Assembling SSR's (with daisey chain option)

You have to be careful with all boards that have power-line voltages on them. However, I was specifically referring to the perf-board approach.

...Just to go back a bit

Mostly all "household extension cords" are 16 AWG, this is NOT RECOMMENDED for a 15 AMP load. Typical household wiring (in the wall) is 14 AWG for a 15 AMP circuit / 12 AWG for a 20 AMP.

this is to maintain "safety specifications" for the most part, every guage wire can (theoretically) handle more than the "rating" but is not advisable in any means.

Just "food for thought", when I was 13 I MELTED the main breaker in my panel, I didn't wedge it open, it just melted. ANYTHING can fail, including safety devices.

Just be careful when "loading" circuits

I may use the same philosophy I use at work. When I need to lift a 500 pound load, I design the lifting fixture to be rated at 1000 pounds.

I got a question about using this method and my ssr boards. I built everything just like Wayne has and put my boards and outlets into the box and made sure nothing was touching. Now when I plug in the power should the led light up? Or do I need to connect everything, grinch and lights to outlets, for the led to work? Because I'm not getting the led lite up when I just plug the power cord into an outlet.

Rick

I got a question about using this method and my ssr boards. I built everything just like Wayne has and put my boards and outlets into the box and made sure nothing was touching. Now when I plug in the power should the led light up? Or do I need to connect everything, grinch and lights to outlets, for the led to work? Because I'm not getting the led lite up when I just plug the power cord into an outlet.

Rick
I believe the power to the LED on the SSR is coming from the DC power on the controller, Not the AC. At least mine appears to work that way. When I plug in the cat5, presto the LED lights up. I dont believe I get anything plugging into the wall.

David

Rick - David is correct - The LED does NOT get it's power from the SSR's, but from the controller board it's connected to.

An important thing to note is that you can have 110 V on the SSR and no LED lit up. So don't use the LED as an indication that it is safe to touch or not.

New Questions but they fit well in this discussion

I thank my SSR kits that are in the mail are top plug RJ45 jacks I like the side plug idea. I Don’t know which plug to buy from Mousur without a part Number they have hundreds of RJ45 plugs.

OR I have some network jacks and plates I could mount on the side of the box, I was thinking I could make little patch cords to go from the plated jack to the pcb. and punch down the cat 5 cable to my connector, now do I put ends on the cat5 and plug them in to the top plug, will I have room in the box or can I solder the cable strait to the PCB?

This is my out of box thinking there is a significant price difference between the blue boxes with the push through wire clamp and the blue boxes with KO holes. I was thinking of using spray foam insulation to water seal the box and hold the board like a stand off but I am concerned about whether there is enough heat or spark to catch the foam on fire.

how water tight does the box need to be the little gap between the plug and the plate will let water in.

Thanks Phillip

One thing I have been unable to figure out... How do you set the channel(s) on the SSR? I have (2) Lynx Express, they have 1 RJ45 for the DMX in and 2-RJ45 for DMX out. The boards are connected in serial form teh first DMX out to the DMX in and both work well but the second LE has the ability of setting the srating channel on the board.

I am looking at building a MEGA Tree or series of arches (or both if the boys have their way). I have seen AC-SSRs with 64 channels much less expensive than additional LEs. Does anyone know if I could connect the 64 channel SSR to the DMX Out of one of the DMX secound outputs and control one tree with one SSR. My questions are:

1 - Do I lose any functionality by using an SSR instead of LE?
2 - How could I set the first channel of the SSR? Despite the LE being in front of the SSR, could I set the start channel on the LE to 65, alowing the SSR to assume 1-64?
3 - Is there a better way???

Thanks for everyone's help!

Back