HLS - Animation in Pixel MegaTree or V-Matrix -- Super Easy

JHinkle

Release 20C adds Pixel Matrix Animation.

Besides doing Animation using INCADS or LEDS -- This version provides full pixel and color control over pixel based matrix animation.

The following video is almost 1 hour in length. It takes you from start to finish -- all the way to previewing for animation.

You now have full color control over all aspects of your animation.

Halloween and Christmas just became so much easier.

Enjoy.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe, You are Da Man!
:biggrin:
Thanks so much!
Now I just have to convince the Revenue Department (AKA Wife) to allow me to get the pixels I need for a matrix next year. Too bad I couldn't get her re-programmed to be a little loose with the purse strings.
Maybe you could Write a program for that and call it HWS, Hinkle's Wife System.... It would make you the richest man alive! hahaha
Thanks for all your hard work! Have a great day!

HI Joe ,Am trying to animate 4 faces (1 on mega tree and 3 on matrix) + one spare. So enter number of faces = 5. However after entering pixel info, I can not get the Assign Mouth Postion Channels to pick up Face 1 at the top of the table. It remains blank even after I add the Vocals and Mouth control channels. If I click on it I can not select a face as the screen changes colour from pink to green- but without any text within the box. Have looked at video (thanks for this), but will try as a single face next time and see if that works.

cheers Boof63:thup2:

In looking into your question -- I found a bug in listing the Face names in the Vocal page -- fixed in 20H.

I can not duplicate your concern.

You can NOT make the Face active (Pink to Green) in the "Assign Mouth Postion Channels" until all of the mouth positions have channels assigned to them. Once that is done -- the Face can be made active.

Let me know if that addresses your question of please be more specific.

Thanks.

Joe

You the man Joe, now to download it, kinda took a break playing with our new boat, doing 54mph on calmer waters and 39 - 45 mph in 3 foot (waves, why because I can lol) chasing walleye even though it's putting me a tad behind!! Thanks for all you do for us HLS users, it is much appreciated!

Gary

In looking into your question -- I found a bug in listing the Face names in the Vocal page -- fixed in 20H.

I can not duplicate your concern.

You can NOT make the Face active (Pink to Green) in the "Assign Mouth Postion Channels" until all of the mouth positions have channels assigned to them. Once that is done -- the Face can be made active.

Let me know if that addresses your question of please be more specific.

Thanks.

Joe

After "Assigning Mouth Position Channels" ( I can only do two positions under the matrix label, at the bottom of the table) The face name is pink, I can can click on it and turn it to green, but it has no text in the box to indicate which face it is.
Will keep trying, cheers boof63:eek:hno:

have tried again using old setup and I got a crash (crash report says it was sent) and tired again with new setup. New face , channels, matrix etc from scratch (no music tho) went to assign channels to face and crashed again (didn't send report)
cheers Boof63

It alll works for me.

I can't use your crash report because I have changed versions.

Run 20K and if it crashed -- make sure it is sent.

You must restart HLS to send it.

I'll look for it.

Joe

If it's the crash report I just processed -- you were attempting to set Matrix channels without first setting the Matrix size.

I failed to consider someone attempting to do that.

Version 20L now checks for Matrix size before letting you set Matrix channels.

Joe

HI joe, some progress, however, As per pic below cant seem to get face name up in the Assign channels table , as well as phenomes are all purple/locked out so I cant draw the faces for each one, so far no crash on this version so cant send you anything only the pic below. Version 20K - will download L and try tonight, thanks for your help.
Snap_2014.08.06_08h04m38s_003.jpg

cheers boof63

PS opened up 20L version and came up with same screen as shown above, couldn't get name of face to appear at top of the column for each face setup/channel assignment.

Last edited:
They are purple because you have not assigned any faces.

You are working so hard it looks like you are skipping steps.

Joe

hi joe, thanks for your patience. I don't believe I am skipping steps. however 1. work computer, new install of 20L , new song, new preview (ie just the matrix)appears to be working.
2. come home to try and same problem with purple screen.
3. tried new install, new song but using image from original song to rebuild all the channels and the same problem- purple only, does this shed any light??
Snap_2014.08.07_20h51m58s_001.jpg

Cheers Boof63

HI Joe, here are snapshots from start to where it sticks (doesn't freeze) but when you press Done in "Assign Mouth Channels" it goes away but when you go back in nothing is saved and no change in the purple phenome choices, Right or Left click does nothing on Phenome selection.
However right clicking on the Num COL(X) (in pic says 8)( or In Col (Y)as well): brings up the "Animation Colour Matrix Editor" .
Left clicking brings back the Size Animation Matrix popup box.
Side note- if you choose one colour for the background then you cant change it again to another bulk change of another colour without individually clicking every tile to change.
Cheers and thanks Joe
Boof63

Snap_2014.08.08_20h13m36s_001.jpg
Snap_2014.08.07_20h51m58s_001.jpg
Snap_2014.08.08_20h21m28s_005.jpg
Snap_2014.08.08_20h15m44s_004.jpg

Hi Boof:

I think you are skipping the step where you have to assign your mouth positions to display faces (that is the AI, E, O etc). Once you assign those, you can open Assign Mouth Position Channels and your face will appear.

Hi Joe, have a question on the new animation. I 'll use your video as a reference. When you assign the initial yellow color for the matrix of the mouth (to blend it to the background later in the video) is that color permanent once you paint your mouth channels and assign them to the mouth position or can you edit it later in the sequence to a different color? In some instances I like to change the color of the face which is easy to do with fill channels (if not the time savings in assigning color to mouth channels may out weigh the use of fill channels if it has to remain a single color). I haven't played with the new version yet as I am still working on a previous animation prior to the changes (I don't want to blow out the channels and work I already have done thus losing aloot of time and work).

Hope I made sense,

Thanks
Gary

Ps if you thought clicking 49 times for the yellow, then you wouldn't want to know how many times I click to change mouth colors on Monster Mash, Running with the devil and my current one heaven and hell not to mention cut and paste, lol but it is what it is.
G

The background (yellow in your example) is permanent.

My intent was to leave the background BLACK and then let the "Background Color" show thru .... it didn't so I suggested to fill the mouth/eye with a color.

I'm going to investigate why my BLACK mouth/eye color did not allow the BACKGROUND to show thru and fix it if I can --- next release.

The alternative is to create another Face/Eye with the different background --- then only use the one you want.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Back