converting older versions of .vix files

rice66

How do I use older .vix files with newer beta versions, I am attempting to transfer some older .vix files and when I copied them to the source files, I get the "horrid" unhandled exception dialog box. I thought I saved the steps to fix this, but you dont know my filing system!!
Thanks In advance Brian,
Rice66

Last edited:
If you have Vixen version 1.xxx sequences and would like to convert them to 2.xxx sequences you are in luck. KC has included a conversion file in the 2.xxx install. This is a self deleting file. It will run the 1st time a new install is opened and then delete itself after the conversions are completed. I do not recall the name off hand but will find it for you shortly. Wayne advised me the file name is prepare.exe. Now onto the conversion.
1. Download and install Vixen 2.xxx.
2. Once installed browse into the sequences folder of the new installation utilizing Windows Explorer.
3. Copy and paste your 1.xxx sequences into the 2.xxx sequences folder. Take notice of "copy and paste", this will ensure you do not lose any data in the event something goes wrong with the conversion process.
4. Copy and paste your music files from the Music folder of Vixen 1.xxx to the Audio folder of Vixen 2.xxx.
5. Right click on the Vixen 2.xxx .exe icon, the reindeer head, and "Send to Desktop". This will place a shortcut onto your desktop.
6. Close all the open windows.
7. Open Vixen 2.xxx by double clicking the reindeer head you just placed on the desktop.
8. Sit back and let Vixen convert your files.
9. Enjoy your newly converted sequences by opening them and let them run.

Thanks Brian for the prompt response. I had an older version of vixen on an old win 98 machine that was used last Christmas. I have a newer machine that has win xp home version. Anyways, transfer to a usb thumb drive will be done IAW your instructions. BTW the insts are now cut and pasted to notepad and saved. Thanks. Now all I have to do is to populate 4 of XMUS's renard16,s add more.....etc etc
Rice66
128 channels olsen595's home etched, home built.(with a little bit of help from Mouser!!)

I'm getting the same error message and I have followed the instructions above. I currently running Vista, so I tknow if that is a factor.

Well I'm not sure what’s going on but I downloaded the Vixen software yesterday and some of the shared sequences today. I'm running some of them, like decorations and Good Vibes, but the others come up with the error message. And. I’m running Vista.

I've also been running Vixen on Vista, In fact I've never run it on anything else. So far so good.

If you have Vixen version 1.xxx sequences and would like to convert them to 2.xxx sequences you are in luck. KC has included a conversion file in the 2.xxx install. This is a self deleting file. It will run the 1st time a new install is opened and then delete itself after the conversions are completed. I do not recall the name off hand but will find it for you shortly. Wayne advised me the file name is prepare.exe. Now onto the conversion.
1. Download and install Vixen 2.xxx.
2. Once installed browse into the sequences folder of the new installation utilizing Windows Explorer.
3. Copy and paste your 1.xxx sequences into the 2.xxx sequences folder. Take notice of "copy and paste", this will ensure you do not lose any data in the event something goes wrong with the conversion process.
4. Copy and paste your music files from the Music folder of Vixen 1.xxx to the Audio folder of Vixen 2.xxx.
5. Right click on the Vixen 2.xxx .exe icon, the reindeer head, and "Send to Desktop". This will place a shortcut onto your desktop.
6. Close all the open windows.
7. Open Vixen 2.xxx by double clicking the reindeer head you just placed on the desktop.
8. Sit back and let Vixen convert your files.
9. Enjoy your newly converted sequences by opening them and let them run.

I was not going to use any of last years sequences when I updated to 2.XX, but now I'm running short on time. I'm thinking about converting one or 2 of my 1.XX .vix files from last year. I already have my profile built in 2.5 and my intro sequence almost complete. Question is, can I convert the older 1.XX .vix files without loosing the new .vix file and profile?

Thanks,
Brad

As far as I know and can understand what your intentions are you can do so if the files have different names as they need to be in the same folder. Then you will need to associate the converted sequences to the new profile.

So if I understand your original post, the conversion routine deletes itself, therefore I would have to delete Vixen and download a new version? Then run the conversion.

Brad

Vixen is looking for a file called "prepare.exe"

Copy it from the original zip or download a new zip install file.

Place the prepare.exe file in the base directory (the same one as vixen.exe)

When you start vixen any 1.0 sequenceds will be converted to 2.0.
Existing 2.0 files will not be modified.

Joel

HI everyone. I've been also having troubles while converting my vix sequences to use them with the new version of vixen. I've done all what you've say before, but I can't solve the problem. I'm running vixen in windows xp, and have upgraded to the lastest version of it. When I run the program, the prepare thing happens, (it does't say any clue of what sequences has converted) but says it has finished. When I try to open a sequence, it apears an error message, which details are the following:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Vixen.EventSequence.LoadFromXml(XmlNode contextNode)
at Vixen.EventSequence..ctor(String fileName)
at StandardSequence.StandardSequence.Open(String filePath)
at Vixen.Form1.OpenSequence(String fileName)
at Vixen.Form1.openALightingProgramToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Vixen
Assembly Version: 2.1.1.0
Win32 Version: 2.1.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Vixen.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
fmod
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/fmod.DLL
AnalogSpectrum
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/AnalogSpectrum.DLL
CometConversion
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/CometConversion.DLL
DMXAddIn
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/DMXAddIn.DLL
MIDIReader
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/MIDIReader.DLL
Prop1SeqGen
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/Prop1SeqGen.DLL
Prop2SeqGen
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/Prop2SeqGen.DLL
RemoteClient
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/RemoteClient.DLL
RGBLEDAddIn
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/RGBLEDAddIn.DLL
Spectrum
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/Spectrum.DLL
WattMeter
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/WattMeter.DLL
Waveform
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/AddIns/Waveform.DLL
LedTriksUI
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Plugins/UI/LedTriksUI.DLL
LedTriksUtil
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Plugins/Output/LedTriksUtil.DLL
StandardScript
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Plugins/UI/StandardScript.DLL
ScriptEngine
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/ScriptEngine.DLL
StandardSequence
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Plugins/UI/StandardSequence.DLL
TriggerResponse
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Usuario/Escritorio/Vixen%202.1.1.0/Plugins/UI/TriggerResponse.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Any ideas of what could it be?
Thanks since now.
Nicolas

One thing to note:

With the converting of vixen sequences, you will need to convert as follows:

Vixen 1.xx.xx --> Vixen 2.0.xx --> Vixen 2.1.xx

If you have Vixen 1 sequences, they need to be converted in Vixen 2 before they can be opened in Vixen 2.1.

Back