Zip Ties

rdj6107

thought i would share this find. especially to newbies, if your setup requires the use of zip ties, you will be suprised at how fast a bag of 100 will go. this morning i picked up a bag of 1000 zip ties from Northern Tools for $9.99. by being on their email list, i get mailed a $5 off $15 coupon 4-5 times a year.

20170227_103221.jpg

Monoprice has awesome pricing on zip ties too. Especially if you need multiple thousand 4" ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that white/clear ones? I have the same issue, 2 to 3 years old and they get brittle. It's not just monoprice but all white ones. I'm guessing it's because only the black has uv protection.

Mostly the white but some of the black as well (White failures are 3x the black failures). I have been shifting to the use of self sticking velcro for many of my previous zip tie applications.

I've been replacing all on a prop when they get brittle. And always use black to hang them by. It gets tiring to replace them. I have thought about going to old wire bread ties for permanent stuff.

I've been replacing all on a prop when they get brittle. And always use black to hang them by. It gets tiring to replace them. I have thought about going to old wire bread ties for permanent stuff.

If you just need holding strength, strip some solid copper, 24 gauge, CAT5 - - Wrap, twist, wrap again twist & trim. Should get you about 10 years.

I buy 5" & 8" black ones at Harbor freight $2.00 for 100. So far two years no failures. Every time I go in there I clean them out.

Not all wire ties are created equal.

I use "HVAC" wire ties because they're UV protected (and black) and are specifically designed to withstand very high and very low temperatures because they end up outside, in hot attics, etc. It goes to durability. I'd rather pay a little more for ties that will remain zipped for years to come. For seasonal stuff, where they get cut when everything gets packed away, I use the absolute cheapest ties I can buy.

Back