Xlights model for drooping light strings?

1pet2_9

Hi,

Is there any model in Xlights, downloadable or otherwise, to model strings of lights which droop in the middle? Because that's what they do in real life. A straight line doesn't cut it, and the arch model doesn't seem to want to invert (even though it seems that would work). Really simple: you mount a string up at both ends, and gravity pulls it down. How to model that?

thanks!

Take a picture of the section that droops and import the picture to make a custom model. Then just click on the lights in the picture in order from first to last. It’s fairly simple.

I'm trying to find it, but Keith did a video where he bent the line of pixels around a portico. It is possible.

Found it. Using a poly-line:

1. Click to start your line.
2. Drag and then click to end your line.
3. Press <ESC> to stop drawing.
4. Click on the line (select).
5. Right click and select "define curve".
6. Click on the end you wish to use and drag the handle out to bend the line.
7. Clicking away from the line and handles stops the bending.

Note that while in the define mode, you can grab either end to bend the line.

Last edited:
Or, don't worry about it. Your layout screen doesn't have to look exactly like the actual prop.

Or, don't worry about it. Your layout screen doesn't have to look exactly like the actual prop.
True, unless you are using a lot of group/whole house effects to which you want as close to the actual as possible to get the effects to look right.

Thanks algerdes, I can try that trick. If I have to, I can try stringing up any long wire and take a picture of it. The straight line is what I settled for, for now. It's getting a bit late in the game at this point. I've got a 5:30 song to sequence while the more kitchen-inclined in the family are preparing Thanksgiving. Then again, I'm kitchen-inclined. After all, I heated up all that sand in the oven to pour into PVC pipe.

Back