Complete novice - Grinch controller??

mutleyrover

Hi everyone

I'm completely brand new to this whole world and I'm feeling a little out of my depth.... Help please!!
I'm in the UK thus whatever I do will obviously be on 240volts. Hardly anyone does this over here, no one near me at least, so I want to do something special and different with my lights.

After lots of reading I was heading towards building a Grinch controller, although I've just read a post that says the chips are hard to get, so I feel like I'm back to square one. I was originally thinking the Grinch was a good starting place for me to learn - it doesn't look too difficult to build (and building anything like this is a whole new experience to me). I'm keen to learn and I've got to start somewhere.

Now having read that parts are hard to get am I better off with a Renard? I liked the grinch because of the 64 channels it offered. Am I able to get all the parts to be able to make the Grinch controller. I've seen a few references to WJohn regarding the pcb.

Any advice and help will be greatly received. I'm sure I have many more questions, this is just the beginning, but I've got to learn somehow.

Thanks very much!

Me personally, I would go with the Renard. They are a bit more common. Plus, the Grinch doesn't dim. I had never soldered anything in my life, but was able to build two RenSS24's my first year with very little problem.

Hi everyone

I'm completely brand new to this whole world and I'm feeling a little out of my depth.... Help please!!
I'm in the UK thus whatever I do will obviously be on 240volts. Hardly anyone does this over here, no one near me at least, so I want to do something special and different with my lights.

After lots of reading I was heading towards building a Grinch controller, although I've just read a post that says the chips are hard to get, so I feel like I'm back to square one. I was originally thinking the Grinch was a good starting place for me to learn - it doesn't look too difficult to build (and building anything like this is a whole new experience to me). I'm keen to learn and I've got to start somewhere.

Now having read that parts are hard to get am I better off with a Renard? I liked the grinch because of the 64 channels it offered. Am I able to get all the parts to be able to make the Grinch controller. I've seen a few references to WJohn regarding the pcb.

Any advice and help will be greatly received. I'm sure I have many more questions, this is just the beginning, but I've got to learn somehow.

Thanks very much!

Hi, welcome to the madness...........
The SS line of controllers only runs on 120v. There are a couple of controllers that will work on 240v. The Grinch is one, (also Ren24HC) but for just a few bucks more, you can build a Renard 64XC. It supports 64 channels (16 SSR's) like the Grinch, but allows you to be able to Dim your lights in addition to On/Off. It also has on board channel LED's, which come in very handy to be able to see if a channel is active or not. You can also get that PCB from wJohn. As with the Grinch, you would build the SSR's for 240v operation (requires a different resistor).

The SS versions of Renard do not do 220, but other Renards DO have 220 capability- just check the Wiki carefully.

Kirk

(edit - there is a good suggestion that beat my post!)

Welcome to the forums. As you mentioned wanting 64 channels as a starting point, I thought to point you to the following forum thread
Ren64+240V

It may have some useful information for you (or you may have read it already). The MBI chips aren't impossible to find, simply getting more scarce. I would simply make sure that you have them confirmed before buying the PCB's.

Again.. Welcome.. enjoy the madness!

Thanks for the responses. Based on what I have read it looks like the Renard is the way to go, plus it gives the added bonus of being dimmable if required. The Renard64XC looks like it might be the option to go for - thanks rstehl! As it works on 240 volts this is obviously what I need. 240volts does seem to somewhat limit your options!

Do you just get the pcb for the Renard or can you get all the parts from here too? The SSR have me a little worried. Like I said, I'm on a steep learning curve. Am I right in thinking sockets come from the SSRs to which you just plug in your sets (channels) of lights directly in to? A lot to learn...!!!!!

Following instructions to make a controller I think I will be able to do, once I've learned to solder properly, but beyond this I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the responses. Based on what I have read it looks like the Renard is the way to go, plus it gives the added bonus of being dimmable if required. The Renard64XC looks like it might be the option to go for - thanks rstehl! As it works on 240 volts this is obviously what I need. 240volts does seem to somewhat limit your options!

Do you just get the pcb for the Renard or can you get all the parts from here too? The SSR have me a little worried. Like I said, I'm on a steep learning curve. Am I right in thinking sockets come from the SSRs to which you just plug in your sets (channels) of lights directly in to? A lot to learn...!!!!!

Following instructions to make a controller I think I will be able to do, once I've learned to solder properly, but beyond this I'm not so sure.

You can get the PCB's for the Renard 64 and possibly the SSR's from wJohn. You will have to contact him to inquire. The parts can all be purchased from Mouser. Yes, you will wire what we call 'pigtails' with sockets to your SSR's to plug strands of lights in to. The cords can be of any length you require. Many folks in the US use 5-6' extension cords with the male end cut off. Many others purchase 2 conductor cable, called SPT, (think lamp cord) from a supplier and slide-on sockets we call 'vampire plugs'. The SPT/Vampire plug option is usually cheaper here, but you will have to make your decision based on availability in the UK.
Feel free to ask all the questions you like, folks on the forum are real good about helping out. We were all newbies at one time...........:wacko:

Thanks for the info. The 'pigtail' info makes a lot of sense although the cable you'd get here is called twin and earth as it has an earth cable aswell. Making your own extensions I'm sure would be cheaper here too. I've got a way to go before needing to make that decision. I guess I need to take the plunge!!!

