128 Channel PIC Dimmer System

FireGod

This system is a PWM type of system so it will work with incandesant or LEDs.

The baud rate is 115,200 bps and the I/C is running at 40 MHz.

The system consists of:
12 VAC wall wart transformer
One (1) PC Interface
Four (4) 32 Channel Field Modules
Thirty Two (32) 4 Channel SSR's

All 128 channels of data is sent to all four modules. The field modules identify their respective module numbers with hardware jumpers and only accepts the data it needs.

The plugin allows you to run 1, 2, 3, or 4 modules. 32 consecutive channels are sent to a module. The user selects the starting channel of the 32 channels.

The PC interface connects to a 9 pin RS-232 serial port on the PC. The RS-232 data is converted to RS-485 and sent to the field modules. Since the data is transmitted via RS-485, the distance of the cable between the PC Interface and the field module(s) can be a several hundred feet. I have not tested that yet, I'm working on testing ~ 150 feet.

Below is a diagram of the architecture.
Arch1.JPG

Below is a picture of the PC interface.
PC_interface.JPG

Below is a picture of the 32 Channel Field Module.
32_ch_field_module.JPG

The connections for the SSR's are right for Sean's SSR's.

The system is capable of bi-directional communication.

For those that are interested:

Here is the bill of materials

Here is the field module ExpressPCB file

Here is the PC Interface ExpressPCB file

Here is the .ASM file (for sourcing controllers, +5VDC turn on triac)

Here is the .HEX file (for sourcing controllers, +5VDC turn on triac)

Here is the Vixen plugin file (place the file in the Vixen plugins directory)

Note: Be sure to get the latest version of ExpressPCB at www.ExpressPCB.com

Edit: July 10, 2007 Added FGDIMMER_50Hz.HEX file
Edit: August 13, 2007
Added FG_SINK_50HZ.ZIP (ASM & HEX file)
Added FG_SINK_60HZ.ZIP (ASM & HEX file)

Attachments

• fg_sink_50hz_716.zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 121
  • fg_sink_60hz_127.zip
    12 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
If I have not said it before, great work. This is a really great looking system, and a great concept. If I was not already commited to the 64 channel Renard design, I would probably go this route. But on the other hand, I prefere all my control boards to be in a centralized location. Less water proof enclosures.

This is a great design, and I hope it makes it's way into a few displays this year.

Keep up the great work and development.

So i assume with the information from the old forum that this requires 11vac or 240 (or whatever it is in oz)vac? If not, what voltage does it use?

Zane said:
So i assume with the information from the old forum that this requires 11vac or 240 (or whatever it is in oz)vac? If not, what voltage does it use?

It uses a Mouser P/N 412-212104 wall transformer (found on the Bill of Materials referenced in the first post above). It is a 120VAC to 12VAC 1000mA transformer. The PC interface uses the 12VAC for the zero crossing signal and also rectifies it and regulats it down to 5VDC for the electronics.

The Bill of Material includes EVERYTHING you need except the boards, SSRs, and CAT5 cables.

Revised the picture of the PC interface to show the 2200UF capacitor and the deletion of the adjustable voltage regulator.

David Scott Caffey

David,

Is there a document somewhere that shows what the serial protocol is? You described it at one time, but I'm having trouble finding it over the jumble at picdimmer.

--

Phil

P. Short said:
David,

Is there a document somewhere that shows what the serial protocol is? You described it at one time, but I'm having trouble finding it over the jumble at picdimmer.

--

Phil
34bytes per module:
sync char 85 dec (55h)
module number (1, 2, 3,or 4)
32bytes of data (100 dec (64h)= 0% and 200 dec (C8h)= 100%)

Thanks. Switching to that protocol would make it much easier to dim the 64-channel 595 board (except for that fact that it seems to be 101 levels, rather than 100 levels).

--

Phil

Is a schematic available??

Looks like you've done an excellent job!! Is there a schematic of the two boards that might be available?? (The PCB's and layouts are listed - but no schematic).

Thanks in advance!

Hi. Pls excuse me if this info's posted somewhere; I couldn't find it.

Any reason why you couldn't build / use just 1 computer interface and 1 field module, then add the ohter 3 field modules later?

"The system is capable of bi-directional communication". What does this get you?

Is a pic programmer required or would you just solder everything together and you're good to go?

I built Sean B's SSR's last year with the help of pictures and board layout diagram, but don't have a lot of experience otherwise. Should I be concerned about the complexity of this?

Thanks so much!

Yes, you can build one interface and one field module. You can use any combination 1, 2 ,3 or 4 field modules.

Bi-directional communication: Later, someday, there may be firmware upgrade progamming available via software w/o a programmer. And in the future, someone may want to use a channel for an input back to Vixen to trigger some other event. Bi-directional communication is not used now but may be used in the future. Right now, when the field modules boot up, they transmit a module selection signal strength byte (four per field module) to indicate which channel they are assigned to. Vixen ignors this transmission and it could only be used for troubleshooting.

A PIC programmer is required. I have used a cheap one. See the thread:
JDM $14.99 PIC Programmer

It is as complex (or simple) as the Renard systems. Programming takes the same steps as the Renard, just a different I/C. The programmer has to accept a 40 pin I/C.

That is the one. It looks like they increased the price.

The 18F4525 is supported. I see that the BOM has the wrong description of the I/C but the part number is correct. I'll fix the BOM tonight.

Be sure to use Winpic 800, not Winpic. Winpic overwrites the frequency calibration settings and it will render your I/C useless.

Can anyone confirm or say with certainty that FireGod's controller will work with Sean's SSR boards? I know the SSR's ability to dim is dependent on the parts used, but I think I've confirmed I've used the right parts.

I asked Sean his opinion. "If it is working off turning on the TRIACs at different times during the AC cycle, like the Renard, then it should work."

Also, would the way the CAT-5 is wired work without any modification? I think it looks the same but I'm not convinced I'm looking at it right. Thanks.

The power jack part number is wrong. The BOM indicates 806-KLDX-0202-B but it should be 806-KLDX-0202-A

Sorry for any troubles, I am not sure how that happened.

The part number for the 100 UF Cap, C4 is obsolete on Mouser. Do you know of a substitute for this Cap or a part number from another vender that will work?

Richard

1 C4 100 uF cap 75-515D25V100

Ordering Information
Stock: 0
On Order: ---
Factory Lead-Time: 52 Weeks (Estimated)
Pricing: ---
Important Information: This product is Obsolete.
Mouser does not stock this product. However it may still be available.
Product Info.

Thanks for the information about the substitute Capacitor.

Do Radio Shack stores stock the heat sink, #276-1368 on the BOM? I looked it up on their web site and its $1.99, though with a six dollar shipping and handling fee. Seems pretty expensive just to ship a little heat sink.

Thanks,

Richard

Back