Xlc-9

Well after printing 50 of these bulbs complete , I now have a little understanding of these wonderful little printers . :)

I started off with the stock print nozzle of .4 and no understanding of print settings lol . yeah i know rush to finish .
This took 2.4 hrs to print 1 white bulb . After playing with setting and realizing special modes thanks to Wilmar
time was reduced to 38 mins.
I was able to further reduce the time by adjusting Fr to 160 - 190 . This was by fluke in learning by trial and error .
One day i gotta read the instructions :)

Wilmar ..........! You are Gold ! :)

I managed to get 74 of your wonderful xlc9's on my gutters and WOW . A return to normalcy.
Yesteryear is where I want to stay , retro-old fashioned relic what ever they want to call t is just fine with me .

Now to print 5-6k more of them . Lookout Clark .

Thanks again Wilmar .
Cheers

Wilmar ..........! You are Gold ! :)

I managed to get 74 of your wonderful xlc9's on my gutters and WOW . A return to normalcy.
Yesteryear is where I want to stay , retro-old fashioned relic what ever they want to call t is just fine with me .

Now to print 5-6k more of them . Lookout Clark .

Thanks again Wilmar .
Cheers

Those look great congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, you guys convinced me. I’ve got 800 nodes from a tree I did 6 years ago and don’t use anymore. I ordered the 0.8 mm nozzles. I’ll put one on the Ender 3. I ordered the same PETG William linked to. But I saw where you said to slow the print speed down to get the PETG to stick. I’ve used Cura since I started but I haven’t adjusted any speeds yet. I see it’s set to 50mm per. What do you suggest for the speed?

Angus, you’re video got me hooked. I’ve wanted to do something like that from the first moment I saw a pixel. I just couldn’t find anything I liked. I have hundreds of Chinese bulbs, but I can’t stand the way they look. These things are beautiful, and look great on your house!

Thank guys,

Jeff

I just started printing Wilmar's bigger C9 with PTEG (first time trying it), with .8mm nozzle I slowed it down to 30ms and it seems to be doing great.

So what I did was I raised nozzle temp to 235 and have been able to successfully speed up to around 60ms with no issues . What I learned with spiral mode is if the spiral don’t stick try raising the temp has worked for me to allow for faster printing.

OK, got it. I will try as soon as I get my hands on stuff. Thank you. 11 months and change until I light these puppies up! ;-)

Jeff

So what I did was I raised nozzle temp to 235 and have been able to successfully speed up to around 60ms with no issues . What I learned with spiral mode is if the spiral don’t stick try raising the temp has worked for me to allow for faster printing.

Wilmar are your settings based on using a glass bed ? I didn't change any heat settings to get faster print time .
I just adjusted the Fr ,though this is on the standard bed plate .
White bulbs were perfectly fine with the Fr increase and the clear bulbs had a few bubbly artifacts in the last 15% or so .

Wilmar are your settings based on using a glass bed ? I didn't change any heat settings to get faster print time .
I just adjusted the Fr ,though this is on the standard bed plate .
White bulbs were perfectly fine with the Fr increase and the clear bulbs had a few bubbly artifacts in the last 15% or so .

Yes but on the large ones if the spiral don’t stick at higher Speed then try raising temp of nozzle .

OK, you guys convinced me. I’ve got 800 nodes from a tree I did 6 years ago and don’t use anymore. I ordered the 0.8 mm nozzles. I’ll put one on the Ender 3. I ordered the same PETG William linked to. But I saw where you said to slow the print speed down to get the PETG to stick. I’ve used Cura since I started but I haven’t adjusted any speeds yet. I see it’s set to 50mm per. What do you suggest for the speed?

Angus, you’re video got me hooked. I’ve wanted to do something like that from the first moment I saw a pixel. I just couldn’t find anything I liked. I have hundreds of Chinese bulbs, but I can’t stand the way they look. These things are beautiful, and look great on your house!

Thank guys,

Jeff

Wilmar nailed it out of the park for me with this xlc9 creation .
I will be converting all my string pixels to these for 2021 : )

Last edited:
Nozzles just got delivered, but I’m stuck on 16 hour days through the weekend due to the coming high winds and rain. Dang weatherman getting all excited over nothing. Otherwise, I would’ve been home for the weekend with Dawn and hour ago. She just asked what I’m buying with my overtime money. I reminded her I paid for our Christmas presents with the Discover card. So now I can look forward to the monthly cash back bonus, and that’s about it. ;-)

Jeff

Got the Black PETG tonight. Printed the very first base. I like this filament! Turned out perfect. White scheduled to be here Tuesday. That’ll give me time to change the nozzle on the Ender 3 for the bulbs. Getting the pixels out tomorrow to test and make sure they still work. When I used them for the tree, I had about 10-15 failures out of 800 over a month.

Jeff

Got the Black PETG tonight. Printed the very first base. I like this filament! Turned out perfect. White scheduled to be here Tuesday. That’ll give me time to change the nozzle on the Ender 3 for the bulbs. Getting the pixels out tomorrow to test and make sure they still work. When I used them for the tree, I had about 10-15 failures out of 800 over a month.

Jeff

What brand filament did you go with ?

I got the Dikale. It’s better than the Duramic PETG I paid twice as much for. I promise not to buy all of it I see on Amazon. Just a small portion... I put the 0.8mm nozzle on, and started the first bulb. At Fr of 110 (Hey baby steps...) it’s 40% done a t 24 minutes. The bases have been printing with a 0.4mm in an hour and 45 minutes. So, I guess I know what I’m doing with the other 0.8mm nozzle after this print ends.

The first bulb is a fail though. Somehow the filament got tangled on the reel. It caused the feed to slow, so about halfway up there’s a thin spot. I also realized after starting, that I left the temp at the default of 215. That’s just not hot enough I think.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience William...

Jeff

Attachments

• 8CA3C42B-5ADE-4ECC-BCBB-B883206FEB61.jpeg
    8CA3C42B-5ADE-4ECC-BCBB-B883206FEB61.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
I got the Dikale. It’s better than the Duramic PETG I paid twice as much for. I promise not to buy all of it I see on Amazon. Just a small portion... I put the 0.8mm nozzle on, and started the first bulb. At Fr of 110 (Hey baby steps...) it’s 40% done a t 24 minutes. The bases have been printing with a 0.4mm in an hour and 45 minutes. So, I guess I know what I’m doing with the other 0.8mm nozzle after this print ends.

The first bulb is a fail though. Somehow the filament got tangled on the reel. It caused the feed to slow, so about halfway up there’s a thin spot. I also realized after starting, that I left the temp at the default of 215. That’s just not hot enough I think.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience William...

Jeff

Awesome good to hear your rolling !!

The first bulb came unstuck from the bed at about 65%. I don’t have the white Dikale yet, only the black. I’ve got 12 bases printed, and the second bulb is going fine using 230 degrees and I used a raft to keep it nailed down. I have 3 PEI beds coming. I bought a 3rd for a friend’s kid. Then I got an email from the seller that they gifted a PEI sheet. Not sure if that’s just the PEI sheet, or the bed but I got a free gift so that’s something.

Richard said the PEI beds work great and the parts stick well. They’re on a slow boat from Ch. At least I’ll have time before they have to be ready.

Jeff

Back