Z80 end of the road

P. Short

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently Zilog has announced that they are discontinuing the Z80 microprocessor after almost five decades. It might be fun to try and make a pixel controller using that processor, much as a waste of time as that would be.

The processor has 64K address space. The systems that we designed in the late 1970's had a 2K boot PROM, a 6845 CRT controller using some address space for character storage, and memory implemented using 4Kx1 DRAMs. They also had a keyboard (no mouse, I'm not sure if they had been invented by then), a 5-1/4" floppy drive using a controller that was designed in-house, and later on small-capacity hard drives from Micropolis/Seagate/Shugart (I think the former, but I'm not sure any more).

I've got a couple Timex Sinclair computers that use the Z80 if you want to mess with them.... They're in pristine condition -- original boxes!!!

Not that I'm going to do anything immediately, but the other processor that I would want to play with is the CDP1802, the RCA COSMAC. It's pretty slow, but radiation-hardened version(s) made their way to the planet Jupiter aboard the Galileo probe, and allegedly in the Hubble space telescope.

When I used them, the biggest EPROM we could get was 32K and the peripherals were stuck in a 16KB space. We used these in the colecovison game system and had a few of the Z80 SOC devices in the Adam computer (built in prom space). Anyone still have a commodore VIC or C64. The Rockwell 6502 was a workhorse CPU.

Back