my train for this christmas

kk4pvz

have been working on the train for this Christmas.. been big job but getting there.
Have some pictures if i figure out how to get them on here
2015-03-16 12.37.41.jpg
got alot of finish work and painting to do.. right now just a primer coast to soak into the wood. will spray pain whole train later when its all ready.

Attachments

• 2015-02-16 13.42.26.jpg
    2015-02-16 13.42.26.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 2015-03-16 16.27.55.jpg
    2015-03-16 16.27.55.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 2015-04-02 19.01.07.jpg
    2015-04-02 19.01.07.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 315
have had several ask me to put pictures on build on here. any questions just ask.. Will take more pictures as i go.

So do the wheels just ride on the outside of the track to guide the Train. Looks like a low rpm high torque motor from a conveyor belt?

the motor is from a wheel chair.. can run 12 or 24 volt.. the wheels run on top the rails with caster inside.. will find picture and place on here2015-03-16 12.37.56.jpg

will 2015-03-07 15.13.29.jpg\
here is better picture.. all wheels can be rotated. the casters will follow the tack and keep the wheels on top the track.

I wanted something different then steam engine.. so doing a diesel engine;.. passenger car is double decker.. will have lights inside.. all cars will have 12 volt led around cars and i can make them chase, flash, on full time or different effects. will be two flat cars between engine and passenger car. one will have santa, sleigh and raindeer on it.. other will have snoopy as red barron with his dog house and propeller on it.
still looking for passengers to put in the car. will add the plexi glass windown when everything is painted.

so where are you with your train build this is great been a while since i have seen anyone build a train. i see you r caster gudes on both sides of the wheels have you tested for drag yet. I had uge issues with drag on my 1st build took me 3 years to get it right and ended up going mono rail

yes tested and it works fine.. had to do some adjustments but ok now. now in process of getting the cars ready. lots of work yet ahead of me. someday would like to do a overhead monorail. everything supends from rail.. but that will be in the future. got enough right now... need to get this to painting stage and start on the ferris wheele. then sometime in there start working on system to hold the lights on the house and mega trees.

the hardest part was building the curves. getting them to be exactly the same all thru the curve.. made a jig and that helped.

well i have all the cars built.. all sanded but the engine. then will be ready for spray painting.. Has been big project2015-04-02 19.01.07.jpg this will be the passenger car. bottom area is baggage and bathrooms top is passenger.. just like the real ones.
Have all my led lights for all the cars.. they came in 16 foot strips. as soon as everything is painted will start wiring ever thing.
engine red trim in black.. flat cars all black passenger car silver with black trim. might just get it all done by next month then can start on ferris wheel.

the hardest part was building the curves. getting them to be exactly the same all thru the curve.. made a jig and that helped.
What size of radius are your curves?
Did you use 2X4's for the track?
Do you bend the wood to form the radius or cut them from wider boards?

I have to set up a small HO scale for my 2 yr old grandson in the near future as he loves trains for some reason. Your scale is just too large for my basement. LOL

well for the questions.. i took 2x4 and cut down the middle .. this gives me two rails.. i used 1x4 and cut into 16 inches long.. they are glued and screwed to the rails.
the curves i made out of plastic brick modling.. it can be bent.. the radius is 3 foot. made a fixture with 3 foot radius with notches cut in it. then i take the brick mold and lay in upside down and pull around the fixture untill it is locked in.. the take the next one and do the same thing. they are spaced 10 and 1/8 inches apart.. then same as rails, use 1x4 16 inches long. glued and screwed to the brick mold. only thing i found that can be bent without splitting or trying to glue pieces togeather. all the rails are 8 foot long.
Hope that answers your questions. the curves are 1/8 inch wider then the straight track so the casters have some play and follow around the curve.

had to make four more tacks so i have enought for the yard. the track is 48 feet long and 16 feet wide plus the curves.. so end up just about 20 feet wide.
started painting the cars. using enamel paint so it will last for awhile. going to use led lights on the ends of the cross ties to light up the track and will be sequenced to music.
all cars will also have 12 led's i found on net that i can either have on all the time, flash or change colors.. have remote for that.
as soon as i get one car painted will put picture on here of it and show others as they are done.
now looking at stuffed things to put in passenger car. big job is going to be wiring up everything when im to that point.
Still have to make the hitches yet. not sure how i'm going to do that yet. but thinking about it.

well passenger car is painted.. red with white stripe.. now to add the lettering Christmas express.2015-04-13 10.31.52.jpg
will start painting other cars now then add the hitches on the cars. then wiring every thing. getting there slow but sure.

2015-04-15 10.48.20.jpg2015-04-15 11.07.08.jpg2015-04-15 11.13.22.jpg well the engine is painted and lights on front installed.. soon be time to start all the wiring inside the cab..
all cars are now painted. now to finish up the hitches between cars then install all rgb lights on the cars.
getting closer to being done.. thank goodness.. has been a big job. now can start installing windows on the inside. using plexiglass 1/16 inch thick.. one long piece on each side of passenger car.
after everything is ready will take the tracks outside and spray them with thomson weather proof deck sealer.. should protect all the wood and rails.
still have to build the covered bridge and snoops dog house yet, but that won't take long.
hope all like so far what i have done.

Back