Matrix Framing

algerdes

Supporting Member
Before I ask this question, I want to say that for the past 14 years we have built everything with at least a minimum of 1 and 3/8 inch TRF (Top Rail Fence). Posts for trees are a minimum of 1 and 1/4 inch black pipe. In many cases, it is even bigger for both.

Enter a new twist. When using 1 & 1/2 spaced matrix material (Boscoyo) we found that the TRF worked, but it was awfully close to the first row of pixels (from any direction). It worked, but to make repairs to the first row was a bit of a challenge.

We are now using 1" spaced matrix material and find the TRF to overlap the first rows. A smaller diameter pipe appears to be needed.

What do you folks use to make the frames for matrix panels? All the panels we are wanting to make this year are 4 foot by 8 foot. If it were you, what would you use?

Thanks in Advance for your ideas toward this.
Al

All the panels we are wanting to make this year are 4 foot by 8 foot. If it were you, what would you use?
That could be quite Heavy, I'm assuming around 5k pixels, or more. I only have a small 2x4 @ 2.5 inch spacing. Not that heavy.

I do electrical work on my day job so I use Electrical Conduit in a lot of what I do. I'm familiar with it, it's easy to get, and I can
take it to work to Bend, cut and thread it, or what ever I need to do with it.
EMT is thin wall and might not be rigid enough by the time you get down to the 3/4" or smaller to install and be out of the
way of the first row of pixels. 1/2" or 3/4" Rigid might fit the bill.
If it doesn't need to be hollow, (Pipe), you could always use something like Rebar, or solid steel round stock. It would add weight
for sure and cost more too. I use a combo of a piece of rebar drove into the ground with a piece of aluminum conduit slipped over
it for several of my controller boxes.
Anyway, That's what I would do.

I simply did not use the edge rows. I use 3/4" PVC that is located behind the top/bottom and side rows / columns. Still has plenty of pixels in there. I did cut my matrix down a bit to 6'x4' to fit in my application. It is still pretty heavy. Would not want to lift the full 4x8 version.

During "review" this morning, we discovered that 3/4" EMT will work as we are going to have to build a carriage (with wheels) for each of the matrix panels. The carriages (multiple) will be made out of 1 & 3/8" TRF with 6" Cross-Country wheels. Each carriage will hold the control box (power supplies and controller) for that panel.

One carriage will also contain an additional control box with the master RPi/FPP, the comm switch, and the the transmitter (antenna is a J-Pole and will be setup behind this panel). The panels will be bolted to the carriage. The control and power boxes will be mounted so that they can "swing" away for work on the pixels behind them when needed.

BTW Martin, the Boscoyo 1" on center can be either 47x95 (4,465 nodes) or 46x94 (4,324 nodes). Like you, to avoid the outer rows we are going with the 4,324 version.

Attachments

• J-Pole Antenna.png
    J-Pole Antenna.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 6
I always try to solve problems by looking at them from different angles. For example, consider erecting a waterproof screen and using a digital projector. Less wiring, better image quality, single-point power. A screen is not nearly as heavy; it can be suspended from tree limbs and fastened at the bottom to ground stakes. Also easier and a lot less expensive to replace. You could also use a rear-projection screen for an even cleaner look.

Good ideas Dave. Unfortunately projection is not possible here. (Too many folks "looking" while there is no one there to monitor the location.)

I do want to say one thing. Being able to present the idea in front of folks that "have a clue" helps so much. A nudge here (like Ray's thoughts on EMT) and a push there (like Martin's not using the edge rows) and reviewing photos from past adventures is a great way to kick the cobwebs loose and get back on track to make this happen.

Thanks everyone. Now I'm off to build 3 of these and modify 3 others. Should give me something to do for the next couple of days (weeks?). ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 10
Back