Helix and Vixen 3

I tried a different computer, installed Vixen 3 and then the Helixcontroller dll. Still no luck. Just for kicks, I changed the name to just Helix.dll still no luck. I changed the extension on some of the existing dll's, verified they no longer showed up in Vixen and then changed them back and they reappeared so I know I'm in the correct directory. If you have any other ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

blantrip, are you by chance using 64bit vixen with the original file posted in this thread? I had that problem at first. Tony sent me a 64 bit version of helixcontroller.dll that would at least appear to work for me. I tried many test sequences and was unable to make a usable file that helix would play. It will create a .vix file that helix may or may not load in helix. The files that would load in in helix, would not play. I sent some to Greg to look at and he determined that there was no sequence data in the file on one of the test files. The other appeared to be missing a bunch of event data.

Thanks for the quick reply. Using the 32-bit version works as far as being able to see the Helixcontroller in the Vixen3 controller module setup. Regarding your post above, did you ever get the 64-bit build to work with the Helix? Thanks again.

64bit is the only version I have tried. I never got it to output a usable file so I gave up on it for now. I used vixen 2 to get my show up and running.

Greg,
Any insight you can provide about improvements for Vixen 3 working with Helix? Any thoughts of using any other of the newer pixel friendly scheduling programs?

I'd love to get started early this year and I'm increasing my pixel count (thanks DIY LED Express for the pre-sale work) and I'd like to plan which scheduler to invest my time in, Vixen 2.x, Vixen 3.X, etc.

Thanks again for a great controller and your support and hope you had plenty of time to spend with your family while answering all of our questions.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Teberle was working on the Vixen v3 output module. I will need to touch base with him to see if he has made any headway.

Any info yet regarding being able to use Vixen 3 or one of the other programs?

For any other Helix users out there that are using pixels, have you been working on your shows and if so what are you using?

I've got about 2400 pixels for this year. I haven't started sequencing yet. I'm hoping for vixen 3 support before starting. Last year went pretty well with 1200 pixels on vixen 2.

Yes. That is exactly what I did last year. I had no issues at all doing the sequences last year. I'm just hoping vixen 3 will make it even easier and give more options.

Hi all

I am working on modifying the Helix network controller in Vixen 3. Presently, the Vixen3 export controller generates the output file that is then used by HNC. I have analyzed this code and determined that it will not give consistent results when used on shows with high channel counts or inadequate CPU/memory. The plan is to remove this functionality from the Helix virtual controller, and instead make it a drop down on the the new Export app.

I recently added Vixen 2 export capability to Vixen 3 and am wondering if anything else needs to be done to load the Vixen2 output file into a Helix? I see where the existing Helix controller code generates a Vixen 2 file, but it is slightly non standard. (The main XML declaration is missing, and it looks like there may be some extra audio file name data).

Ed

That's great Ed. I used helix last year with vixen2 and 3k channels. It would be great to be able to sequence in vixen 3 this year. I had no issues with vixen 2. Just created the sequence and load it up with helix. If there was any conversion done, it was done in the helix software. I'll have almost 10k channels this year. I hope it works out.

Thanks mlevings!

It sounds like the new V2 export function in Vixen3 should generate something that can be loaded directly into Helix.

The V2 export functionality will be available in Vixen 3.1 along with the old method of Helix export. Try it out when it releases and let me know if everything works for you. If so, a future version of Vixen3 will remove the old method in favor of the new.

Ed, that is some great news. I'm also a Helix user and would love to be able to use Vixen3 and export directly to Vixen2, then into Helix Network Supervisor.

Very excited and time to get sequencing, should be about 5K channels this year.

Thanks for all the great work.

Vixen 2.1 export capability was merged in starting with Dev Build #37. I really could use a beta tester to verify the exported file will work Helix... Any volunteers?

In a future dev build (possibly build #41) the Helix show controller will be used for patching purposes only. Starting with this build, you will no longer need to "Play" the sequence to create the output vix file. You will be able to create it from the export menu using the "Helix" option.

Ed

I'd be happy to test, but I won't have access to my Helix controller until this weekend.

Before Saturday, I can export from Vixen3 to Vixen2 and then try the Network Supervisor program. If that works things are probably OK, but the final test would be loading it onto my Helix.

Back