Build Questions

lbro

Let's start this thread so we can all help walk each other through the build. Let's try to keep all questions and answers in one place....

Watch out on the resistors - the 750 Ω is very similar to the 150 Ω, and easy to switch, as they are 1/4 watt, and very small. I recommend, when you lay out your resistors, meter them.

R

If you open the field bag, I believe you can tell the difference by the amount, there are more of one than the other...

I also talked with David (Firegod), about the resistors required, on the SSROz'. If you use the LED's, on the Field Modules, you have to use 510 Ω resistors on the SSR's, for the triac gate, due to the voltage drop across the LED's. I was NOT looking forward to changing out a bunch of resistors, nor was I happy with having two different SSR's, one with 510 Ω, the other with 750 Ω. David suggested using a 6 volt regulator, instead of a 5 volt, and I wouldn't have to change out the resistors. I have several on order, and will be using them. This is the Mouser page for the ones he told me to use:

6 Volt regulator

R

If you open the field bag, I believe you can tell the difference by the amount, there are more of one than the other...

There are 4 of the 150 Ω and one of the 750 Ω. I'm just saying that they are very small, and the color code for 750 and 150, is very close, violet-green-brown, and brown-green-brown. It's hard to distinguish between the violet and brown, due to size. You don't have to meter out the brown-red-red's, they are very apparent. Just meter out the 5 until you hit the one 750...

R

OK, PC Interfaces done...here's the order I found works great...YMMV, as everyone has their preferences, but for somebody who doesn't...I am taking pictures as I go, each step, in the hopes of making, or somebody making a Wiki for the FireGod, if there's interest.

1. Resistors - all
  2. Zener Diode
  3. Diodes
  4. Sockets
  5. Caps C1-4, C6
  6. Cap C7
  7. DB Connector
  8. Power Jack (same time as DB Connector)
  9. RJ45 Jacks
  10. Cap C5
  11. Voltage Regulator and Heat Sink

OK, PC Interfaces done...here's the order I found works great...YMMV, as everyone has their preferences, but for somebody who doesn't...I am taking pictures as I go, each step, in the hopes of making, or somebody making a Wiki for the FireGod, if there's interest.

1. Resistors - all
  2. Zener Diode
  3. Diodes
  4. Sockets
  5. Caps C1-4, C6
  6. Cap C7
  7. DB Connector
  8. Power Jack (same time as DB Connector)
  9. RJ45 Jacks
  10. Cap C5
  11. Voltage Regulator and Heat Sink

hehehehe

Looks like getting to build mine later will be a GOOD THING! :lol:

David suggested putting C7 in after mounting the voltage regulator and heatsink, so you can get to the screw easier, but I always mount the regulator to the heatsink first, tighten it, then mount it as a unit. Easier for me, but personal choice. I'll give both in the construction article. I have both interfaces done, and 4 field modules done. I should be ready to look at getting the PICs programmed soon. Need to start from scratch, on those. Oh goody, something new to learn (and buy!!).

More to follow...

R

Sure, Lou - I could use another 256 channels! :)

I've got all 10 boards soldered up. Off to order a PickitII...and I'm waiting on the 6 volt regulators. Hopefully, won't be long before I shift from build-mode to test-mode.

Two days to build - not too bad!

Hopefully there will be smart people at the Ohio mini that I can brain-pick on the programming.

Enjoy, folks. Fun project!

R

can I send mine to you?:)

JDM ordered - thanks, David.

Now, as this is my first experience with PIC's, what would be a good recommended "extras" to buy, in case I mess one up, or have trouble over Christmas? I figure I could flash them, and have them sitting in waiting...I'd rather have them, and not need them, than need them, and not have them.

Regulators didn't get here today - grrrr! No biggie, as I don't have programmed chips yet, anyway.

Thanks,

Roger

Figured since I was sitting around, waiting, I'd build some of the "fake" SSR's for testing. Had to dig pretty hard to find the info, so figured I'd post it again, here, in case you need it.

From David:
I also made myself a set of “fake” SSRs for one field module just for testing. You take a short piece of cable and four resistors (820 ohm). Connect each resistor to a channel (Orange, Blue, Green, Brown) and connect the other ends of the resistors to 5VDC (Orange/White) for sinking applications. A bit of electrical tape to insulate the resistors and crimp a RJ-45 plug on the other end. Make 8 of them and this will allow the addressing to work and will light up the LEDs for testing.

I've also made up some quick boards, for anyone that wants some. They'll come in a sheet of 8, if you have a way of cutting them apart. If you need them cut apart, I'll do that, as well. They will come drilled. You need 8 RJ45 Jacks, and 64 810 Ω resistors. You'll also need a short cat5 cable, or, you can hard-wire a short piece to the board, using the RJ45 jack holes.

Let me know if you would like a set. I can do a set of 8 6" Cat5 cables as well, but would have to charge a little bit for shipping, and don't want to step on any toes, calling it a "group buy" or anything like that. If you'd like a set of cables, PM me, and we'll go from there. I like etching, and I buy my Cat5 ends by the 1000, more than I'll EVER use in my lifetime! Pay it forward, I always say...

EDIT: Someone asked about shipping - no charge for a board of 8 (or 8 cut apart), if you want the cables, I would send them in a $4.95 flat rate box. The nice thing about not cutting the board, is you can just plug 8 cables into one board...

R

Last edited:
JDM ordered - thanks, David.

Now, as this is my first experience with PIC's, what would be a good recommended "extras" to buy, in case I mess one up, or have trouble over Christmas? I figure I could flash them, and have them sitting in waiting...I'd rather have them, and not need them, than need them, and not have them.

Regulators didn't get here today - grrrr! No biggie, as I don't have programmed chips yet, anyway.

Thanks,

Roger

I would reccommend at least one but two would be better. I have had one bad PIC from the factory. I blew up channel number one once. I plugged in the PIC wrong (pin two into pin one socket) and destroyed the PIC. Stuff happens.

The first "fake" SSR boards are done - here's what they look like. I have two people from the group buy, that want them, so far.

fakessr02.jpg

fakessr01.jpg

I've seen worse...

R

Back