Getting started with Video Projection

TomsLEDs

Supporting Member
Adding Super Short Throw projector over the garage. Plan is to move the low resolution grid videos to higher resolution via projection on the garage door. I know so far I will need a 2nd Pi player in remote mode and a virtual matrix. What I am not grasping is how timing effects will be coordinated with my Vixen sequences and the projected video? Was thinking I could have 2 versions on the video and use the low res on the grid to get timing down, and delete the grid video and trigger the projector video. What method in Vixen could I use to do this?

If you are doing a virtual matrix that would indicate you are not playing videos but playing sequences? So, it would be just like using more than one FPP instance?

I could be wrong but I think if you are playing video (ie an actual .mp4), then I think FPP can still handle that as just another media type and keep it in sync with the rest of the display.

I asked Jeff and he said this: You can use the custom values effect to set values on a channel that FPP can trigger on. I have not done this myself recently, but I had tested it several years ago. As I recall you set up the video to be played as a preset command. Then in the output configuration you setup a control command that is triggered from a value on a specified channel. So one channel could control up to 255 preset commands.

I asked Jeff and he said this: You can use the custom values effect to set values on a channel that FPP can trigger on. I have not done this myself recently, but I had tested it several years ago. As I recall you set up the video to be played as a preset command. Then in the output configuration you setup a control command that is triggered from a value on a specified channel. So one channel could control up to 255 preset commands.
But this would be free running and can result in minor time shifting between the video and the rest of the display.

The virtual matrix I saw being used with P10 panels, the channels and data got quite extensive for higher resolution videos. I would rather avoid that and just key MP4's to play in time with my sequences. That is where the keeping it in sync using FPP is not clear to me.

Go to the manual and look for the section "Playing Video". Basically, it tries to sync the video just like it would a .fseq.

If you are talking about having multiple videos play during a sequence, I believe syncing those would be beyond the capabilities of FPP. You could trigger multiple different videos using commands but startup time would vary and syncing would not occur. You'd have to tweak the start time based on your experience in getting the video to play. Instead of multiple videos, you could just put black between them and mold them into one video. Black might actually look like something depending on your projector so then maybe you want to create an external shutter (Jon Chuchla did this and wrote it up for one or more of the forums).

Thanks Mike. What I am looking to do is move the videos I play on my grid to the projector in 1K resolution vs. 34x30 low res grid. That is why I am trying to sync it with my Vixen sequences.

I found this video very helpful.

He does a low res virtual matrix in his sequence so you can see it while sequencing. Then takes just the matrix part to a separate sequence with just the matrix. Then exports that to a video file.

I?m not sure if Vixen has a similar export function.

The video file has to have the same name as the .mp3 file.

I notice a little bit of offset so it isn?t always synched perfectly, but usually hard to notice when watching all of the lights on the house and yard. https://youtu.be/F3FPHN_uzto?feature=shared

Thanks for the link. I will experiment with my current projector. It upscales to 4K but I will stick with 1080P for now. I got almost 9 more months, should be plenty of time, right?

So I got the Epson projector off of Ebay. Makes a descent 100" 1080P picture. Now thinking to keep that resoultion I will need to trigger videos and not play sequence files through virtual matrix. Need to start expiermenting with timing but forgot I haven't bought the 2nd PI player yet. Trying to space out the spending so the wife doesn't get too upset.

Well as long as I have invested in this projector I thought I should set it up for daily use if desired.

Epson-1.png

Back