Esp Code for various modules

With regards to setup, I meant more along the lines of how you have everything connected, as in the esp, the pixels, power supply, pixels.

I notice that the thread starts out with you using WS2812 and then moving on to the ws2801. Did you run into timing/interrupt issues with the ws2812? or were you trying different types for the sake of experimentation? I'm currently working with the ws2811 and ws2812 so figured id ask.

If you notice that the E131.h vs EspAsyncE131.h used , you will find a difference in how the sketches are worded.

The EspAsyncE131.h can make it easier to work with as in less defines may be required .

Last edited:
Esp32 12 Universe successfully working !!! Could probably add 5 more .
BitBang is not 100% or as lossless as RMT .

Next challenge to turn the Esp32 into a dumb rgb controller .

Code:
/*
  All credits to :
  Shelby Merrick for his E131
         &
  Michael Miller for the NeoPixel_Bus

E131_Test.ino - Simple sketch to listen for E1.31 data on an ESP32
                   and print some statistics.

Project: ESPAsyncE131 - Asynchronous E.131 (sACN) library for Arduino ESP8266 and ESP32
  Copyright (c) 2019 Shelby Merrick
  http://www.forkineye.com

NeoPixelTest
  https://github.com/Makuna/NeoPixelBus/wiki/ESP8266-NeoMethods
*/
#include <ESPAsyncE131.h>
#include <NeoPixelBus.h>
#include <WiFi.h>

#define UNIVERSE 1               // First DMX Universe to listen for
#define UNIVERSE_COUNT 12
#define CHANNEL_START 1
#define CHANNEL_START_B 1
#define CHANNEL_START_C 1
#define CHANNEL_START_D 1
#define CHANNEL_START_E 1
#define CHANNEL_START_F 1
#define CHANNEL_START_G 1
#define CHANNEL_START_H 1
#define CHANNEL_START_I 1
#define CHANNEL_START_J 1
#define CHANNEL_START_K 1
#define CHANNEL_START_L 1

const uint16_t PixelCount1 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin1 = 23;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount2 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin2 = 22;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount3 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin3 = 21;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount4 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin4 = 19;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount5 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin5 = 18;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount6 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin6 = 17;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount7 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin7 = 4;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount8 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin8 = 15;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount9 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin9 = 0;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount10 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin10 = 16;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount11 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin11 = 27;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const uint16_t PixelCount12 = 6; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin12 = 25;  // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

const char ssid[] = "SSID";         // Replace with your SSID
const char passphrase[] = "PASSWORD";   // Replace with your WPA2 passphrase

// ESPAsyncE131 instance with UNIVERSE_COUNT buffer slots
ESPAsyncE131 e131(12);

NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt0800KbpsMethod> strip1(PixelCount1, PixelPin1);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt1800KbpsMethod> strip2(PixelCount2, PixelPin2);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt2800KbpsMethod> strip3(PixelCount3, PixelPin3);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt3800KbpsMethod> strip4(PixelCount4, PixelPin4);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt4800KbpsMethod> strip5(PixelCount5, PixelPin5);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt5800KbpsMethod> strip6(PixelCount6, PixelPin6);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt6800KbpsMethod> strip7(PixelCount7, PixelPin7);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32Rmt7800KbpsMethod> strip8(PixelCount8, PixelPin8);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32BitBang800KbpsMethod> strip9(PixelCount9, PixelPin9);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32BitBang800KbpsMethod> strip10(PixelCount10, PixelPin10);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32BitBang800KbpsMethod> strip11(PixelCount11, PixelPin11);
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp32BitBang800KbpsMethod> strip12(PixelCount12, PixelPin12);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(10);

// Make sure you're in station mode
  WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);

Serial.println("");
  Serial.print(F("Connecting to "));
  Serial.print(ssid);

if (passphrase != NULL)
    WiFi.begin(ssid, passphrase);
  else
    WiFi.begin(ssid);

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
    delay(500);
    Serial.print(".");
  }

Serial.println("");
  Serial.print(F("Connected with IP: "));
  Serial.println(WiFi.localIP());

// this resets all the neopixels to an off state
  strip1.Begin();
  strip1.Show();
  strip2.Begin();
  strip2.Show();
  strip3.Begin();
  strip3.Show();
  strip4.Begin();
  strip4.Show();
  strip5.Begin();
  strip5.Show();
  strip6.Begin();
  strip6.Show();
  strip7.Begin();
  strip7.Show();
  strip8.Begin();
  strip8.Show();
  strip9.Begin();
  strip9.Show();
  strip10.Begin();
  strip10.Show();
  strip11.Begin();
  strip11.Show();
  strip12.Begin();
  strip12.Show();

