WS2811 -N- controllers issue ...

RGB_Mixer

Supporting Member
This is real weird.

FOUR different controllers, multiple sets of WS2811 pixels, some new, tested, and never used. Some older working strings, working props, and even some WS2815 strips ? NO IDEA WHY THIS DOES NOT WORK.

WS2811 pixels are 50 node strings as noted above. NEVER had anything like this happen in the past.

Controllers:
SanDevices (1) 6804 & (2) 682 and
Advatek (1) PixLite 16 MkII Long Range AND (2) PixLite MkI controller.

The 6804 gives me grief from time to time so it is my bench controller. I tried three more controllers that HAVE always worked in the past with these pixels ? this is what makes everything really strange.

NONE of the controllers can control any of the old or new strings. Does not matter which end the data feeds, although it was fed into the -DI- and operating at 12v as checked by the power supply and benchtop meters.

Can access BOTH PixLite controllers via their app program, verified settings and none of the test modes work.

Swapped out and went to SanDevices. 6804, setup for ws2811. Using DA_e131 v2200, chase, 6804 showed data IN and NO LIGHTS. Same for the 682 controller. It showed data IN and NO LIGHTS. CRAZY, RIGHT?!

Tried swapping out known good strings, new and previously tested strings, even tried a few WS2815 strips. NOTHING WORKED. Okay, this is strange.

I have not used the Oscope to see if there is signal reaching but since ONE pixel always lights, something is trying to work. I cannot see having to resort to that since it is FOUR controllers that are acting up with these WS2811 pixels.

Anyone else ever encounter this?

Not sure about the Pixlite controllers, but the E682 had a new firmware which addresses some timing issues that were changed in the WS2811's.
I had this issue a couple years ago and brought it to his attention and a new firmware was released that fixed it.

That is weird. Something else going on there Eddie. Since you are an old timer...what version of the firmware are you running on those controllers? Something with the longer than 50μs latch time?

That is weird. Something else going on there Eddie. Since you are an old timer...what version of the firmware are you running on those controllers? Something with the longer than 50μs latch time?

Just a note: These pixels worked with these controllers in the past. The sets I am testing were plugged into the Advtech controllers. I never had this happen when using the 6804 on the bench either. I have used WS2815 pixel strips and when they failed? OH ^%%@^%@%$^ and maybe some new adjectives too. :whtf:

This is why I am finding it hard to figure out what it might be. The fact I am using the same pixels that I have which I tested and put away for later, essentially NEW, is what is disturbing. I do have a Falcon v2 with the DX board, but that is going up for sale.

Thanks everyone :thup2:

UPDATE: IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR. Dunno how it happened but the test cord I have been using for years had the NEG and SIG swapped.

All is good cuz I ain't puttin out $420 for another Advatek. Never mind the entire display. Had some real interesting ideas how nothing worked which worked in the past.

Hey, I retired earlier this year. So, I make more mistakes now than when I was in the field doing my job.

Make a mistake with 4160 or 34.5K ... big ass fireworks!! I *LIKE* 12v DC today :biggrin2:

Last edited:
Back