SMS Messaging Application - Send SMS's to your Display

Re: Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

I got everything running - I think. The log shows that it connects to my yahoo account, logs in, an says message count 4. But nothing shows up on the matrix.
The matrix does work when playing a local message.

The other thing is - if I sent a text message I get a response that states " please ensure you enter the message in the subject line" What does that mean?

Basically if I sent an email or text it gets to the gmail account "inbox" and Vixen messaging appears to say there are messages but they don't show on the matrix.

Thans

PM sent.

Howdy Gnarmstr,

Just downloaded your 32 bit version. I'm running Vixen 3.2u2. The blacklist and the whitelist are both empty, and I get this .net error when the program starts up....
Vixen Messaging Error.JPG
the details for the error are....
"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.
at System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles)
at System.Convert.ToDateTime(String value)
at Vixen_Messaging.FormMain.LoadData() in c:\Users\Geoff\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Vixen Messaging\FormMain.cs:line 534
at Vixen_Messaging.FormMain.FormMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\Geoff\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Projects\Vixen Messaging\FormMain.cs:line 82
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Vixen_Messaging
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vixen%20Messaging/Vixen_Messaging.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34270 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
OpenPop
Assembly Version: 2.0.5.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.5.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vixen%20Messaging/OpenPop.DLL
Resources
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0 "

Once I get it configured and running, and the Vixen web server is enabled, I get two pop ups from Vixen stating...

"Sequence Upgrade"
Migrating sequence from version 0 to version 1.

And

"Sequence upgrade"
Migrating sequence from version 1 to version 2

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

Can you tell me what version of my app you have? It should be up the top or on the help page.

What version of Windows are you using? As it is not supported for XP. Also if you have Windows 7 or 8 you may need to download and install .net 4.2 or higher.

The blacklist and white list should not be empty. This could be a result of the error you have so ensure you have .net 4.2 installed and also ensure your virus software is not causing any issues, may need to turn it off just to see and if so then add my software folders to the ignore list on your virus software. See instructions.

As for the migrating I thought I fixed that in both 64 and 32, but I only tested the 64bit so will check it tonorrow. This is because of the changes in Vixen.

Version 3.2.2 of the ap. Windows 7 Pro. .Net version 4.5.2.

Virus protection off and still get the blank black and white lists. Which is no big deal, I found some pretty good ones via Google.

Thanks for your help!!

Just downloaded and tested on my 64 bit box running windows 10, same issues. Just an FYI..

Thanks Again for your help,

Mark

Version 3.3.1 released to provide compatibility with Vixen 3.3 and higher. See first post.

Version 3.3u2 Major revision.

For those interested I have completely redone the Vixen Messaging App to make it look and feel the same as Vixen and to significantly reduce the complexity.

- The new version only excepts messages from Twilio, after using it for two sessions I felt that Twilio was the simplest and most efficient way to have the audience send messages to your Display.
- Updated to work with the latest Vixen 3.3u2 and above.
- Updated to use the latest Text effect, settings and added basic two color gradient.
- Can send an instant message to your Display.
- Can still send a countdown to a specified date message to your Display.
- Smaller, faster and cleaner.
- If there are any issues installing it then as per very first post, you may need to add an exception in your virus software.

Vixen Messaging.jpg

Download 64bit Version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3dp4nq9w3lwj2a/Vixen%20Messaging%203.3u2%2064bit.exe?dl=0

Download 32bit Version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc4bu37pfsi8uiu/Vixen%20Messaging%203.3u2%2032bit.exe?dl=0

Videos

Demo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkurn960dx6s9so/Vixen%20Messaging%20Demo.mp4?dl=0

Setup Twilio
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8qnogrjqnpga14/Twilio.mp4?dl=0

Control Messaging App from a Vixen Sequence
https://www.dropbox.com/s/28egjk9qmxmo8fd/Control%20Messaging%20From%20Vixen.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

This is really great stuff!

Is there anyway to set it so that they simply text in their name and a pre-programmed message will display, such as "Merry Christmas, Danielle!"?

This is really great stuff!

Is there anyway to set it so that they simply text in their name and a pre-programmed message will display, such as "Merry Christmas, Danielle!"?

How would you then to try and communicate that to the audience. Where as they can just type that message in and send it.

What I would like is to have greetings already picked out, and the name they text in drops in at the end of the greeting, that way I can, mostly, control what is displayed.

My paranoia is lurching up about giving them control over what is displayed, even with the "cuss" filters in place.

What I would like is to have greetings already picked out, and the name they text in drops in at the end of the greeting, that way I can, mostly, control what is displayed.

My paranoia is lurching up about giving them control over what is displayed, even with the "cuss" filters in place.

I understand your concern, however over two seasons I haven't had any bad words get through and only a few people have tried but the app will ban their phone number if they try more then once and a return message to them on there cell phone stating this.

Last edited:

Even if your an Xlights user you can still use this app with Vixen installed and just have a dedicated matrix for messaging. I use a 1x7 P10 panel matrix.

I have made some more updates and added a couple of more features. Download the latest from the first post, link below.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/fo...n-Email-SMS-a-message-to-your-Matrix-Megatree

I have had some great feedback from the QLD Mini. Please read the entire first post before installing.

I hope it gets some use.

Updated first post with a couple more videos and details.

Updated SMS Messaging App 30 Jul 17 - To V3.4

- Added new Display Message Form and moved the Display messages to this form.
- Also added a message textbox so you can add unlimited number of messages to display (randomly), each new line will be a separate message.

Would be great if someone could test it for me. See first post for 32 and 64 bit links. Just uninstall your current version and install new one. Your old settings will remain so no need to re-enter these.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Geoff

Last edited:
For those that are using the latest version 3.4 of my software I have updated it to include it's own basic scheduler, when enabled on the main page it will turn the messaging app On and Off based off the scheduler. Go to Settings Scheduler and change the times for each day of the week.

To save you uninstalling and installing the app, just copy the two files linked below and over write them in your Program Files/Vixen Messaging folder on C drive. Just make a back up of the original files first, just in case. Once you copy these two files, run the app and you will see the scheduler enabled on the main page and scheduler in settings.

Also the app will create another log file message.log now contains just the audiences mobile number, message received and date/time of message.

Vixen_Messaging.exe
Resources.dll

Back