// Choose one to begin listening for E1.31 data
  //if (e131.begin(E131_UNICAST));                              // Listen via Unicast
  if (e131.begin(E131_MULTICAST, UNIVERSE, UNIVERSE_COUNT));   // Listen via Multicast
}

void loop() {
  // Parse a packet and update pixels
  while (!e131.isEmpty()) {
    e131_packet_t packet;
    e131.pull(&packet);     // Pull packet from ring buffer
    uint16_t universe = htons(packet.universe);
    if (universe == 1) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount1; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START);
        strip1.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
        //Serial.println(packet.property_values[j] );
      }
      strip1.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 2) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount2; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_B);
        strip2.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
        //Serial.println(packet.property_values[j + 1] );
      }
      strip2.Show();
    }

if (universe == 3) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount3; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_C);
        strip3.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip3.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 4) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount4; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_D);
        strip4.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip4.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 5) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount5; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_E);
        strip5.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip5.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 6) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount6; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_F);
        strip6.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip6.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 7) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount7; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_G);
        strip7.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip7.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 8) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount8; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_H);
        strip8.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip8.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 9) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount9; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_I);
        strip9.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip9.Show();
    }
    if (universe == 10) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount10; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_J);
        strip10.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip10.Show();
    }
     if (universe == 11) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount11; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_K);
        strip11.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip11.Show();
    }
     if (universe == 12) {
      for (int i = 0; i < PixelCount12; i++) {
        int j = i * 3 + (CHANNEL_START_L);
        strip12.SetPixelColor(i, (RgbColor(packet.property_values[j], packet.property_values[j + 1], packet.property_values[j + 2])));
      }
      strip12.Show();
     }
  }
}

forgive me if im missing something obvious, but in the beginning of this sketch where you're defining the pins, the comments mention "ignored for Esp8266" - what is ignored ??

Sorry , this sketch is for esp32 as defined .
The Rmt method will only work with the esp32 .

If you install the Makuna NeoPixelBus library , have a look at each example that is provide .
You will see that in the header description that for the esp8266 the Gpio as a define is commonly ignored.
I believe that is because the methods used for output are via Uart and pin restricted to either gpio 1,2 or 3.

I can't remember exactly and should have documented the scripts better . Sorry for any confusion as I am not an EE that would probably do a much more proper documentation for this .

I am just a full time apprentice :) lol

This is from the neopixelbus example sketch and should clear up the ignore statement .

const uint16_t PixelCount = 4; // this example assumes 4 pixels, making it smaller will cause a failure
const uint8_t PixelPin = 2; // make sure to set this to the correct pin, ignored for Esp8266

#define colorSaturation 128

// three element pixels, in different order and speeds
NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, Neo800KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);
//NeoPixelBus<NeoRgbFeature, Neo400KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);

// For Esp8266, the Pin is omitted and it uses GPIO3 due to DMA hardware use.
// There are other Esp8266 alternative methods that provide more pin options, but also have
// other side effects.
// for details see wiki linked here https://github.com/Makuna/NeoPixelBus/wiki/ESP8266-NeoMethods

// You can also use one of these for Esp8266,
// each having their own restrictions
//
// These two are the same as above as the DMA method is the default
// NOTE: These will ignore the PIN and use GPI03 pin
//NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp8266Dma800KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);
//NeoPixelBus<NeoRgbFeature, NeoEsp8266Dma400KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);

// Uart method is good for the Esp-01 or other pin restricted modules
// for details see wiki linked here https://github.com/Makuna/NeoPixelBus/wiki/ESP8266-NeoMethods
// NOTE: These will ignore the PIN and use GPI02 pin
//NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp8266Uart1800KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);
//NeoPixelBus<NeoRgbFeature, NeoEsp8266Uart1400KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);

// The bitbang method is really only good if you are not using WiFi features of the ESP
// It works with all but pin 16
//NeoPixelBus<NeoGrbFeature, NeoEsp8266BitBang800KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);
//NeoPixelBus<NeoRgbFeature, NeoEsp8266BitBang400KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);

// four element pixels, RGBW
//NeoPixelBus<NeoRgbwFeature, Neo800KbpsMethod> strip(PixelCount, PixelPin);

I have managed to add working u8g2.lib code to support the sdd1306 i2c oled with the esp32 e1.31 sketches .
This will display the current connected ip and ssid .
Has anyone else managed to add working oled script ?
I will try to add for the esp8266 wemos next ,if works I will also try to add it to the most recent EspixelStick code .

I have managed to add working u8g2.lib code to support the sdd1306 i2c oled with the esp32 e1.31 sketches .
This will display the current connected ip and ssid .
Has anyone else managed to add working oled script ?
I will try to add for the esp8266 wemos next ,if works I will also try to add it to the most recent EspixelStick code .
Please be aware the the ESPixel stick code is going through a major rework. If you need to add anything please make sure you add it to the Unify branch.