Starter and Complete kits for Ren24HC can be found at www.wlcventures.com

The Starter Kit contains the pcb and bom's it looks like and the Complete kit has everything you need (pcb, bom, encloser, spt wire vamp plugs) all the way down to a fm transmitter

Trav

Last edited:
Hi Trav

I see on the wlcventures website they have the complete kits for the Renard 64XC controllers. Is there anything specific that I should know about this with regards to running it in the UK on 240 volts or should it just be fine? Obviously a kit with the SPT wire and vampire plugs wouldn't suit the UK. I guess I'd have to make up my own cables!

Matthew

Do you guys in the UK actually run Christmas lights directly from 240VAC? In Australia in the recent past they used step-down transformers to reduce the voltage to 24VAC, and run the lights from that. If that's what you're doing in the UK as well, it changes the picture, because you really need to do the control (including dimming) on the output side of the transformer, not on the input side. Or have things changed recently?

Hi Phil

I've just thrown away a set of string lights that died on me this year but I kept the label that was attached to the cable. The lights in this case had a jack on the end that plugged in to a transformer, which then plugs in to the mains. The label says "Rated Voltage/Wattage: 24V 10W". I guess this is the step down transformer.

This particular string had red, yellow, green and blue LEDs in it together with a little control box that allowed you to make the flash, chase, stay on etc. The label also shows the following information.

Red & Yellow LEDs: 2V 0.04W
Green & Blue LEDs: 3V 0.06W

By doing the control on the output side does that mean you can't simply just plug a set of lights in to a socket that you have coming from one of the SSRs. My very basic understanding was making me think:
Computer - attached to - Renard Controller - with - SSR's coming from controller - with - wires coming from the SSR's with sockets on the end - then plug in your lights to those sockets and hey presto!! I'm sure that's somewhat simplified but that's how I was thinking it basically works.

I am so out of my depth with all of this information so I hope you can help! Plus, I am not exactly technically minded. Putting the Renard controller together doesn't particularly worry me as I feel confident to follow the instructions. It's the rest of it that has me unsure!!

Matthew

If I recall right, there were problems with placing the controllers on the input side of the transformers. I seem to remember that the transformers occasionally self-destructed when they attempted to dim the lights (I think that simple on-off was OK, though). This was a while back, and I hope that you communicate with someone who has had direct experience.

Hi Phil

Further to my last message I've just been looking over the Renard forums again. You may have noticed that although this thread is titled about the Grinch controller, having had some feedback the Renard seems like a better option I think. I was thinking the Renard 64XC which would work in the UK. Anyway, apologies as I didn't spot it before, but it would appear that the Renard is one of your boards!!!

Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Matthew

Is it worth building the controller the just plugging in the lights to see what happens? I can't see how you could plug in the lights with the transformer but have the controller connected after this. Is it a simple case of crimping the wires or this that a no no?

Hi there Matthew,

It's good to see another UK member on here. I too had and are still having similar probs to you.
I decided to go with the Olsen 595 unit, a dearer grinch. I chose this because of the pic programming of the Renard. Although my research of Renards finished as quick as it started. Mainly due to finding the Olsen.
I purchased two from a member on, all being well they should be here in the next few days.
I'm not too fussed about dimming on year one, might look at that next year.
There's another UK member Jeff that started about the same time as me. He has gone down the LOR route and purchased two (i think) from the US.
The LOR is all in one like some of the Rens, controller and SSR all in one. From looking it wasn't a bad price for a kit. Down side it's 16ch per unit so if you're looking for 64ch it gets dear. But remember its an all in one unit, you just run your extension leads to your lights.
I've found a seller on eBay that does 240v LED strings with no attached controller; meaning you could connect these directly to any SSR in the UK.
I'm currently battling with my wallet, my heart and my common sense as to SSRs. Do I build my own with strip board or go for a group buy maybe even wlc SSRez package. Argggh mind meltdown again.
Where do you live? I'm in Mansfield, Notts. Heart of Robin Hood country lol.

Matt B

The Grinch dimmer from RPM might also be an option you might want to explore... 256 levels of dimming full dmx control and a great piece of gear..

Thanks for the new replies!

Matt B: I'm based in Southampton. I originally posted this question just after I'd first joined this site and had done some research on the subject. In the end I've actually decided to go with the Renard board. I've ordered a Renard64XC, partly due to the fact that the Grinch and the Olsen595 seem to be becoming hard to get hold of, and partly as the Renard64XC is one of the boards that will work with 240 volts. Also, it will give me the capacity to dim if I want to.

I like the ease of the LOR units but it looks pretty expensive and I think a lot of the fun will be building your own controller and getting it working. I don't get much free time at the moment, what with work and young kids, so I'm not sure if I'll get this done this year. I guess I'll see how it goes.

As for the SSRs, I've ordered some SSRez boards to build. It'll be fun putting it all together.
I've also been trying to learn how to use vixen - a challenge in itself.

Warlock: G'day to you!

This forum is excellent, together with the wiki. I've learnt so much from here although I'm still baffled by a lot of it. I'm not an electrician and have never really dabbled with electronics so the learning curve for me is going to be steep! I need to learn to solder too!!!

Im already a member of the AusChristmasLighting forum. It's great aswell and one significant thing about that forum is that you use 240 volts in Australia just as we do in the UK, so when you run in to issues with the 110 volts referred to here, I know where to go!

So much to learn!!!

Back