128 Channel PIC Dimmer System

rjanuary said:
Thanks for the information about the substitute Capacitor.

Do Radio Shack stores stock the heat sink, #276-1368 on the BOM? I looked it up on their web site and its $1.99, though with a six dollar shipping and handling fee. Seems pretty expensive just to ship a little heat sink.

Thanks,

Richard

I think if you ship it to there store the is no cost, but check it out.
Lou

tconley said:
Firegod I was just wondering if you had any more of these boards around

Sorry, no I don't. I can hook you up with the PCBArtist files and you could use their $500 new customer discount to order a few.

tconley said:
are you planning to do another order any time soon?
Nope. Like my wife of 25 years sez (my young and beauitful wife), YOYO, You're On You're Own.

It is quite late to be starting, you best get going!!!

bonuts said:
Can anyone confirm or say with certainty that FireGod's controller will work with Sean's SSR boards? I know the SSR's ability to dim is dependent on the parts used, but I think I've confirmed I've used the right parts.
I can't confirm anything about what SSRs will work but I can tell you that in order to dim the optocoupler used in the SSR circuit must be a random on type such as MOC3023. If the opto will only turn on at zero cross then it will not dim.

bonuts said:
I asked Sean his opinion. "If it is working off turning on the TRIACs at different times during the AC cycle, like the Renard, then it should work."
Huh? There is only one way to dim using a solid state relay.

bonuts said:
Also, would the way the CAT-5 is wired work without any modification? I think it looks the same but I'm not convinced I'm looking at it right. Thanks.
Are you talking about a cat5 cable? You should see the same wire pattern on each end of the cable if it is a standard cable. (A crossover cable will have the orange and green pairs reversed on one end.)

TED

34bytes per module:
sync char 85 dec (55h)
module number (1, 2, 3,or 4)
32bytes of data (100 dec (64h)= 0% and 200 dec (C8h)= 100%)

Is the module number an ASCII character "1" to "4", or binary values (01h to 04h)?

So turning off all the channels on module 1 would be (in hex):

55 01 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64
64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64

Is that right?

Steve,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand this....

The data is transmitted via binary signals. I don't think it matters what you type into the terminal program as it will all be converted to binary signals.

The data string that you have is correct. It matches the PIC code for the hardware UART interupts that FireGod sent me.

Chris

Steve,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand this....

The data is transmitted via binary signals. I don't think it matters what you type into the terminal program as it will all be converted to binary signals.

The data string that you have is correct. It matches the PIC code for the hardware UART interupts that FireGod sent me.

Chris

I think there's a little misunderstanding here about what you mean by "binary signals". I was just asking for clarity about what FireGod meant about sending a module number 1-4 as part of the protocol. That could either be the ASCII character "1" (which would be the binary code 31h) or a raw binary value 1 (which would be binary code 01h). Either would be consistent with the rest of the protocol and reserving 55h as the packet start byte. I'm assuming the latter case, though; I think it makes the most sense to me.

Not into the "Bits and baudyness" but a comment from Mr P. regarding using with 595s, Would this, could this be a REN-t REN-c replacement rolled into one? I am willing to try and test if this is an option.

Not into the "Bits and baudyness" but a comment from Mr P. regarding using with 595s, Would this, could this be a REN-t REN-c replacement rolled into one? I am willing to try and test if this is an option.

In a one word answer, yes.

It DOES differ in architecture.

Look at the first post of this thread for layout and theory. It's more a "Hub and Spoke" setup, rather than the daisychain of the Ren's. No extra add-ons for Zero-cross, dimming, etc.

I can tell you it works like a dream. I soldered it up, wired it all together, plugged in the lights, and away it went. Even impressed my wife!!!

Contact lbro for info on the PCB's and possible parts co-op.

Bill

Count me in for one set., I want to diversify , going renard 16 and 24 channels for leaping arches and candy canes. I want to try every thing to see which system gives me the bigest thrill, they all do so far.
Rice66
Getting stuff ready for garage sale so I can load up my paypal again.

Bill of Materials (BOM) is revised in the first post to reflect the addition of the power LED and it's resistor.

I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list. I was able to figure most of it out but the PC interface PCB shows a C1 which seems to be missing on the parts list. Did that one get eliminated? It looks to be sitting between the regulated 5v and ground - to reduce noise? 1uf OK?
Also, the header pins and shunt listed in the parts listing are the same part number and I don't see a place for them on the Field module PCB. What are they for and where do they go?

I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list. I was able to figure most of it out but the PC interface PCB shows a C1 which seems to be missing on the parts list. Did that one get eliminated? It looks to be sitting between the regulated 5v and ground - to reduce noise? 1uf OK?
Also, the header pins and shunt listed in the parts listing are the same part number and I don't see a place for them on the Field module PCB. What are they for and where do they go?
1 uF is OK for noise reduction.

On the PCB there are two sets of 4 holes for the header pins. Beside one set are numbers 1 and 2. Beside the other set are numbers 3 and 4.

If you need any further information, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
During the last revision I guess the parts got duplicated. It has been corrected and the new revision is BOM2b.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list.

When I get the time, I'll revise the Express PCB files and post the Advanced Circuit files so that the part numbers are the same.

Back