P10 help guide

Rob Baldwin 12

I have been helping people set up p10's as of late, some notes that I have noticed that is causing quite a bit of confusion. When using the falcon player to drive the panels here is the setups needed.

Hardware needed
P10 panels
5v power supply
if your matrix is bigger than a 3x3 you will need to extend the power cords that come with the panels - recommend 16 gauge or heavier wire.
Mounting hardware - would recommend boscoyo studio's p10 stuff for ease of use.
Check to make sure your panels come with ribbon cables and if you are doing a larger panel you may need to order longer ribbon cables. The ribbons that came with mine were 6 inch ones.

You also will need one set of the following
Either:
1 raspberry pi (note for panel sizes bigger than 3x3 a quad core is required so that would be either the pi bv2 or pi bv3) and a pi matrix adapter (http://renard-shop.com/…/48-raspberry-pi-matrix-adapter.html)
OR
1 beagle bone green or black and a octoscroller kit several people make these and i wont link them

Both the raspberry pi and beaglebones require a micro sd card 4gb or better class 10 recommended.
You also can store your sequences and such on a usb thumb drive.
You also will need a wifi dongle for older raspberry pi's (non bv3). If you install the bbb-eMMC you can leave off the usb thumb drive and instead install a wifi dongle or you can install a usb hub to have both.

Falcon player links for installing falcon player
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2742.0.html for Beaglebone boards
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html for raspberry pi's

Set up in xlights/vix 3
Matrix model
Horizontal (always horizontal no matter what orientation the panels are in)
number of pixels high is the number of strings
number of pixels wide is the number of lights per string
top left start position. (note if you have issues with text being wrong when using vix 3 then swap to bottom left position and change the fpp to bottom left as well)

Set up in fpp
Channel outputs - led panels
Set the panel correctly... 2x4 is 2 wide 4 high, a 4x2 is 4 wide and 2 high
Make sure the start channel of the grid matches the start channel in xlights/vix 3... even if you have a different fpp doing other things the data still starts at that point for the p10 panel.
There is now a drop down box in fpp that asks top left or bottom left start position this was added for vixen 3 users where there is an issue with text and vixen 3 using top left for its start position. xlights users make sure its set to top left.
ok setting up the grid in fpp is the biggest source of confusion... first and foremost... the set up in fpp is looking at the front of the panel, so your hookups are reversed left/right when connecting at the back... the top right panel in fpp is the top right panel looking at the front of the display so connecting at the back that would be the top left one.
note the arrows on the falcon player must match the arrows on the boards as viewed from the front (left/right flip when looking at the back does apply)

If you are wanting to test the matrix with a feed from xlights/vix 3 you will need to define the matrix in e1.31
Each panel is 512 pixels and each pixel is 3 channels so 3 512 universes per panel. A 36 panel matrix is 108 universes of 512 channels just for reference.
A quick way of doing the universes is to set the universe count to 1, use your start channel as that start channel and number of channels set to 512. you can use multicast or unicast doesnt matter. Click save then set the number of universes to the number needed fpp will auto fill the rest of them in. click save again then restart the fppd. Note - you do not need to enable e1.31 output for this to work (unless you have other things your outputting e1.31 for in which case just uncheck the box next to these universes that are defined for the panel)

Here is a picture of my setup in xlights fpp and physical to show everything recapped

P10 layout.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick followup on the post....

the raspberry pi matix adapter has 3 outputs and a max of 12 panels per output for a total of 36 panels
the octoscroller for beaglebone has 8 outputs and a max of 8 panels per output for a total of 64 panels

When running the p10 make sure you direct your fpp away from the status page this updates every second and causes a blink on the panels if you navigate away from it then close the browser it will remember that you are not on the status page.

for best picture in xlights set the contrast to 1.7 to 1.85 and the brightness to -30%.
In vix 3 add a dimming curve to the matrix in the display setup set to 70.

a more advanced way is shown in this video (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtsncYoUl30

Last edited:
Still learning P10s so bare with me..... I understand you need to run a separate Pi to run the P10 panels. I presume the main constraint is the length of the ribbon cables/data throughput. If there is a second Pi (pixel and P10), how do you sync the two together in your show? Master/slave? Anything else that needs to be done in Vixen besides setup the P10 in the channel setup/preview? Can a real time clock be used on the show Pi and serve a time sync to the P10 Pi? Thanks in advance!

Yes you would set as master slave. The master is the only one that needs time. So yes to rtc. Slaves only need to know where to be in the current sequence. It does this via sync packet from the master. Vixen config I can't help ya there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Rob, you just answered my blinking issue. I was working on setup first then was going to look into that. Awesome review!

Thanks! I think all that's left to do is get some hardware in my hands and give it a go.

