New Helix V3 Main Board

A quick update. I'm just waiting for a clarification from Macrosill on a potential issue with the Group Buy. As soon as I hear back from him then I'll be able to open it up.

Thank you for your patience.

Greg,

I am ordering the parts to build my V3 Helix and Mouser shows the 583-DB101C (U3) as obsolete. Do you have a recommended replacement for this part?

PM sent for specific questions regarding application to my show requirements. But if I anticipate the answers correctly, I would definitely be in for a board.

PM sent for specific questions regarding application to my show requirements. But if I anticipate the answers correctly, I would definitely be in for a board.

Buzz, the group buy was concluded long ago. If you end up wanting a board, contact Greg directly.

I've removed the original schematic, PCB layout and BOM from the initial post and replaced them with a draft assembly manual. There were a couple of errors in the original BOM that are now correct in the assembly manual.

I haven't had the chance to finish the final setup and testing so these areas are blacked out in the manual. I will work on these sections soon and post another update when I get them finished.

Last edited:
IC9 MCP23016 Mouser 579-MCP23016-I/SP 1 is also on backorder. :(

Try Digikey for that one too. I didn't buy anything from Mouser - Digikey were generally cheaper, and for some items, Tayda and Futurlec were a lot cheaper. You have to factor in freight though - I ordered parts for other projects from Tayda and Futurlec, so it wasn't much of an issue for me.

Dave

The MP3 Trigger is back ordered with Sparkfun. I found an alternate supplier. I already had a trigger board. But in case others
need an alternate...

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4524

Unfortunately that item won't work with the Helix. It has a totally different pinout than the BOB-09943, it uses the VS1063 chip instead of the VS1053 and it is designed to host the MP3 songs on the board itself.

This BOB-09943 is a fairly popular product for SparkFun so I would expect them to have them in stock soon.

Soldered everything up this weekend. The guide is absolutely fantastic. I did solder one resistor array in backwards. Rookie move - I got ahead of myself. When I attempted to desolder the part, it cracked. So $6 shipping for a $0.18 part. Live and learn. And I did not add enough of the RJ-45 jacks to the order when I created the BOM on Mouser. So I will get another bunch of goodies this week. I will be driving a REN-24 from the Helix when I get things completed.

Congrats on joining the Helix cult ....errrr....I mean family.:) I'll be driving two Ren48lsd's, two SS24's, four SS16's, and hopefully my ledtriks with my Helix this year. Greg's done a fantastic job with the Helix, for sure!

I've updated the assembly manual in the first post based on some input I've received. Please use that manual for future assemblies.

Back