Wow this is great!

LOR Lagoon????

Somehow fitting...

SP3220050729124136.gif

R

... Tim comes over here and the thing goes right in the dumpster!

Tim is a BAD influence on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like I remember an old film about "The Creature from the LOR Lagoon" or something like that. :cool: :cool: :cool: ;)

Last edited:
Tim, Thanks for having the get-together at your house. I learned a lot...- the DIY Christmas guys helped me out :p
- but really did have a nice time. Thanks for the food, too.

Heya Tim,

Welcome....

Well I jumped into the DIY this year and I must say the learning curve can be a bit interesting at first but once you get past that it isn't so bad.

I really like the money I saved adding 80 channels of DIY renard's boards and the advice on the CSI soldering station was excellent! I never new how much a decent iron made thing so much better.

Someone just recently wrote an LOR plugin for Vixen that works flawlessly! So I guess I just came at the right time. And KC the writer of Vixen is as much attentive as Dan if not perhaps a bit more.

So that's what I experienced over the last couple of months, Thanks everyone for that! Oh and Thanks Macro for the new forum! :D

Now if I could figure out how to get a pict up by my name. LOL

Ted

When you become a supporting member you get to put an photo / avatar next to your name. You will need to subscribe on your "control panel" page.

It is well worth the $20 for the year... IMHO.

Glad it is all working out with LOR. Best to you and your display!

Heya Tim,

Welcome....

Well I jumped into the DIY this year and I must say the learning curve can be a bit interesting at first but once you get past that it isn't so bad.

I really like the money I saved adding 80 channels of DIY renard's boards and the advice on the CSI soldering station was excellent! I never new how much a decent iron made thing so much better.

Someone just recently wrote an LOR plugin for Vixen that works flawlessly! So I guess I just came at the right time. And KC the writer of Vixen is as much attentive as Dan if not perhaps a bit more.

So that's what I experienced over the last couple of months, Thanks everyone for that! Oh and Thanks Macro for the new forum! :D

Now if I could figure out how to get a pict up by my name. LOL

Ted,

I've been doing LOR since the year it came out (2003). Back then I was actually looking for a DIY solution to keep costs down, but the solutions back then were pretty primitive-- lots of people using DIO cards and 8-port parallel controllers. Hill's 320 controller came out around that time as well, but I really wanted a distributed solution and dimming... Had Renard been around at that time, I would have probably gone that way.

That said, LOR's been good to me and my display, so I really don't have any regrets. I've gotten good deals on all my boards so the cost difference isn't that dramatic (I've always just bought circuit boards, and solder-it kits, building up the remainder of the boxes myself). In the next year (after this season) I'll have to play with Vixen and see what all the hype is about :)

Would be interesting if someone could make a Renard that LOR S2 could drive -- that would really give folks options. I like the fact that you can get boards with 8, 16, and 24 circuits on them (There are places I like having 8-channel controllers -- 10 of my boxes are LOR CTB-08's) but 24-channel boxes would be great for mega trees, etc.

-Tim

Tim
I made the switch from LOR to DIY this year after I saw a demo of Lynx and LOR working together off the same wired network. Since then I have seen wireless networking work and control both LOR and Lynx. Today I put up a bunch of lights (all LEDs) on my roof and mounted a Lynx Express controller up there. I have one 12 ga extension cord running to the roof and am able to control all the lights while sitting at my basement computer which is running Win7 64bit. I sold 64 LOR channels and picked up 128 wireless Lynx channels for just about even money. Can't beat that. I even used the LOR2Vix utility program to bring across my sequences from LOR with nary a problem. now if it was only about August 1, I might have time to finish everything I want to do.

Jim Nealand
gymnasium on PC

Hey Tim,

Yeah I saw the old DIY stuff out their as well when I went with LOR. I've been happy with LOR but money has become more of a factor this year so for the price of one DIY PC16 I am getting 32 channels of renard.

Still going through the learning curve which has me behind a bit and after reading about the Lynx I wonder if I went the right route :D I have heard wireless is heading to the renards as well, I haven't had enough time yet to research that though.

Well I know what I did will work so I'm happy with that. The renard's will work with S2 if you get the LOR Idmx dongle. ;) I guess it would really be nice if you could just tie them in though via cat5.

Anyway I believe it's a great time to be checking out DIY, I think we will see a lot of great things come out of here in the next year.

Soon I'll have a picture by my name as well, thanks for that information!

Ted

Now that you've finally decided to validate the leader by including Light-O-Rama... I want to know what I have to do to get my Moderator status reinstated?!?:p Granted... I did it myself but...

Jeff
PS How is everyone? I haven't seen you all in quite a while.

Yes Leon,

Since this thread is pretty much a "Here's the LOR section..."

A year ago (+5 or 6 months) we adopted a poochie to fill the void left when Sammy passed. He was then a 1 1/2 YO Border Collie mix. We got him at an Animal Welfare, and as we were getting to know him Dawn noticed he had a small bump in his spine. We didn't think much of it as he was very active when outside, though very timid and shy when indoors. Last fall, I think it was late October, Dawn came home from work at lunch to let him out and found he was paralyzed from the midsection back. We rushed him to a local animal hospital, and they referred him to a clinic about an hour away. We had him there by 3pm and he was under the knife at 6am the next morning. They didn't give him a very good % of recovery, but he beat the odds. We spent the entire Holiday season caring for him and tending to him and just pretty much loving him till he was sick of us. Poor lil' guy. But he's walking again and doing very well. You can tell he occasionally has a little balance trouble, and he's not real fast getting up in the morning. But over all lifes good for him. He's keeping my feet warm as I type this.

I kept up causing trouble on the LOR forum all season, but I skipped blinky flashy for a year. The display hadn't changed much in three seasons so it needs a total overhaul anyway. I've got some close friends motivating me to make stuff. And all the folks who came to see lights and had to be re-diredted around the corner to AProcts house was kinda embarassing. Sometimes you gotts step back and take care of yer pooch, let the other stuff wait.

I hope and trust everyone is doing well!? ...and I'm glad you made a section for those of us like Tim and I who like to tinker with DIY and use LOR.

Jeff

Back