vixen and DMX

i haven' never messed with pixels but for this year i want to start with DUMB RGB I understand that the an entire string of smart pixels can be one color as well, i just feel more comfortable starting off with the dumb pixels My question is when adding a DMX controller to vixen do what option do i use DMX PRO or DMX OPEN ? thanks in advance

Don't do DUMB RGB. But if you have already, then the answer lies in what hardware you are using to interface. What kind of dongle do you have? Do you have an open or a pro? Likely that any cheap 485 style dongle will use dmx open.

I deleted my 16 channel DMX controller last year. I was using one section of my Sans E386 controller in DMX mode. I did not use Pro so it must have been open. Worked well, I'm just eliminating all the static props. Now running 4 maxed out E386 cards so I will need to build another this year.

The products you mention are both for USB connection to the host PC.

Either will work - if you want to save some money just get a USB to RS485 converter, that does exactly the same as the DMX open. That's what I use. I think the PRO version offers better electrical isolation etc. The only thing missing is a DMX style XLR connector.

DMX is just serial data, specifically it's differential which is what the RS485 gives you.

Back