Christmas mini lights (filament/incandescent, not LED) - voltages and types

TwinkleToes

I have some Christmas mini lights (filament), the type on a wire loop that plug directly into the mains with no transformer or control box with assorted settings. They're either on or they're off. The bulbs are the push-in type that look like this:

https://www.thechristmasshop.co.uk/p/coloured-bulbs-for-140-konstsmide-lights

Because I'm in the UK the mains voltage is 240 volts - as the string of lights plugs straight into the mains that of course doesn't mean the bulbs are each capable of handling 240 volts. I always thought that they were usually rated at around 9 volts (but now see from looking online that some even start at 1.5 volts). Because they are wired in series on a string that means that the voltage is 'evened out' between the bulbs (there's 100 on a string). Therefore in series that's 100 mini lights and a mains voltage of 240, meaning each bulb is rated at 2.4 volts? Is that correct?

I also note that if I bend out the wires on the base I can test them individually with a small 9 volt PP3 battery and the light seems as bright as it is when they are on the string powered from the mains. However if they really are only 2.4 volts each then I need to be careful to only very quickly check any suspect ones at 9 volts .......

In addition to the above does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of the different sizes and voltages of filament mini lights? I've tried Googling but to no avail. I know that some have a slightly wider base for example and they don't plug into some light strings with push-in holders that are designed for a slightly narrower base, other have a slightly different shaped base. It would be useful to be able to look at a table when ordering spare bulbs to ensure that the right size and voltage is purchased. Unfortunately these mini lights of different sizes don't seem to have any markings, I guess there's no industry standards then?

Last edited:
You are correct on almost all counts. Those lights are not just on/off. They can be dimmed using an AC SSR such as those on the Renard Controllers. Here in the USA, it is difficult to order them. They are no longer allowed to make them so the best you can get is older "new" stock (aka leftovers). You always order by Mains Voltage / number of bulbs in the string. Most string in the US were 50/50 or 35/35 strings

Back