HLS - HORZ and VERT Matrix Pixel Assignment Wizard

are you using the latest release ?

if yes , create your PP as 150 strings of 12 pixels and select matrix .

when you are in PP editor your matrix will be layed out correctly

choose click on #1 in left most row and then you can select auto assign and follow wizz

Yes I am using the latest. OK great thanks, now when I go to preview and click on "matrix" it seems like it always has vertical checked and I cannot change it. Do I need to use custom?

Thanks,

Rob

There is only a Matrix.

The term vertical or horizontal comes to be when you actually route your matrix for the show -- are the string going up/down or left/right.

Once you have a matrix define as a PP -- you decide what -- and can change anytime -- from vert or horx --- when you assign pixels to your PP.

Joe

There is only a Matrix.

The term vertical or horizontal comes to be when you actually route your matrix for the show -- are the string going up/down or left/right.

Once you have a matrix define as a PP -- you decide what -- and can change anytime -- from vert or horx --- when you assign pixels to your PP.

Joe

But we are not able to assign the pixel to the PP in the dialog because the editor in the dialog assumes we're building a vertical matrix. In your video tutorial you used a matrix that is 15x15, which does not have a problem because it is a square matrix, but imagine you are making a horizontal matrix that is 3 strings of 10 pixels. This is what happens:

1. Your "Manage PixelPlane" dialog nicely makes 30 pixels called S1P1 through S3P10. Sweet, everything works!
2. Then you go into Pixel Plane --> Assign Channels to Pixels. and you want to assign the top row to be S1P1 through S1P10, because your top row has 10 pixels on it. Then you notice that spreadsheet control in the dialog box only has 3 columns, not the 10 columns that you need. And it has 10 rows when you only need 3.

Having the right orientation is important because I'm planning to use a sequence of images with text srcolling from the bottom to the top (like credits at the end of the movie). I suppose I could use a vertical matrix to create the same effect, but it would require that I tilt all my text 90 degrees clockwise in me editing software, and that just gets confusing.

I think you just need to add some sort of "Toggle Orientation" button that swaps the rows and columns...and then it will work correctly.

-=Steve

Hang in there Steve , Joe is working his magic and from what I see HLS matrix creation from manage PP > to preview is going to be a very click simple Process.

Steve -- look at the notes for 21K

I explain that if your are Creating a physical H Matrix --- you have to swap the means of Strings and Pixels/string.

I hope I have added enough text to the creation dialog to keep is slightly clearer than mud.

Joe

Just to Clarify ...

HLS internally treats a Matrix as a V Matrix --- with the terminology of Strings and Pixels/String.

In fact --- to the USER --- it sould only be a Matrix with # Rows and # Columns.

The distinction between H and V type matrix is how you physically layout your strings --- which I try hard to keep at the backend of the sequencing process.

Over time --- I will find all of the places that reference Strings and Pixels per string when working with a Matrix and replace the terminology with Rows and Columns.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

Now I understand, I was getting caught up in the vertical/horizontal nomenclature, the x/y clears it up.

Rob

Over time --- I will find all of the places that reference Strings and Pixels per string when working with a Matrix and replace the terminology with Rows and Columns.

Joe

One of those areas is the PixelPlane Creation dialog. I walked through the process again, and got stuck here. The tool names things by String and Pixel. I would want my pixels named ROW and Pixel for horizontal matrices

Thanks for all the recent improvements Joe, we're almost there. I spent a LOT of time building my matrix and without your software it would be a HUGE amount of work to do anything with it.

-=Steve

Back