Mega Tree Hints and examples

pete

Ok, After partaking in acouple decussions in chat on how to setup a mega tree. I thought I'd start a thread on it. I know this wont be the first nor the last on the subject. But what I'm hoping is to get a good selection of example ( Pictures of actual Mega trees) to showcase different designs. As well as example of different anchor methods for bith the top and bottom of the tree. I have included a drawing of the basics of a mega tree, I hope its helpful

Pete

Attachments

• Mega tree idea.jpg
    Mega tree idea.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,347
But what I'm hoping is to get a good selection of example ( Pictures of actual Mega trees) to showcase different designs. As well as example of different anchor methods for bith the top and bottom of the tree.

I put a few shots in this post:

this is my first year with a mega-tree (so I may be doing something stupid), but here are some pics of what I have so far

I'm not sure if those are the style you are looking for. If so, I can upload some more.

[EDIT] I finally wrote up what I did. It is at http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com/Howidid-MidiTree.pdf. There is a section showing topper, base, and setup/connecting the light strings.

don

Last edited:
I had a metal post with 8 sets of white lights and 4 sets of red and 4 sets of green. I had mega troubles with my gfci tripping...
It may be the wooden box I used for ssr.
anyway we had a bad windstorm dec 27th and the whole thing came down.
SO next year I have to do better at guy wiring it up.

Converting a Basketball Goal into a megatree

It probably shouldn't be called a megatree, because it's only 10 ft tall, but its the tallest tree in my yard, so it's mega for me. It could easily be adapted to taller designs.

My design goals were:
> Use things I already had and others were likely to have or could get easily and inexpensively
> Make it very strong to handle the winds and bad weather we have around here.
> Easy take down/setup with minimal storage space requirements
> A big goal that I couldn't find on other designs was an adjustable tension system on the lights so the light strands stay taught and don't flop around in the wind. The strands tend to stretch over time so it had to be adjustable multiple times as the strands stretch
> capable of high strand density so it looks great and can do smooth spins and other effects
> Have more of a tree shape and not so much of a tent shape
> Work with the 23ft light strands I had on hand
> Avoid GFI trips
> Inexpensive to build. I like the lights but would rather spend more money on my family than on blinking lights.

We have this basketball goal that never gets used anymore and my wife wanted me to get rid of it. So I did, but not in the way she expected :) It's one of those cheap ones that has a plastic base that you fill with sand or water for weight. I was tempted to continue to use the base, but it doesn't sit level in the yard, and it had fallen over before in high winds and dented a car, which really made me mad :) , so I decided to ditch the base and make my own.

You could just as easily use PVC pipe instead of the basketball goal post, so if you don't have the basketball goal, you can still do this project and keep it cost effective. One of the benefits of using the basketball goal post is it's height can be adjusted so I was able to lower it to 9ft so it would fit in my garage while I was building it.

What I came up with is a wooden octagonal base which supports the post and the bottom end of the lights, with a PVC drain on the top of the post to support the lights at the top of the post. The octagonal base of the tree looks round from a short distance and can be built out of wood fairly easily (if you have a miter saw - lots of angles to cut).

I completely disassembled the basketball goal. The main part I wanted was the post. It's strong, adjustable height, painted black, just perfect for my use. In the end, I ended up using almost every piece of metal from the basketball goal. By the way, you can do this without destroying it, so if you want to keep using your basketball goal when done with the tree, keep all of the parts and put the goal back together. I had a mandate from my wife to get rid of mine, plus I was still not happy about it denting a car when it fell over, so I was more than happy to make this a permanent change.

I attached what I could of the build instructions, but I couldn't post all the photos due to attachment limits. Will be happy to email detailed photos, etc for anyone that would like them.

Last edited:
TonyK-
Thanks for posting your example of the converted basketball goal. I really like the octagon base, and am interested in any measurements/instructions you would be willing to share. I appreciate the creativity. Regards,
tlh

The wires for my mega tree(12ft) are permanently strung on rewire.
Four panels are hooked over a top ring and placed in an octagon configuration with the back two panels missing.
Two pieces of 1/2 inch rebar hold each panel a foot off the ground.

In the off season the panels are stored flat against a wall withe the lights still on them.
No tangles.
No stretched cords.
Let the wind blow, this design is unaffected.

attachment.php

Joel

Attachments

• Tree-frame.jpg
    Tree-frame.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,158
As everyone has different Idea's on their mega tree I thought I would show off my ever evolving design.

The pieces consist of:
1 6inch wood bun
20 1.5 inch wood eyelets bent open.
2 3/4 in floor flanges
2 1 inch machine thread eyelets
1 8 inch 3/4" pipe
2 10 inch pieces of fiberglass
1 1.5 inch sink drain pipe 2 inches long
lots of epoxy

Start by slightly bending open the 20 eyelets. Then screw each on in to the wood bun working around the circle trying to keep them even. I used an across method. One across from each other until I had all 20 in. After all the hooks are in mix epoxy and cover the entire bun in a thin coat and work 1 peice of the fiberglass on top. Cut the fiber glass cloth to go around the hooks. When on side is dry complete this step on the other side. Your wood bun is now a reinforced wood bun. After the epoxy dries mark the center of the wood bun and drill a 1.5 inch whole in the middle of the epoxy covered wood bun. Cut a piece of sink drain pipe to fit inside the wood bun and stick out about 1/4 of and inch on each side of the bun. Now starts the messy part. Mix up a big batch of fiberglass resin and pour it over the top of the bun put a thick layer on it but do not cover the top of the drain pipe. Let it dry and repeat on opisite side letting the epoxy put a thick coat on the wood bun. Now you have a light strand holder for your tree.

