I must be doing something wrong

covewi

I am finally getting back into video mapping using Adobe After Effects. Heres an image of my house front that is being used for the masks.
This is only a learning project so please don't judge.
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.37.45 PM.jpg

The masks were created on the "house image"
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.38.22 PM.png
You can see from the photo the images (video actually) are being show in the masked areas.
But somewhere I am lost with the work flow.

Once a project is completed do I render this as a movie to project?
If so the movie has my house in it - that doesn't sound right - or am I supposed to project the image of the house onto the house with the content?
Shouldn't I just have a mask layer with the content.

Maybe I am creating the masks incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated.

Covewi

Last edited:
Hiding the house reveal this. Which does not look correct.
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.13.12 PM.jpg
Heres without the video content hidden.
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.15.23 PM.jpg
And with the content.
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.13.02 PM.jpg

Something is wrong with the masking process I would bet

Last edited:
Tried this:
layer #3 Solid layer < adjust transparency to 50 % or less , now create a mask and apply effects < when done restore transparency to 100%
layer #2 Solid layer < adjust transparency to 50 % or less , now create a mask and apply effects < when done restore transparency to 100%
layer #1 house < keep on the bottom < hide before render .

1.png
This mask appears to work correctly
2.jpg
Here I added another layer and content
3.png
Heres the second mask
4.jpg
This is what I get - but can't see the layer content thats below.
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.32.47 PM.jpg

Last edited:
More on the previous post.

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 8.33.02 PM.jpg

Then how would I add masks to that the window would show through the content? I added another mask to the first layer but the window don't show through.
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.55.07 PM.jpg
2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for your help - everything is coming back after "playing" around with AE for a while.

I do have one problem. After taking the house photo - form where the projector will be and setting the AE composition to that of the projector - I imported the house photo into AE.

The photo is much larger than the composition window so it needs to be scaled. Do I manually adjust the size (by grabbing the adjust edges) of the photo so it fills the composition windows?

In Ae select the image then click > layer\transform you will see fit to comp variables . :)

Last edited:
Back