Please be aware the the ESPixel stick code is going through a major rework. If you need to add anything please make sure you add it to the Unify branch.

Oh that sounds great . I hope it natively supports displays with menus etc .

I don't know what the Unify is exactly. I am only testing what can work to display the connected ssid and ip with this display and not crash firmware .
u82g seems to get along with most others . :)

ESPixelStick ver.3.1 Getting 2 errors trying to compile .
Anyone else getting this ?

This is a debbie downer as I cannot get this moving forward.
Any help would be great .

Code:
sketch\EFUpdate.cpp: In member function 'bool EFUpdate::process(uint8_t*, size_t)':

EFUpdate.cpp:68:57: error: 'U_FS' was not declared in this scope

if (!Update.begin(_record.size, U_FS)) {

^

C:\Users\angus40\Documents\Arduino\ESPixelStick\ESPixelStick.ino: In function 'void setup()':

ESPixelStick:155:26: error: 'class EspClass' has no member named 'getFullVersion'

LOG_PORT.println(ESP.getFullVersion());

UNIFY is the branch where 4.0 is being developed. anything added to 3.x today would get left out of 4.0 unless you tell us you did it.

ESPixelStick ver.3.1 Getting 2 errors trying to compile .
Anyone else getting this ?

This is a debbie downer as I cannot get this moving forward.
Any help would be great .

Code:
sketch\EFUpdate.cpp: In member function 'bool EFUpdate::process(uint8_t*, size_t)':

EFUpdate.cpp:68:57: error: 'U_FS' was not declared in this scope

if (!Update.begin(_record.size, U_FS)) {

^

C:\Users\angus40\Documents\Arduino\ESPixelStick\ESPixelStick.ino: In function 'void setup()':

ESPixelStick:155:26: error: 'class EspClass' has no member named 'getFullVersion'

LOG_PORT.println(ESP.getFullVersion());

Well I have this solved . Frustrating to say the least as the issues had Zilch to do with the EspixelStick Firmware .
Solution =>
Update to the newest release of the IDE
Update Spiffs Plugin
Voila !

UNIFY is the branch where 4.0 is being developed. anything added to 3.x today would get left out of 4.0 unless you tell us you did it.

Ah . Thanks Martin . Unfortunately my coding skills are mere hack-n-patch only .
It's great how flexible the EspixelStick is to additions without breaking things ,which I am real good at .

This is the code I have been looking for.<br>I have WS2812B strips  300 LEDs long.  I am only adressing the first 170.<br><br>I see mention that multiple universes are possible.  Sofar if I add a second it doesnt run the second strip correctly.<br>This is cool...

Esp32 and Servo

Here is a bare bones E1.31 sketch .

Code:
/*
  All credits to :
  Shelby Merrick for his E131
*/

#include <pwmWrite.h>
#include <ESPAsyncE131.h>
#include <WiFi.h>

#define UNIVERSE 1               // First DMX Universe to listen for
#define UNIVERSE_COUNT 3
#define CHANNEL_START 1

const int servoPin = 19;
uint16_t servoMinUs;   // minimum servo pulse in μs (544)
uint16_t servoMaxUs;   // maximum servo pulse in μs (2400)

const char ssid[] = "";         // Replace with your SSID
const char passphrase[] = "";   // Replace with your WPA2 passphrase

// ESPAsyncE131 instance with UNIVERSE_COUNT buffer slots
ESPAsyncE131 e131(UNIVERSE_COUNT);

Pwm pwm = Pwm();

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  delay(10);

pwm.attachServo(19, 8, 544, 2400);

// Make sure you're in station mode
  WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);

if (passphrase != NULL)
    WiFi.begin(ssid, passphrase);
  else
    WiFi.begin(ssid);

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
    delay(500);
  }

// Choose one to begin listening for E1.31 data
  //if (e131.begin(E131_UNICAST));                              // Listen via Unicast
  if (e131.begin(E131_MULTICAST, UNIVERSE, UNIVERSE_COUNT));   // Listen via Multicast

}
void loop(){

int val1;

// Parse a packet and update pixels
  while (!e131.isEmpty()) {
    e131_packet_t packet;
    e131.pull(&packet);     // Pull packet from ring buffer
    uint16_t universe = htons(packet.universe);

if (universe == 1) {
      val1 = map((packet.property_values[(CHANNEL_START + 0 )]), 0, 255, 544, 2400);   // channel 1
    }

if (val1 <= 255 || val1 >= 0) {  //Servo 1
      pwm.writeServo(19, val1);
    }
  }
}

Back