New Helix V3 Main Board

gmbartlett

This is to gauge the interest in a new Helix Main Board V3. I've designed what is probably the last major revision of the Helix Main Board under the current architecture. I'm just running out of ways to improve the system while maintaining backwards compatibility with the existing boards.

My goals for this new design were to reduce the cost, make it more user friendly and add additional capability. I was able to accomplish all three.

[size=+2]Reduced Cost[/size]
The current Helix Main Board V2 configured as a Helix Network Controller costs approximately $150 to build and requires a second XBee radio and a XBee to USB carrier board that costs approximately $61. For a total of ~$211. A V2 board configured as a Helix Network Node costs approximately $110.

The BOM for the new Helix Main Board V3 configured as a Helix Network Controller will be approximately $90 and requires a USB to RS485 board that costs approximately $21. Depending on the quantity of PCBs ordered their cost will be approximately $15-20 each. The total cost would be about $126 - $131 (a savings of approximately $80). The V3 board configured as a Helix Network Node will cost approximately $70 - $75 (a savings of approximately $35)

Most of the savings is accomplished by adding a wired RS485 port to the board. This makes the wireless XBee radio optional. Of course in order to be backward compatible with the existing boards the XBee radio can be added for approximately $34.

[size=+2]User Friendly[/size]
The new V3 board has seven new status LEDs to let the user know what is going on inside. In addition it has a channel test button that when pressed will turn all of the lights on. When pressed again it turns them back off.

The new V3 board is also geared more toward the typical user. I've changed the first channel bank from only working with the standard 4ch SSR boards to be a generic port like the other three channel banks. Each generic channel bank port can drive any of the Helix Daughter boards, a Renard chain or a DMX universe.

I still plan to support the LEDTriks-C also; however, it will probably only work on a Helix Network Node. I'm working out how to sync it in with a sequence.

[size=+2]Additional Capability[/size]
Besides the Channel Bank changes mentioned above the new V3 board has eight trigger inputs. Each trigger input will be able to start a show.

I've attached files that show the schematic, PCB layout and the BOM. I welcome any questions or comments on the design.

As the current V2 board meets all of my needs I don't plan to order the new V3 board unless there is enough interest from the DIYC community.

The approximate costs for the PCBs will be $15 each with an order of 15 boards. The price would drop to about $12 each with an order of 20 boards.

There will be an additional cost of $3.00 per main board to cover the presoldered microSD card socket and preprogrammed EEPROM.

PayPal and shipping fees will be extra also.

I will be willing to purchase five of the boards so we would only need commitments for 10 - 15 more boards to make this worthwhile.

If there is enough interest I will open a group buy thread and collect the money. My goal is to place an order for the boards around the first week of Feb with delivery by the end of Feb.

Please let me know if you are interested in the new design and if you have any questions or concerns.

Attachments

• Draft Helix Main Board v3 Assembly 23 Oct 2012.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Greg, great product. I'll be reviewing more later as I've been looking thoroughly through the information about the Helix systems. This may be the year I make my move, love your creativity and the versatility of your system!

Put me in for two, as well. I've always said you can't have too many Helix boards!!

Underdog - any questions, or want any opinions, feel free to ask, either off-list, or here - you'll get plenty of answers. It's a great system, and if the V.3 boards make it to fruition, the lower cost/still features make it even better!

I ran 288 channels this year, a network controller and two nodes, and took the show to both sides of the street. If all my plans come together, I might be pushing 1000 channels next year. Hoping to light up the entire town square, and maybe even surrounding businesses.

R

Greg,

I'll order at least 1 board. Thanks for adding in the triggers and the test feature. For anyone that hasn't used a Helix, it is a great controller and Greg provides great customer support.

I am interested in 2.

I see that as 14, maybe 15. I'll up mine to 3, to be sure we bring it to 15. I'd really like to see this happen!

I also am curious about the support for E1.31 and the E681 for pixels. I don't know ANYthing about the E1.31, but I'm assuming DMX, and I know the Helix now supports DMX. Whether it will handle the E1.31 or not, I'm sure Greg can answer...

WhoooHooooo! That would bring my possible channel count, to 1152. That means I could make one icycle, with led's spaced 1" apart, 96 foot long! :pinch::w00t:

R

I see that as 14, maybe 15. I'll up mine to 3, to be sure we bring it to 15. I'd really like to see this happen!

