ws2811 mounting

PastorAndrew

I am new to this and doing my first display this year. I have 32 5m strips of ws2811 ribbon pixels. I have a couple of questions.

1. I want them up year round and would like to do a semi permanent installation (could be taken down if needed but not frequently). Does anyone have any recommendations for this. I have seen the aluminum channel with the diffusers, but that is out of my price range.

2. Where should I mount them on the fascia facing out or on the soffit facing down ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would love to know also. I am doing the same thing and want to keep the roof line pixels up all year. I bought them from Ray Wu and they are rated IP68 as are in the silicone tubing. Just worried though about sun, rain, snow and temperatures as can get to -25 degrees C and +35 degrees C here. Can I just mount those strips straight up as is or do I need something like the aluminum channel to help protect?

Here is what I'm doing this year.
e3acf955efdddb7e53d18d6d33a01357.jpg
7fd3564a3d9a961eb71a980e4a6ea5d1.jpg
e6b3b635af2152ea749db1da08bfb31d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also would like to see your light channel. Real nice installation, as seen in your photos. How about from the back?

This was the prototype. Using j channel. 2 piece in opposite direction.
Silicone caulk on the bottom to hold them together. Don't seal the top and it slides between the vinyl soffit and the metal flashing.
In stead of the silicone I may mount the first piece and the use self tapping screw to secure in the piece with the pixels. This would make it easier to service should that need arise.
My goal was nothing permanent and no holes in the house. I plan to leave them up year round.
2a87f2d9c2aa510e1d97679f6d527645.jpg
2b8a28168cbf7f501c78a674347caf1e.jpg

8109e511a32f043e93bacbef652eac80.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I like the work you did for your lights uzelessknowledge.
I am using the pixels strips from Ray Wu so that doesn't work for me. I just mounted my lights along the edge of the roof. Used NM Cable Wood Staples to hold the plastic strip that the pixels are in to attach to my wood edging. (Yes I know it needs a paint job badly.) Works good and easy to install, just not sure how the plastic in the staples will hold up to the temperatures. Did not hammer the nails in all the way so I can remove easily if I need to.

IMG_0741[2].jpg IMG_0744[1].jpg

Now I just need to do the last strip of lights along a rain gutter. Not sure how I am going to attach that. Any suggestions?

Very nice, I like the work you did for your lights uzelessknowledge.
I am using the pixels strips from Ray Wu so that doesn't work for me. I just mounted my lights along the edge of the roof. Used NM Cable Wood Staples to hold the plastic strip that the pixels are in to attach to my wood edging. (Yes I know it needs a paint job badly.) Works good and easy to install, just not sure how the plastic in the staples will hold up to the temperatures. Did not hammer the nails in all the way so I can remove easily if I need to.

View attachment 34004 View attachment 34005

Now I just need to do the last strip of lights along a rain gutter. Not sure how I am going to attach that. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I'm just using Pete Kimbell's design.

Yeah, if I had wood I wouldn't mind mounting holes, but you can't easily patch holes in vinyl siding.

I used a similar method of slipping the strip in the soffit ledge. With the strip that I used (undersill trim), my light strips point down towards the ground. I was happy with how they looked and they are well protected from the sun and rain. I drilled small holes so I could zip-tie the led strip to the undersill trim.

Attachments

• IMG_20160919_203244.jpg
    IMG_20160919_203244.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20160919_203539.jpg
    IMG_20160919_203539.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 497
I used a similar method of slipping the strip in the soffit ledge. With the strip that I used (undersill trim), my light strips point down towards the ground. I was happy with how they looked and they are well protected from the sun and rain. I drilled small holes so I could zip-tie the led strip to the undersill trim.

Nice. I considered strip but I already have the bullet nodes and also didn't want to deal with the casing in strip if something had to be replaced.
I like your density though. 60 per meter?

Nice observation. I didn't realize in the close-up picture that I posted an LED strip which I didn't use on my house. I used 12V 30/10 for my house. I thought I might be unhappy with the spacing and lack of control, but cost and ease of use left me buying more of the same this year. https://vimeo.com/143917287 shows my lights in action (it was my first year)

Nice observation. I didn't realize in the close-up picture that I posted an LED strip which I didn't use on my house. I used 12V 30/10 for my house. I thought I might be unhappy with the spacing and lack of control, but cost and ease of use left me buying more of the same this year. https://vimeo.com/143917287 shows my lights in action (it was my first year)

Oh ok. What's the power draw on the 12v 30/10?
Video link didn't work.

Nice job, looks great! (link worked fine for me)

Oh ok. What's the power draw on the 12v 30/10?
Video link didn't work.
Last year I bought my LED strips from Holidaycoro http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-Strip-30-LEDs-m-50-Pixels-m-p/700.htm The spec says 3 amps per strip. My longest run is 30' (across the front of the garage) so it would be about 6 amps. I never tested to see if reality matched the specs. I wasn't too worried about the full white scenario so didn't need to do any power injection along that run.

Not sure why you couldn't make the link work. You can try searching bjarmstr, vimeo, monster mash

Last year I bought my LED strips from Holidaycoro http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-LED-RGB-Strip-30-LEDs-m-50-Pixels-m-p/700.htm The spec says 3 amps per strip. My longest run is 30' (across the front of the garage) so it would be about 6 amps. I never tested to see if reality matched the specs. I wasn't too worried about the full white scenario so didn't need to do any power injection along that run.

Not sure why you couldn't make the link work. You can try searching bjarmstr, vimeo, monster mash

Thanks.
Think work is blocking it.

I did my strips in pex tube 3/4" and had my soffit installer leave the lip up a bit on the fascia wrap. He then bent me some extra white pieces that I cut into 3-4" pieces that also had a lip so I could slid my small pieces into that fascia/soffit edge there and pull it back and it would "lock" into each other like the jchannel photos above.

However, when the "mega tree" hit the house, they all had to come down and my new contractor made the fascia wrap TIGHT, so that does not work as perfectly now that I am getting them back up. The strips are going on 4 years in the pex tubing, so that has worked pretty well.

I have 41' of it and on full white I need power injection in the last 20% or so, I back feed it and that works easy enough.

The J channel in the vynil looks really well done, if I change out of strips someday ( would like more density really, so maybe go to a 60 pixels a meter vs nodes, don't know) at 41' I have 128 "nodes" of 3 pixels each, at 4" spacing that would be about the same and I would really love about 1" spacing. Be a nice way to light up the front yard too if I was out there working after hours.

Back