How much RAM ?

Joe Paul

Supporting Member
Hi Folks,

I am about to upgrade the RAM on my laptop in hopes that it may give me an advantage with the performance of Vixen. So my PC has only 4 gigs RAM. I am about to add up to 32 gigs. Does anyone here use Vixen for their shows with only 4 gigs of RAM on a Windows machine? (I have seen the Vixen system requirements documentation; 4 gigs bare minimum I gather.)

Thanks!

Take care, Joe.

4 gigs is pretty much the bare minimum to run windows 10 or 11. With that little memory, there will be a lot of competition between the various services and programs that run in the background on a modern windows machine. Vixen will run on this but you?re going to be pretty limited in performance for anything but a small traditional ac light show. Especially if you plan on using the scheduler.
16gb is pretty standard these days. 32 is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll also add that before you purchase the additional RAM, check with the laptop's manufacturer to make sure you can add the memory you need. Sometimes the same laptop model may use different versions of motherboards and they may or may not support the additional RAM. I found this out the hard way a few years ago...

4 gigs is pretty much the bare minimum to run windows 10 or 11. With that little memory, there will be a lot of competition between the various services and programs that run in the background on a modern windows machine. Vixen will run on this but you?re going to be pretty limited in performance for anything but a small traditional ac light show. Especially if you plan on using the scheduler.
16gb is pretty standard these days. 32 is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the information!!!

For $69 for 32 gigs, I cannot go wrong. I know the machine is slow with spreadsheets and certain software like QuickBooks.

Take care, Joe.

Last edited:
I'll also add that before you purchase the additional RAM, check with the laptop's manufacturer to make sure you can add the memory you need. Sometimes the same laptop model may use different versions of motherboards and they may or may not support the additional RAM. I found this out the hard way a few years ago...

Many thanks for the reply and warning! I checked Cricial's site with the model number and watched several videos about making the addition. Doubled checked the part numbers. One reason I bought the laptop a few years ago (Acer Aspire 5) was because it was easy to open. Has 2 slots, one with the 4 gigs in it. So I'll try two 16s.

Take care, Joe

Back