I also am curious about the support for E1.31 and the E681 for pixels. I don't know ANYthing about the E1.31, but I'm assuming DMX, and I know the Helix now supports DMX. Whether it will handle the E1.31 or not, I'm sure Greg can answer...

WhoooHooooo! That would bring my possible channel count, to 1152. That means I could make one icycle, with led's spaced 1" apart, 96 foot long! :pinch::w00t:

R

At the moment, it can't.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?15055-DMX-and-the-Helix

At the moment, it can't.

Thanks, Mike - I hadn't followed that thread. I doesn't matter to me - I put the display up primarily for me, and the 100 or so people that see my show. To steal a phrase, "there ain't no place, like this place, anywhere near this place, so this must be the place.". If I lived in a larger town, or even closer to a larger town, I would contemplate upgrading my display. Or if I were 30 again, with 30+ years of displays ahead of me. But, in my neck of the woods, just putting up a mega tree, will be a serious addition to my show. I can hardly believe what is out there, and what some people do, and certainly enjoy seeing it all. Just not the time/effort/cost for myself. I'm just not that "cutting-edge"...

Perhaps Greg can pipe in here, and give us some idea if it's something that he's going to put any emphasis on or not, and a "reasonable" idea of it's feasibility or eventuality of happening. Not sure how many it will be a "deal-breaker" for, but I'm sure one or two.

One thing to keep in mind - in MY eyes, the boards are relatively inexpensive. The BOM is what adds most of the cost. I don't see this as being a "stocked" board, although I think Greg has some of the V.2 boards left (could be wrong), so it might not hurt to buy an extra board, if you think you might "go bigger" in a year or two, and are going to use just the Helix. Just my observations.

R

Will this board support E1.31 and the E681 for pixels?

Brian

As Mike pointed out above this isn't possible with this board. I've looked into controlling RJ's Smart Strings via his Pixelnet protocol and think it can be done with a Helix Main Board but it will require custom firmware. I would make sure the board would still work within a Helix network but it would be dedicated to only controlling Smart Strings. So essentially it would be a special purpose Network Node. The biggest obstacle is my lack of the Smart Strings to use during development and test. The other obstacle is time. I've still got a lot I want to do with the current firmware, i.e. LEDTriks and microRDS.

As I alluded to in the original post there isn't much more I can do with the current architecture to add additional capability. From what I've been able to learn about the E1.31 protocol, I don't think I can shoe horn that capability into the design. Another thing I want to start exploring is some special purpose boards that would work within a Helix Network. I don't want to show my entire hand at this time but a E1.31 capable board is on the list. Once I get the V3 main board to a point that I'm comfortable with the stability/functionality/capability balance I want to start developing these other boards. I don't know if it will be this year or not, again it comes down to R&D money and time. Both of which are in short supply right now.

Well it looks like there is sufficent interest to produce the V3 Main Board. I will open a Group Buy thread later today or tomorrow. After checking my personal and work schedule I may have to push the delivery date out until the 1st or 2nd week of March. After I receive the boards I want to build one up and put it through its paces before I send them all out. This will allow me to confirm the design as well as the BOM. I will also be able to provide an assembly manual with it.

I plan to limit this first order to a total of 30 boards. This will help me minimize my risk. While I have great confidence in the design and PCB layout and I've breadboarded all of the new circuit elements there is always a possibility for an error. I will assume all of that risk in that if there is a problem I will correct it and place another order at my expense.

I appreciate the existing Helix users that are expanding their systems. I'm humbled by your faith in me and my design.

For those of you that are new to the Helix I want to make sure you understand that the Helix Main Board doesn't have integrated SSRs. You will need to purchase Helix Daughter Boards and the 4ch SSR boards or the Helix SSR Daughter boards in order to use the system. An alternative is you can use the Renard series of boards or any DMX512A compliant SSR boards also. If you have any questions about this please let me know. I want to make sure you are fully prepared and happy with your purchase.

As I've done with the current V2 boards I plan to "stock" the V3 board so you don't have to worry about the current 30 board limit. As I said I plan to purchase 5 boards, 1 for testing and 4 for future sales. If those 4 sell I will order more to have on hand. The prices for the benchstock boards will probably be a little higher since I won't buy a large quantity but they should be within a couple of dollars.

As always if anyone has any questions or concerns please let me know.

Back