Newbie Guide to Do It Yourself Christmas (DIYC)

deplanche

Welcome to Do It Yourself Christmas (DIYC)!
I put this guide together, since my first few times here I was completely lost as to what people were talking about in the various threads, and figured a very simple guide to DIYC was needed for those who are new here. It is very easy to get lost with the vast amount of information in the threads, especially if you don’t have an electronics and/or computer background, and thus don’t understand what it is people are talking about.

Since most of the information is already been presented in one form or another, I’ll provide links, rather than reiterating the information that others have taken the time to prepare. Since these links often have other links, which have more links, etc. you may want to bookmark this page now, so you can find your way back.

Sections
1 - Introduction
2 - The Wiki
3 - Glossary
4 - Hardware/Controllers
5 - Software (Vixen)
6 - Newsletter
7 - Chat
8 - DIYC Rules
9 - Links
10 - What you will need
11 - Group Buys (Coops)

I welcome all comments on this thread. I ask that if you have comments, please post to http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35345#post35345, so that we can keep this guide as clean as possible for the newbies.

Last edited:
2 - The Wiki

If you are at all like me, you got into the forum from a google search or a link from another outside source, and started reading through a thread or two on specific information, but probably didn’t see the homepage immediately. You also may have completely missed out on the fact that there is a Wiki page. There is also a link in the toolbar above which you can get to at any time. The Wiki is actually a good place to get started on learning some of the more basic information, but it does contain the highly technical information too. The sections below highlight some of the basic sections to get you started. But feel free to surf around the wiki, there is plenty of good information on there.

Last edited:
3 - Glossary

If you are not familiar with printed circuit boards (PCBs), making your own hardware, or computers, the Glossary is a great and necessary place to learn some of the technical jargon that is used in the forums.

Last edited:
4 - Hardware/Controllers

Once you’ve decided you want to make your own hardware, here is a simple guide and a comparison of the different controller types to help you choose which route you may want to take. Keep in mind that there are always people working on new types of controllers as well, so if you don’t see something listed here, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist or that it won’t exist by next Christmas.

7 Steps to Selecting a Controller - A good way to initially narrow down your choices.

Comparison of DIYC Boards - Lots of good info. in a simple table format. Includes where/how to get the controllers.

Electronics Hardware - A more detailed description of the hardware, with links on how to build, operation, and troubleshooting.

Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong answer on what to use. Personal preference will often be a deciding factor in which route people take.

As you will see in the site Rules, this site does not offer premade, manufactured controllers for sale. This is about doing it yourself. What you can buy here are the printed circuit boards (PCBs), which you need to solder all the electronic components to. Some of these PCBs are stocked by memebers of the DIYC, while others are only purchased as part of Group Buys (sometimes called Coops) since they are expensive to purchase in small quantities, and only a few people front the money to keep a quantity of them on hand.

Last edited:
5 - Software (Vixen)

While there are several different controllers out there to suit your needs, skill level, and budget, everything you’ll find pretty much everyone here uses Vixen to run the show. Not only is it a tremendous program, but it is FREE. You can’t beat that. In fact, you can download and run the software before you even decided what hardware to make.

There are even some very good How-To Videos to help you get started. Playing around with the software may even help you decide, do you want on/off only or do you want to dim the lights.

Last edited:
6 - Newsletter

Much like the Wiki, there is a link to the Newsletter in the toolbar at the top, but it often gets overlooked. There is lots of good information on a wide variety of topics in them. Definitely a good read. And we are always looking for more people to contribute to it.

Last edited:
7 - Chat

You can enter into a Flash Chat here or using the link in the toolbar at the time. This works great when you have a problem and want to get help right away, or are trying to troubleshoot and don't want to keep posting back and forth. However, many times other have the same problem, so it is often helpful to copy the chat (at least the important parts of it), and post to a thread to help others out.

Of course the Chat can also be used to socialize with other DIYCers from all over the world.

Last edited:
8 - DIYC Rules

For completeness sake, have to link to the Rules so you know what is expected.

In my opinion, one of the most important rules here is that “it is the policy of DoItYourselfChristmas.com to not allow the direct sales of manufactured products on this site.” In addition to being a written rule, the spirit of this site is about doing it yourself. Use the DIYC website (the wiki, the forums, the other members) as a resource to learn about the things you don’t know. Not only can it be informative to learn these things, but it can, and is supposed to, be FUN! Plus, no matter what age you are, there is the satisfaction of looking at it when you are done, and saying “I did that.”

Last edited:
9 - Links

Many of the members on the site have personal webpages that have great videos of their displays, the construction of them, and other good information. You can find most of these links in the signatures of the posts. None are included here, because I don’t want to play favorites or accidentally leave out anyone important. The Member List also lists any webpage that members have included in their profile.

Exception to the rule: You may notice that many of the links, particularly the wiki, are linked to www.doityourselfchristmas.com. That was the original website that was used until it got so popular that we had to expand to the DoItYourselfChristmas.com site. It addition to hosting that, it is the personal website of the DIYC Admin – Macrosill.

Last edited:
10 - What you will need

This is a very basic list of the tools you will need to get started. The more you get into things, the more you will need/want. This list is targeted toward the entry-level person who is just getting started, not those who have been doing electronics projects for years.

1 - The printed circuit board(s) (Also known as PCBs) for the controller(s) you are making. This are available through Group Buys (Coops) at various times throughtout the year (see next post). Some members also will stock some PCBs of various types, and others will overbuy and be willing to part with one or two boards. Trying to create your own PCB is not recommended for a first timer.