I've received my panels and can make them work with the FPP test page but can't get Vixen to drive them yet. I was hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. I'm running a Pi with a Matrix hat from Ron.
vixen setup.png
E1.31 setup.png
Panel setup.png

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! I think all that's left to do is get some hardware in my hands and give it a go.

Last edited:
It looks like you need to change the start channel on the LED panels page to 1 and make sure the fpp is in bridge mode. It should play then.

Bridge mode fixed it. Is bridge the proper mode to run the slave for the P10 while using the main Pi set to master that runs all the 2811 pixels? I'll have to read up on that and do some testing. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Bridge mode fixed it. Is bridge the proper mode to run the slave for the P10 while using the main Pi set to master that runs all the 2811 pixels? I'll have to read up on that and do some testing. Thanks for the help!

If you are running FPP Master Pi with another Pi running the P10 panels then you want to use FPP MultiSync with the Master Pi set to 'Master' and the p10 Pi set to 'Remote'. After setting the P10 Pi to Remote mode, go to the MultiSync page on the master and check the checkbox beside the P10 Pi's hostname. Use the 'sync' button to sync your sequences from the Master to Remote automatically. Then, whenever the master plays a sequence, the remote will play the same sequence. This eliminates the E1.31 traffic over the network, only small sync packets are sent about once per second from master to remote.

Perfect, Thanks Captain! I will give that a shot. I was wondering if I had to send sequences to both. You saved me a bunch of time and headaches

Does that mean bridge while running from Vixen and remote during the show when the PIs take over as players?

I have had some more inquiries on this...

sequencing can be done in either xlights or vixen 3... both can do the matrix though if your running a higher channel count you may want to opt for xlights as vixen 3 has a hard time with channel counts over 50k...

when you enable the matrix (if your running a pi) the onboard sound is disabled due to the pwm that would have ran the onboard sound being pulled up to drive the p10 matrix... if your running a beagle bone they have no onboard sound... either way the solution if your wanting sound at the board in the matrix... attach a usb sound card they are inexpensive from amazon and there are several that say they work with raspberry pi and beaglebones... (most are under 10 dollars)

an option for building this that i did not include in the guide ... this will eliminate the need to sequence this as it will accept only a video input are the linsn boards, once again found on amazon and such they are about 120 usd for the transmitter board and 80ish for the reciever board... the transmitter board does not have to be in a computer to function even though it does have the pci interface at the bottom of the board... it can be powered from the usb socket and the video feed can be hdmi or dvi , the output of the transmitter is via cat5 so the transmitter board can be outside the p10 display... the reciever board is much like the boards that fit on the pi or beagle bone... only they can make a much larger display. (i do belive its 40 panels per output on the display board and there is 10 outputs). The biggest difference between them is that the pi/bbb use channels to control the panels (larger displays this can reach staggering amounts my 6x6 is over 55k channels) where as the linsn board approach its a video file. Keep in mind that xlights does have the ability to sequence a model (your grid) and then you can export a video file of the model.

as far as how to run the panels in your display if you have the pi/bbb with fpp then you have a scheduler built in. Chis and the entire falcon team there have done an amazing job of making sure they support a wide array of controllers, lor and other dmx capapble boards ran off dmx, renard is supported, and of course e1.31. all these outputs are still available even while running the matrix. If you already have your show being ran from a fpp you then can put the matrix as a slave to the orriginal fpp. You will need the .fseq file uploaded to the fpp in the matrix, though you can run it bridge mode as they do for testing (though thats a lot of traffic on the network) the linsn board method just requires you to output the video to the transmitter board your show control is no different from the previous years.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome for those of us that haven't had a chance to understand what is entailed in getting a P10 matrix set up. Thank you for this.

Ran into a slight issue while getting a 5x5 P10 matrix set up in FPP. For some reason the bottom row of P10 panels will not light up. Thought it was a bad cable or panel, however setting the matrix to a 5x6 and giving the "ghost row" panel numbers p6-p10 allowed the last row to test in FPP. I am also having the problems of the wrong colors displaying during sequences... reds are showing as blues... guessing an RGB setting missed somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I copied the layout on this thread exactly but not getting any love.

Ran into a slight issue while getting a 5x5 P10 matrix set up in FPP. For some reason the bottom row of P10 panels will not light up. Thought it was a bad cable or panel, however setting the matrix to a 5x6 and giving the "ghost row" panel numbers p6-p10 allowed the last row to test in FPP. I am also having the problems of the wrong colors displaying during sequences... reds are showing as blues... guessing an RGB setting missed somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I copied the layout on this thread exactly but not getting any love.

Try unplugging your connections to all P10's and plug them back in. I was having an issue with the first panel in the 3rd row and I replaced the panel and it ended up being a bad connection. I made sure I seated all connections and haven't an an issue since then.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Back