Now take the 2 flanges and screw them together with the machine thread eyelets. Screw in the small piece of 3/4 in pipe make sure the pipe is on the side with the eyelets openings.

The next step is to decided how tall you want your mega tree. I use chainlink fence top post. To mount your tree toper place the end of it in the fence post. Select the heigth of tree you want and guy wire it from the top. Use some 3/8th in rope to run through your bun up to the eyelets pointing down then back to your bun. This is the raising mechanism. Attach your light strands to your hooks and hoist them up.

I use this design on my 16 ft tree with 60 strands of lights and raise it by hand. The strings are heavy and may requre some help to raise them with out a wench.

Pictures are attached an you can see my mega tree in my photo album.

Nice pics RichF

I'll be stealing this design for my Mega tree next year =)

One change I can see is to replace the 3/8" rope with 1/4" braided steel cable used for garage doors or other things, and use a ratchet or "come along" from a cargo tie down strap, band clamp it it the pole near the base and you have an inexpensive hand winch.

A cable eye with wire cable clamp can add extra safety/lock point.

A simple pull on the ratchet will tighten up or a flip the lock level and slack it off.

I'm sure it wouldn't take much from the other guys here to figure out a way to mod it to a crank or wrench turn if you want to go that way too.

I plan on a ratcheting wench next year. I did not think about the garage door cable. Looks like I will be making some changes. If anyone needs any more pictures let me know.

I used a small carabiner at the top of the pole to hold my light strings up. I thought that it was easier than hanging them over hooks. Plus, it will hold them in place even if the wires are loose and a big wind storm comes. You can easily place 10 or so strands in one of those cheap small keychain type carabiners that aren't made for climbing. It reduces that amount of hardware that needs to be fastened at the top of the pole.

Just a thought.

I have no idea what kind of tree I want to do this year. Could you guys post some stats and pics/videos of your trees? Stuff like how tall, # of channels, pics of your base, things like that.

My tree was 14' tall, 16 with star on top. The center pole was a piece of 1 1/4" conduit inside a piece of 1 1/2" conduit. Very rigid. Had 3 guy wires at the top. Made the topper myself, along with the 4 plane star. Made the base per the example shown on www.christmaslightshow.com. The diameter is about 7.5'. Used 3 colors, 16 channels per color, Blue, Red and Green. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Blue Mega Tree.jpg
    Blue Mega Tree.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Mega Tree South1 - Base.jpg
    Mega Tree South1 - Base.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 504
  • Mega Tree Base.jpg
    Mega Tree Base.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 447
Speaking of ChristmasLightshow.com, I "cheated" and bought some of his pre-fab parts for making my megatree out of 1-1/4" steel pipe. (http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=25) I picked up a 5-way cross, standard hook head, and pole pin, built a 15' tree. I cheated again, and weighted the base down instead of using guy wires. I got away with that this year, but next year I'll guy it.

I picked up a bunch of cable thimbles (like these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aircraft-cable-thimbles/=acvxz), and zip tied the top of my lights around them before putting them on the hooks. The bottom of the lights were zip tied to a PVC hoop around the base. As others have mentioned, the strings stretched under their own weight, so they got pretty floppy before I got them down. (Which happened yesterday, so I cheat AND I'm lazy...)

Next year, I'll be adding more light strings to the tree, but I'm thinking of zip tying the strings to wire cables and using the cables to both support the weight of the strings and as guy lines for the tree. Any suggestions on what kind of cable to use for that? I assume coated, to reduce possible abrasion of the wire jacket on the light strings. Stranded vs. solid, does it matter? Thanks.

Stranded will be a lot more flexible for storage, and will not suffer from bending fatigue. I wouldn't even consider solid.:)

I flew into Phoenix tonite and am stuck here for a while on a connection to Minneapolis, so I thought I'd go outside an look for Frank's tower. Lo' and behold, on the way to the observation deck I overheard some pilots talking about this "crazy guy who put up this gigantic tower for Christmas lights -- and he's right here in Phoenix!" They said the guy lives down in Ahwatukee...

Oh man, Frank, you're on the map now! You've got the pilots talking about you...

So I looked down your way from the airport and I could swear I saw you fiddling with the webcam atop the tower... that was you, wasn't it???

I flew into Phoenix tonite and am stuck here for a while on a connection to Minneapolis, so I thought I'd go outside an look for Frank's tower. Lo' and behold, on the way to the observation deck I overheard some pilots talking about this "crazy guy who put up this gigantic tower for Christmas lights -- and he's right here in Phoenix!" They said the guy lives down in Ahwatukee...

Oh man, Frank, you're on the map now! You've got the pilots talking about you...

So I looked down your way from the airport and I could swear I saw you fiddling with the webcam atop the tower... that was you, wasn't it???

Depending on what way you looking.. its possible.... well, when flying

Back