inexpensive projector that run automagically?

toozie21

I have one of those cheap projectors from HD in my garage window and my kids love it. The only problem is that every night I have to go out and 1) turn it on 2) setup vertical rotation 3) flip it so the text is readable from the other side of the curtain 4) pick the videos and 5) setup the timer. What I would like is something that can save these settings (or maybe allow a pi to control it) and run automatically at a certain time or power up. Is there an option out there (and I don't mind buying used for this) that does this that won't cost me a million bucks?

You might be able to get a Harmony remote to run a schedule via IR. Some projectors have serial inputs for control but that may be more difficult to setup without spending quite a bit more money.

I'm using this projector (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C5MKS5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a Pi3 running Falcon FPP software. Warning, it is a cheap projector, but I found it adequate for digital effects. It can run off HDMI, VGA or SD card, but I've only used HDMI connected to the FPP. It remembers all the settings except built-in time when unplugged. You can also define a start time, stop time and source so the projector takes care of powering itself on/off. I turn it on 1 minute after FPP start and 1 minute before FPP stop.

I'm using this projector (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C5MKS5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a Pi3 running Falcon FPP software. Warning, it is a cheap projector, but I found it adequate for digital effects. It can run off HDMI, VGA or SD card, but I've only used HDMI connected to the FPP. It remembers all the settings except built-in time when unplugged. You can also define a start time, stop time and source so the projector takes care of powering itself on/off. I turn it on 1 minute after FPP start and 1 minute before FPP stop.
Thanks! Have you had any experience with trying to use it to display through a vertical window?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Have you had any experience with trying to use it to display through a vertical window?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Anyone at all have vertical windows they use? My wife wants it bad and our windows are skinny and tall.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I know for sure that Atmos has vertical files in most of their videos. Some they say have two horizontal files one being optimized for vertical. We recently purchased a new house and tried to get it working in very short time (2 days) but didnt have enough time to really get it done right so ended up using horizontal mode at the old house. But its doable with vertical windows just needs really fine adjustments (or at least on my windows it will). Good luck.

Back