Custom Props Editor

gizmohd

I've taken some time off from V3 development over the last 12-18 months.. But, i'm back and have been reading through a bunch of old threads an such and I'm working on an addition to the Preview....

Drum roll please... well... its not THAT exciting I think... but here's where I'm going....

The idea is to give the user a way to 'draw' their custom prop on the screen using the tried and true x/y corrdinate screen. A user adds a number of 'channels (strings)' to the prop and can select that individual coordinates are assigned to a specific channel.. so that when that channel is told to turn on, the elements in the prop that are assigned to the channel in the grid will light up in that specific color...

The files generate when you are done creating your 'prop' are generic enough so that they can then be shared with other users in the community.

It's no where near complete yet, but I hope to have something ready in the coming weeks... Just wanted to get a grasp on how much desire (if any) there was in the community for something like this before I spent too much time on it...
attachment.php
attachment.php

I had my daughter play with it and she came up with the silly face...

Thoughts??

Attachments

• Editor-SillyFace.png
    Editor-SillyFace.png
    94 KB · Views: 223
  • Editor-ResizeImage.png
    Editor-ResizeImage.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 223
That is awesome and perfect !!

I could put this to work today !!! :)

Thanks for the effort on this !

Just this past week I requested this in the Feature Request forum. This would be an AWESOME addition to Vixen 3!

Thanks!!

This would have saved me a lot of time this year with my custom star tree topper. Awesome.

PS will there be a place in Vixen where these elements will be stored for reuse?

Last edited:
Love it. It would be nice if you have the ability to load a dimmed JPG in the background to use as a template for the prop you're creating.

Alternatively allow copy/paste or import/export from a program that does allow loading a JPG in the background of the grid (e.g. Excel - CSV will do).

This would have saved me a lot of time this year with my custom star tree topper. Awesome.

PS will there be a place in Vixen where these elements will be stored for reuse?

Yes.. the idea is that once you create the 'prop' its saved in your profile and you will be able to share/consume other users'props'

Love it. It would be nice if you have the ability to load a dimmed JPG in the background to use as a template for the prop you're creating.

Alternatively allow copy/paste or import/export from a program that does allow loading a JPG in the background of the grid (e.g. Excel - CSV will do).

+1 for loading image behind it to trace or place lights (I tried this kinda successfully using the existing template manager and a temporary background image but there are issues with it).
I'm not sure how you would scale the grid to accomplish this but perhaps the grid could be disabled if desired when using an image.

I am building some elements out of pixels and it would be great if the software was able to be told to auto increment each click. I will have 290+ pixels per element and it is quite a task to associate all of those pixels

Last edited:
So your looking for something like this right?

attachment.php

That thats going to be there too.... ;)

Attachments

• Bell.png
    Bell.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 112
So your looking for something like this right?

attachment.php

That thats going to be there too.... ;)

Yes!

I have been monitoring this on the dev side as it really interests me. I loaded up your 3.2u2 test build to see how it works. Looks like a good start. My graphic is not square so it didn't load up nicely (stretched the width and scrunched the height). I set the grid height and width to 1 to have an unobstructed view of the image assuming that points could be plotted and then resize later to make it the desired default dimensions. Am interested to see how this progresses!

If someone is interested in testing the editor... let me know... I think were almost there... just need a little feedback.. and some refinement....

Well folks... I took a week off of development so that I could come back with a fresh set of eyes... and good thing I did.... I was able to get past my block and move forward....

Ive taken some screen shots and thought I would explain them here...

1. Editor form with additional menuitem (may replace current template engine???)

attachment.php

2. New and improved Grid Editor... its a canvas one can 'draw' the dots onto.. not a grid to edit....
attachment.php

3. Context menu showing how you add/edit nodes
attachment.php

4. Add Multiple Strings/Nodes
attachment.php

5 Multiple strings added to the display
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.png