LED Video Projectors

covewi

Any info on LED video projectors. 5000 lumen units can be had for around $300.
They appear to have long light life and good lumen ratings.
The contrast ratio is not that good, as "bulb" type projectors, unless used in near total darkness.
Does 5000 LED lumens match up to 5000 "bulb" lumens.

Are they worth the investment?

Also beware that China apparently has their own scale of measuring lumens and it doesn't coincide with accepted U.S. standards. You might order something that's advertised as 7000 lumens and what you'll get is about one-tenth that, at best.

Also beware that China apparently has their own scale of measuring lumens and it doesn't coincide with accepted U.S. standards. You might order something that's advertised as 7000 lumens and what you'll get is about one-tenth that, at best.

TRUTH! Prime example is LED Flashlights. China sellers market "1000 lumen LED" flashlights...however light output is 100 - 200 actual lumens. My rule of thumb when looking at chinese lights is to lose the last zero. they sell 1000, I expect 100...that way IF it is brighter I'm pleasantly surprised.

Thanks - the LED projector idea is out.

What is the minimum protector resolution would you suggest for home video projection / mapping?

im using a 3500 short throw. it works fine but i also bought a 5500 lumen one and its not even a comparison. im just waiting for my short throw lens to switch. you can get an idea by looking a my first attempt at mapping. since this video i added 10 more minutes i will soon post. its actually a lot better than my first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QF6nXsLcJY

Someone is selling a gently used Optoma DW312 locally asking $200. The specs show it is an older model with, 1280x800 and 3200 lumens. I was thinking it would be a good starter projector, what do you guys think??

Someone is selling a gently used Optoma DW312 locally asking $200. The specs show it is an older model with, 1280x800 and 3200 lumens. I was thinking it would be a good starter projector, what do you guys think??

I have two Optoma projectors. I use a 3000 lumen short throw for our rear projection outdoor screen. They deliver as promised. The issue is going to be your lamp. That model is a DLP and lamp life can vary from 1,000 to 7,000 hours. On a projector that old, I wouldn’t expect much more life out of it.

a new lamp for that projector will bring your price close to what you can pay for a new one. genuine projector lamps for projectors in this class are in the $100-150 range. A new projector with those specs starts under $400 these days.
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-Br...6ST4YW2MBPH&psc=1&refRID=P3NZ8NVM26ST4YW2MBPH

Ask the seller how many hours are on the lamp, and how many total hours on the projector. If it's above 1000 hours on the lamp, you're more than half way to a new one. If the projector has more than 6000 total hours, don't bother with it.

Thanks Jon! I'll find out about the hours on the lamp even though they said it was rarely used. I was thinking of talking them down to $150.

Back