Interest Only - Finally Affortable Snowfall Tubes (FAST) PCBs

at 8.50/ea i think it would be interested in 4 or 5 sets
at 5.50/ea i think i would be interested in 10 to 12 sets

Looks like as of this post we are at 100 of 500 Sets. It seems the consensus is that its now not worth it until we can get to 500.

What were the lengths of the tubes used in the video?

I suppose another way to put it: How many of the sets being offer in the group buy would one need to buy to accomplish duplication? :)

36 sets @4ft and 12 sets @2ft, so it would be 42 sets of fast boards and 48 controllers

Nothing would happen this year, the interest is not that great to place an order this late in the year. I will check again for interest to do a PCB run early next year.

I know that I am late to the game, but if this goes next year I would be in for at least 15 sets.

Wow I've been looking all over for these I would like quite a few of these to go along my garage and main door entrance depending on size, lenght, cost.
Thanks Bearsquires1007

Quick question - if you use the red,green or blue LEDs, do we need to change the resistor value? Looking at 20 sets and around 40 individual tubes but would like to use all four colors.

Another question. Whats the advantage of fast vs the snow fall tubes you can get from china that are in the sub $5 each range.

Quick question - if you use the red,green or blue LEDs, do we need to change the resistor value? Looking at 20 sets and around 40 individual tubes but would like to use all four colors.

Green, Blue and White leds all have roughly the same Vf, so the standard 51 ohm resistor is fine for them. Since Red leds have a lower Vf, you would need a 75 ohm resistor.

The wiki has a general calculator and explains how to choose a resistor for a led and power supply. Since the FAST uses Charlieplexing, there are two resistors in each LED circuit, therefore you need to cut the value calculated from a typical resistor calculation in half since the two resistors will be in series in the circuit.

Another question. Whats the advantage of fast vs the snow fall tubes you can get from china that are in the sub $5 each range.

Most of the Chinese tubes all fall a the same rate and stay synchronized to each other. With the FAST you can program them all with different fall times and start times when you program the pics. The FAST look a lot more random. You can also build the FAST to whatever size you need or want. There is a file in the library that has a collection of precompiled firmwares with different speeds and lengths ready to download into the pics.

They are still one of the most commented features that people ask about when they see our display, we have 50 of them in Blue and white across our yard.

Back