OK-Mini PLUS 2008

gmbartlett

Ok folks,
Here we go again…

I would like to announce another OK-mini here in central Oklahoma at my house in Norman. I will be co-hosting this with Tom, aka Santas Helper on P.C. We need your help and participation to make this the best OK-mini ever.

Date: May 17th (Saturday)
Location: Norman, Oklahoma at Greg’s House (just south of OKC)
PM me for the address and a map
Time: 10:00am till 10:00pm (or when we get tired) yea right

Open to all members!!! Newbies and oldies.

Free admission, free lance and free spotlight.
All you have to do is attend, share and have fun!!!
Meat tray and such will be provided. This means we eat/munch at our own pace and spend more time on the fun stuff.

Strongly recommended: Bring your thoughts, ideas and especially your humor.
There have been great ideas shared and posted since our last gathering. I would like to see those ideas in person, along with everyone else who attends.

It's time to PLAY .
Here is what I know so far.
I will host the mini at my house.
Glenn is bringing his welder (last year he brought his train in its early stage too).
Annalisa, aka Crazy Light Lady, is bringing her LED tech/knowledge (last year was the floating LED globes among lots of other things). I wonder what she has up her sleeves this time.
Bill "Gremler" - I bet he brings all kinds of electro stuff. We missed him last year.

And special guest, The Trans Siberian Orchestra.
Just kidding, just kidding. But it sounded good didn't it?

There are others who contributed so much in the past but we haven’t had a chance to get with them to verify. So I hope they/you see this and get involved.
We’ll also have a D-light board working LED floods from the LOR software (with the assistance from Annalisa).
Plus, I will have my very own Prop 128 home built control system.
There will be an overhead projector connected to a computer for any training/sharing.

Now is the time to shine. Chime in and mention what you would like to see/show/share.

What would I like to see???
I myself would like to see a leaping arch (in person). I also want to learn a little welding.

If there is enough demand, we can erect the mega tree for anyone new and wanting to see one (I bet this happens).
We will have zip cord (I mean a bunch) and vamp plugs so we can do all kinds of lighting and set up what we want for anyone wanting to see their stuff in action (so bring your stuff).

If you are thinking, planning or have started on a project and want to ask/show/share, please do so!!!

There will be a swap/trade/sale of items so bring those too (Tom has some left over from last time).

As mentioned earlier, there is no cost to attend the OK-mini. We will provide sandwiches and other finger/snack foods for your enjoyment. There is no schedule to keep up with once things get started.

I will provide updates with hotel info, maps and other events going on in the area during that time.

Soooo stay tuned for further updates….

Reminder: your inputs are strongly recommended and appreciated.

Thank you, and let the fun begin…

I'll be there for sure. Can't wait to see your DIY controller in action for myself. If it's anything like your LED headgear from PLUS, it'll blow everyones socks off. Wonder if I can get my paws on a LYNX between now and then? (hint, hint).

Wonder if anyone would be interested in an Aurora or Vixen demo? I might just have to work on that.

My work takes me wherever and whenever it needs me. I can't make plans in advance but..........I will show up if I am in town.

Welding? I can bring my Miller MIG rig, Ox/Acetylene rig , and plasma cutter if there is interest.

I am ordering the FGII prototype board tomorrow and I am sure I will have a wireless system on-line by then. I also have the FGI system I can throw in the truck.

I am also working on something special and I might have it working by then that combines welding, motors, and wireless.

Count me in! I believe the date will work out nicely since I'm in the Air Force Reserves and usually have to work one of the first two weekends of each month. I missed out on one last year due to this.

FireGod and rjanuary,

I'm glad you guys are planning on attending. Is there anything specific you would like to see? We will have a variety of veteran decorators at the event that will be willing to share.

FireGod we have someone lined up to bring a welder so I'm not sure you would need to lug yours down from Tulsa. I am very interested in seeing the FGII and any other project you would like to bring. Are you using MaxStreams XBee module or the XBee Pro module for your wireless connection? I use the XBee Pro for my Prop 128 controller and I think they are great.

Annalisa,

I'm glad you can attend, I look forward to seeing you again.

Have you used the Aurora software very much. I used Vixen v. 1.1.11 for my control software this past Christmas but I have since upgraded to Vixen v. 2.0.5. I will have that available to play with.

FireGod we have someone lined up to bring a welder so I'm not sure you would need to lug yours down from Tulsa. I am very interested in seeing the FGII and any other project you would like to bring. Are you using MaxStreams XBee module or the XBee Pro module for your wireless connection? I use the XBee Pro for my Prop 128 controller and I think they are great.

Is the welder they are bringing a MIG welder? I'll bring my plasma cutter. If you have never used a plasma cutter it is VERY cool. A child can use it is so easy and cuts up to 3/8" steel. It cuts 1/8" steel like butter and runs on 110VAC.

I am using the XBEE Pro module.

FireGod,

I'm pretty sure Glen is bringing a MIG welder, I'll check on this for sure. The plasma cutter sounds cool, please bring it.

FireGod and rjanuary,

I'm glad you guys are planning on attending. Is there anything specific you would like to see? We will have a variety of veteran decorators at the event that will be willing to share.
QUOTE]

This will be my first Mini so am excited about seeing other peoples ideas and hopefully sharing a few of my own. I'm also looking forward to seeing FG's new system, since I used his FGI setup this past season. Has anyone played around with one of Frank's 24 channel boards? I have a few of them that didn't get assembled from last year, could try to have one done before the mini. I would also like to see a mega tree and an arch assembled, since they are in my plans for next year.

How far are you guys from Altus? I might be there for Air Force training during that time. I would really love to stop in and learn.

How far are you guys from Altus? I might be there for Air Force training during that time. I would really love to stop in and learn.

Zoommedic,

It is about 136 miles and 2hrs 15min to my house from Altus AFB. It is an easy drive, about 123 miles of it is highway/turnpike.

It would be great if you could come. If you don't mind, what state are you from. I'm just trying to get an idea of where everyone is coming from. So far, besides OK, I've had interest from people from TX, KS, LA and IL.

Let me know if you can make it and I will give you better directions than you can get from Mapquest.

I have this on my calendar. Probably won't be bringing anything but questions and enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to meeting some folks.

Gene.

Man, Ive been out of touch with this board for a little while and see what happens!! I'll try to make it, I live in Moore, so it will just be a quick drive for me.

NogginBoink,

I'm glad you will be coming. You are the 40th person to show interest. We have a couple more people that mentioned bringing DMX controllers also. I look forward to meeting you.

I'm doing my best to keep this date open. I'm anxious to see all the different ideas others have (and probably "borrow" 1 or 2!). Friday nite at Bricktown?? I'm assuming that this might involve quantities of adult beverages?? ;)

Back