never had an issue with GFCI or shorts. Just an option. :)

Thinking about your question about current draw, with low voltage (5V, 12V) you need to calculate your current draw and ensure the cables/connectors you're using are sized large enough. If so, then the cables are fine. Too small of conductors for the load and you'll wind up with heat, voltage drop and poor performance (like flickering or incorrect colors).

Here's my Mega tree wiring. It's not pretty. It's all 5V too. If I could do it again I would use 1/2 of the connectors simply by using 12V. But it gets the job done, it's not much time to plug in once a year and I've never had water incursion. All 3-pin waterproof connectors that are labeled.
GsUABIN9Qy-ZwnlgO_Wt9w.jpeg
temp.jpeg
This is a pic of the controllers. Again, I could have cut the number of cables in half if I used 12V, but hey, this is still running today and doing a great job. I would not need power injection with 12V. But this was back when 5V was the shizz nizzle. So not perfect out of the gate, but always learning.

The Holiday Coro box on top of the stack houses my network switch, an E6804 and power supply for the mega tree pixel Bethlehem Star and an E6804 for a pixel cross I put up front and center.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. In the video he is using Molex connectors (3/4/5 pins) to ease connecting multiple channels/light strings. at once, in a single display, I thought about the watertight 3 or 4 pin connectors, but dismissed them because of the low voltage (5V, 12V) requirements, I'm not using pixels or DC current instead I will be using 120VAC LED light strings. When I do go to pixels, I would use your suggestion and experience to use those watertight connectors, however, I do like the way you constructed your controller stand that I can use for this year. For now, I'll keep exploring different options and keep looking for suggestions from the forum.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

Back