What projector are you using and how do your results meet expectations ?

angus40

Supporting Member
Hi Folks

I am to the point that I am going to dive into projecting video and wanted to see others suggestions through their experience .

Do you prefer short throw ?
Are you using more than one projector ?

I'd like to be over prepared ,so a few questions here also .
Have you had to alter your projection surfaces for better results ?
What type of transmission are you using that provides optimum performance ?

All experienced replies welcome and anything else i have missed or overlooked.

I would like to go big in this without to big a budget :biggrin2:

Are you going to do projection mapping large scale or the kind of projection that involves small elements or window projection? I just starting playing with rear projection for a window I have. I am using a small cheap projector I bought a couple of years ago. I would get a much nicer one if I was into projection mapping.

I know you love your videos and you probably stumbled on this one (Baird manor) already but it is good. Same guy did a comparison of several projectors for small scale shows so follow into his videos and see some of his other stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USxr_L1z0a8

Thank you for your reply . I had not seen this link you provided .
Definitely budgetary what he (Baird manor) has going on there .

Well I purchased a cheap projector that has decent ratings to test with on my house . If it looks good enough for show I will purchase another . If not it will be good enough to replace St.Nick in the window . :)

For anyone interested in projection , here is a great video that may help you out .

It is neat the this fellow discovered the Christmas light hobby forums and the Falcon - Player in doing his projection .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJ6o-01hKY

I really gotta check out FPP one of these days . :)

Well thanks alot Angus!!.... Now your thread had me remember I had an old projector gathering dust downstairs..... And that damn familiar thought creeped into my head..... "oh man...wouldn't that be cool if...." :eek:mg: lol. Now I have the itch to play with projection mapping or at the least, some kind of window projection haha. And I'm already behind on my prep and build for a December 1st launch

For anyone interested in projection , here is a great video that may help you out .

It is neat the this fellow discovered the Christmas light hobby forums and the Falcon - Player in doing his projection .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJ6o-01hKY

I really gotta check out FPP one of these days . :)

I'm wondering how I would do something like timed window projection to sync with the show playback in vixen. And NO, I'm not switching to fpp for whole setup this close to launch lol. That would be suicide. Making things interesting, it's an older projector with things like serial ports for pc control no USB or hdmi. And the show pc would likely be a floor down from where the window projection would happen

I'm wondering how I would do something like timed window projection to sync with the show playback in vixen. And NO, I'm not switching to fpp for whole setup this close to launch lol. That would be suicide. Making things interesting, it's an older projector with things like serial ports for pc control no USB or hdmi. And the show pc would likely be a floor down from where the window projection would happen

Has svideo as well....

Has svideo as well....

Sorry friend I am of little help ,especially with Vixen FPP etc .
I am floundering like a Christmas light hobbyist out of season ATM .:)

I am using this projector outside on the exterior of my house .Will either be triggering it with HLS
or integrating along side. Will post more as I go along .

BTW how is your gutter solution coming along ?

Sorry friend I am of little help ,especially with Vixen FPP etc .
I am floundering like a Christmas light hobbyist out of season ATM .:)

I am using this projector outside on the exterior of my house .Will either be triggering it with HLS
or integrating along side. Will post more as I go along .

BTW how is your gutter solution coming along ?
Tbd. I've designed lots of 3d parts or unique solutions. I am kind of stunned that there is next to no info or solutions for mounting gutter guarded lights. One possibility is to use the shingle clips slightly to the back of the gutter. Although then that risks lifting the shingle up as it would likely be sealed if it contacts the gutter surface... The other factor if I wanted to get in to that little gap, I would have very thin sections with all the weight on it. I could see snapping... I couldn't agree more! I feel like I'm spinning my wheels when I should be halfway done lol

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

My projector is an older epson I already had and it’s amazing covers the entire garage door
bf81f94b1170072412da9c8116a1be52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Run with an extra pi 3b+ in remote mode to sync with the master show pi with fpp as a virtual matrix best addition I’ve made so far . No mapping

I Run with an extra pi 3b+ in remote mode to sync with the master show pi with fpp as a virtual matrix best addition I’ve made so far . No mapping

Your display is looking real good ! :)

Back