2 - The components you need to make the controllers work (resistors, capacitors, jacks, PICs, etc). These are listed in the Bill of Materials (BOM) in the Wiki (see section 4) for each controller. Generally most of the BOM lists are provided in Mouser format. Mouser is an electronics shop on the web at www.mouser.com. Parts can be obtained from other stores too, but check to make sure parts are equivalent before you make a purchase. Another alternative is to get parts thru a Group Buy (Coops) as described in the next post.

3 - A soldering iron and solder. The best information I have found on this is in the Wiki. Also, searching for soldering iron in the search will give you links to several threads were members have discussed their opinions on a variety of irons. The cost for soldering iron will vary with the quality and features. A cheap, lower quality one may be sufficient for a small project if you are seeing if you like this hobby, but the more time and money you spend on the hardware, the more adventageous it is to get a better quality iron.

4 - A PIC (microcontroller) programmer or a DIYC member willing to program a PIC for you. With a few exceptions, the controllers here require a microcontroller which needs to be programmed. If you are just getting started, I suggest you order twice the PICs that are required for your controller, and then ask a kind DIYC member to program them for you. You can usually find someone to program a PIC for you for the cost of the postage to return it to you (provided you are purchasing them in the first place). The reason I suggest twice the number is so that you have a backup in case something goes wrong with the first one. The more you get into this, the more you will find the need/want to get your own PIC programmer, so that you can fix any problems without having to send chips back and forth between others.

5 - Set of needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and wire strippers.
6 - Extension cords
7 - Control cables (CAT5 or CAT5e)
8 - Lights, lights, and more lights! :)

Again, this is a basic list to get started. The more you do, the more you will find you "need" just like any other hobby.

Last edited:
11 - Group Buys (Coops)

Group Buys, also known as Coops, are ways to try to save everyone some money buy making purchases in large quantities. If you buy a single resistor, for example, the per unit cost is much greater than if you buy 100 of the same resistor. This is true of many of the parts and even the PCBs. However, most people don't need the quantity required themselves to get the good discount. But if several members purchase in a group, they can achieve the quantities needed to save everyone some money. This is the purpose of the group buy.

Of course, because money is exchanging hands between people who don't know each other in many cases, there are rules for who can start or run the grouo buys and information on participation in group buys.

Also, keep in mind that group buys are NOT on a time schedule, but rather based on the desire of many to buy something, and someone to run it. Some group buys may run several times in a year, while others may not run at all if people are moving on to other projects. Also, the group buys tend to run more frequently in the early half of the year, so that people have time to assemble and test the controllers well before Christmas. It gets harder to find a group buy as it gets into Novemeber and Decemeber, as everyone is buys hanging their lights and then enjoying their hard work.

Last edited:
hello i would like some help this will be my frist year in using my pc i have 7 arches i have a 45 foot tree and lot of stuff i only have use mr christmas to run them i have 10 mr christmas boxes that how i been do it for the past 5 years so i would like to know where is a good place to started i lt least need 125 out u email rubio2realty@yahoo.com or just relplay here

hello i would like some help this will be my frist year in using my pc i have 7 arches i have a 45 foot tree and lot of stuff i only have use mr christmas to run them i have 10 mr christmas boxes that how i been do it for the past 5 years so i would like to know where is a good place to started i lt least need 125 out u email rubio2realty@yahoo.com or just relplay here

There is currently a big push to try and reorganize the DIYC Wiki so that it is easier for New Members to get started. You'll want to begin there. This will get you started and will help you formulate some more specific questions for us.

To give you a basic idea, most of us build our own controllers using Circuit Boards designed by the more experienced members of the group. There are a ton of options for Software and Controller combinations and it can get very complicated, but if you are willing to do some reading and a bit of work, you will have great success here.

One of the other key components is software. While there are others, most of our members use Vixen or Lightshow Pro. With Vixen being the most popular because it is very good and its free. Lightshow Pro is around $80. You can get started with either of them today as they are both available and I believe LSP has a trial.

Do you have any videos of your Mr. Christmas Driven setup? It might be the most advanced Mr. C. Display I have heard of?

Last edited:
I wish I had this at my disposal a couple of years back. I have talked with a number of people who are interested in holiday lighting and having a newbie guide would have help.

So kudos to everyone who has helped with this.

Dean

You guys seem to focus a lot on Vixen, but other sites I've joined in the past all seem to focus on Light-O-Rama (LOR). As of right now, I am still fairly small, and primarily static (with the exception of a Mr Christmas). My biggest question to anyone who will listen is what would you recommend for a newbie who has NO computer/electrician/engineering skills? My "DIY" skills are limited...but I still want to grow my display. Feel free to move this post if it's in an inappropriate thread.

You guys seem to focus a lot on Vixen, but other sites I've joined in the past all seem to focus on Light-O-Rama (LOR). As of right now, I am still fairly small, and primarily static (with the exception of a Mr Christmas). My biggest question to anyone who will listen is what would you recommend for a newbie who has NO computer/electrician/engineering skills? My "DIY" skills are limited...but I still want to grow my display. Feel free to move this post if it's in an inappropriate thread.

Well... it is a DIY site after all! LOR SW doesn't drive any DIY gear - unless of course you buy that ridiculously priced iDMX so that's pretty much why it's not discussed here much. There's literally been hundreds of folks that have come here with the same skill level (or more correctly lack of) as yourself and many have said the same thing but for the most part they manage to get through building their gear and get it going. As long as you read the instructions and take your time you can do this!

Back