Back to step one writting a hex file to 16f688

11Bravo

It has been a couple of years since I did this. I am having start from the beginning on writing a start address to a Pic 16f688. It's been awhile and the old computer that I used is no longer alive. So having to start over. all I have on USB stick is PicKit2 version 2.61 with the update PK2deviceFile.dat which I put on a new PC running windows 10. The 16f688 Pic is not in the device family. At this point I don't know where to go.
PicKit2.JPG

Install the MPLAB-X suite. It has all of the families and all of the latest patches for the PicKits (2 & 3). It can read and write the F688 parts without issue.

I tried using MPLAB IDE v8.90, It's very difficult to use, and I couldn't figure it out. I hope I can figure out MPLAB-X. But, how was I able to use the much easier PicKit2 programmer before, but now it doesn't have the 16f688 device family in it?

MPLAB X is not easy to use. It is way to much for me to learn at this time. And besides I don't need to compile anything. I have the Renard start addresses I just need to put it on the chip.
Why can't I do it with PicKit2 programmer now as I was able to do before? How is it that the device family is not available now in the programmer?

i'm not quite following you. i am in the same boat, and need to program some renard chips in the next couple weeks, not having done so for several computers now. i also use a pickit2, but i always used some version of mblab. it seems like mplab x was the current version the last time i did it. i don't remember ever relying on the programmer to know anything about the device family...

but if i get up and running and you are still having trouble, i can put the start address firmware in a few pics and mail to you with your settings.

edit - now I see your picture, and didn't realize/remember the pickit came with it's own programming software. offer still stands :)

Last edited:
MPLAB X is not easy to use. It is way to much for me to learn at this time. And besides I don't need to compile anything. I have the Renard start addresses I just need to put it on the chip.
Why can't I do it with PicKit2 programmer now as I was able to do before? How is it that the device family is not available now in the programmer?

I agree , had grief with it and was to brain bust for the learning curve of it at the time .
Went with version Mplab ide 8.84 and that just worked flawlessly .

i'm not quite following you. i am in the same boat, and need to program some renard chips in the next couple weeks, not having done so for several computers now. i also use a pickit2, but i always used some version of mblab. it seems like mplab x was the current version the last time i did it. i don't remember ever relying on the programmer to know anything about the device family...

but if i get up and running and you are still having trouble, i can put the start address firmware in a few pics and mail to you with your settings.

edit - now I see your picture, and didn't realize/remember the pickit came with it's own programming software. offer still stands :)

Thank you for the offer, but I really need to be able to program them here. I'm still building the show and don't exactly know what the addresses need to be at this time. and time is running out.

The PicKit2 programmer doesn't have the 16f688 in it's program to select from. I do not remember how I got the 16f288 in the list of device families. I don't remember if I had to do a update to get more chips recognized by the programmer. If I did, I have no idea where I got the update to down load. Like I said I have all the renard start address hex files. I don't need a program to compile with to make a hex file.

I got it now. The PicKit2 program I had saved on a zip drive was not all there I guess. I found a download at pic16.com/en/wzcapi/pic_kit2_list.htm it has the 16f688 in it.

Thank you for the offer, but I really need to be able to program them here. I'm still building the show and don't exactly know what the addresses need to be at this time. and time is running out.

The PicKit2 programmer doesn't have the 16f688 in it's program to select from. I do not remember how I got the 16f288 in the list of device families. I don't remember if I had to do a update to get more chips recognized by the programmer. If I did, I have no idea where I got the update to down load. Like I said I have all the renard start address hex files. I don't need a program to compile with to make a hex file.

I am a bit confused. The only time you need to modify the start address is if you are using a shared media network like xbee. If you have xbee then you have had to already do a significant level of planning. If you are using a USB dongle, a pixel stic, or a bridge, you should not need to change the start address.

I wasn't trying to modify a start address. I was trying to program a 16f688 with a start address. But my problem was, the PicKit2 programmer was not allowing me to pick the 16f688 from a selection of devices. So I uninstalled the programmer and went and found one on the Web and down loaded it. From there I had no more problem selecting the 16f688 from the list in the programmer.
all is good with that now.

I have other problems with my Xbees failure to communicate with X-CTU. I found another release that works.
I also found some of the programs we used in XP and windows 7 don't work well in windows 10.

Last edited:
ok, bringing this thread back up.
Now that I have time to mess with MPLABS I would like to make a HEX file from a .asm file.

Here is what I have, I bring the .asm file into MPLABS.
I can leave it as is or modify it for how I want it to work.
After I make the changes, what do I do next?
Can't seem to find what I need to know from the Help tab to assemble and make the HEX file.

back in november (post#5) i lied when i said i had done this before with mplab x. i finally found this tutorial at pololu and was able to make a hex file from the renard assembler code. i still needed to use the software that came with the pic2 to get the hex file on my pics :)

https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J62/10

I have MPLABS IDE ver 8.90 installed, I'll uninstall it and use the one in your link refers to MPLABS X

Last edited:
Ok got MPLABS X installed. Lost already. the screen in the tutorial is no where like what I see when I start the program. Maybe I did or did not do something when installing it. There is no tab with "New Project" to select from.
Ok, scratch that note above. The program I should have been opening was hidden in a picture on the decktop. urgh!

Last edited:
So shouldn't I be opening a Renard associated.asm file to compile instead of following what the tutorial is instructing?

If you dig through the program folder of MPLAB you will find one called MPASMWIN, inside it should be a exe file. send a shortcut to the desktop for it. Use that to make your .hex file from the .asm file.
This simply bypasses the main program so you do not need to create a 'project'
:)

This should be the same file path or lat least close, so you know where to look......

mpasm file path.JPG

Back