P10 help guide

Yup... thanks... making a list with the rereading of hundred of posts :) has to be something silly. Also the panels look to be set to a RBG format in order to properly show the correct color... going to try the Red/Blue test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also going to delete all controllers I have setup in xlights and start with channel 1 in hopes to just go back to the basics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I need larger than a 16 Gig microSD for the Raspberry Pi 3 to run sequences?
The Pi3 has an audio out jack - do I still need a USB audio device?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been helping people set up p10's as of late, some notes that I have noticed that is causing quite a bit of confusion. When using the falcon player to drive the panels here is the setups needed.

Hardware needed
P10 panels
5v power supply
if your matrix is bigger than a 3x3 you will need to extend the power cords that come with the panels
I notice that your two rows of panels point into each other do I have to configure anything special or can I run my panels all in the same direction?
I am running 6 panels across and 8 panel down.
I have a beagle bones black with the ocotocontroller and want to use xlights to run the board.

I have been helping people set up p10's as of late, some notes that I have noticed that is causing quite a bit of confusion. When using the falcon player to drive the panels here is the setups needed.

Hardware needed
P10 panels
5v power supply
if your matrix is bigger than a 3x3 you will need to extend the power cords that come with the panels - recommend 16 gauge or heavier wire.
Mounting hardware - would recommend boscoyo studio's p10 stuff for ease of use.
Check to make sure your panels come with ribbon cables and if you are doing a larger panel you may need to order longer ribbon cables. The ribbons that came with mine were 6 inch ones.

You also will need one set of the following
Either:
1 raspberry pi (note for panel sizes bigger than 3x3 a quad core is required so that would be either the pi bv2 or pi bv3) and a pi matrix adapter (http://renard-shop.com/…/48-raspberry-pi-matrix-adapter.html)
OR
1 beagle bone green or black and a octoscroller kit several people make these and i wont link them

Both the raspberry pi and beaglebones require a micro sd card 4gb or better class 10 recommended.
You also can store your sequences and such on a usb thumb drive.
You also will need a wifi dongle for older raspberry pi's (non bv3). If you install the bbb-eMMC you can leave off the usb thumb drive and instead install a wifi dongle or you can install a usb hub to have both.

Falcon player links for installing falcon player
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2742.0.html for Beaglebone boards
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,483.0.html for raspberry pi's

Set up in xlights/vix 3
Matrix model
Horizontal (always horizontal no matter what orientation the panels are in)
number of pixels high is the number of strings
number of pixels wide is the number of lights per string
top left start position. (note if you have issues with text being wrong when using vix 3 then swap to bottom left position and change the fpp to bottom left as well)

Set up in fpp
Channel outputs - led panels
Set the panel correctly... 2x4 is 2 wide 4 high, a 4x2 is 4 wide and 2 high
Make sure the start channel of the grid matches the start channel in xlights/vix 3... even if you have a different fpp doing other things the data still starts at that point for the p10 panel.
There is now a drop down box in fpp that asks top left or bottom left start position this was added for vixen 3 users where there is an issue with text and vixen 3 using top left for its start position. xlights users make sure its set to top left.
ok setting up the grid in fpp is the biggest source of confusion... first and foremost... the set up in fpp is looking at the front of the panel, so your hookups are reversed left/right when connecting at the back... the top right panel in fpp is the top right panel looking at the front of the display so connecting at the back that would be the top left one.
note the arrows on the falcon player must match the arrows on the boards as viewed from the front (left/right flip when looking at the back does apply)

If you are wanting to test the matrix with a feed from xlights/vix 3 you will need to define the matrix in e1.31
Each panel is 512 pixels and each pixel is 3 channels so 3 512 universes per panel. A 36 panel matrix is 108 universes of 512 channels just for reference.
A quick way of doing the universes is to set the universe count to 1, use your start channel as that start channel and number of channels set to 512. you can use multicast or unicast doesnt matter. Click save then set the number of universes to the number needed fpp will auto fill the rest of them in. click save again then restart the fppd. Note - you do not need to enable e1.31 output for this to work (unless you have other things your outputting e1.31 for in which case just uncheck the box next to these universes that are defined for the panel)

Here is a picture of my setup in xlights fpp and physical to show everything recapped

View attachment 33379

Rob, I noticed that your first two sets of panels the arrows face in to each other but on the last set of panels they face away from each other.
1 is this correct.
2 I am running 6 panels across by 8 panels down and I was going to put each set of 4 panels with the arrows facing in toward each other. I am running a BBB rev C and the octoscroller. I am not using a PI because I want to run XLIGHTS.

If you have any input to help me I would appreciate it since this post is a year old is there anything new I should know about.

Thanks for your help
John (oldandslow)

There are 2 Arrows on the P10 Panels.
1. Direction of the signal path end to end
2. The orientation of the panel.

In general most outputs support a max of 8 panels in the signal path. If you are using less than 8 panels on the output it is possible to loop the signal to the next row of panels and then you would set this up in the fpp panel layout.

There are 2 Arrows on the P10 Panels.
1. Direction of the signal path end to end
2. The orientation of the panel.

In general most outputs support a max of 8 panels in the signal path. If you are using less than 8 panels on the output it is possible to loop the signal to the next row of panels and then you would set this up in the fpp panel layout.

Ok, I will have all arrows pointing up and to the left. The second row will have only the first two with the first row and the next four plus 4 from the third row would make 8 for the second lead to the controller. Is this the right way to do it?

Yep there is either 1 or 2 arrows on each board the one pointing to the short end of the boad is the data path... the one pointing to the long end of a board is the boards orientation ... the orientation is the arrow that you follow when setting up fpp. Again beaglebones and the octoscroller cape have 8 panels per output and 8 outputs... the pi and the pi matrix adapter has 12 panels per output and 3 outputs.

Yep there is either 1 or 2 arrows on each board the one pointing to the short end of the boad is the data path... the one pointing to the long end of a board is the boards orientation ... the orientation is the arrow that you follow when setting up fpp. Again beaglebones and the octoscroller cape have 8 panels per output and 8 outputs... the pi and the pi matrix adapter has 12 panels per output and 3 outputs.

FYI: My latest BBB image increases the max to 12 per output for a total of 96 panels. Also just got the 1/4 scan outdoor panels to work.

FYI: My latest BBB image increases the max to 12 per output for a total of 96 panels. Also just got the 1/4 scan outdoor panels to work.

Where did you buy your outdoor panels? I have been wanting to do a 6 x 6 setup that runs 24/7, but was waiting until the BBB could do the outdoor panels. The indoor panels with Plexiglas covering them are not very bright on a sunny day.

Where did you buy your outdoor panels? I have been wanting to do a 6 x 6 setup that runs 24/7, but was waiting until the BBB could do the outdoor panels. The indoor panels with Plexiglas covering them are not very bright on a sunny day.

I just popped on ebay and found something relatively cheap and free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P10-LED-Dis...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I only grabbed two of them as I have no plans on using them for anything other than testing.

i have done all the above and still cannot get lights. BBB powers correctly. All power and connections correct for p10 panels. Fpp.local/ finds the BBB. The only thing i cant check is the octoscroller. The light comes on the octoscroller but how do i know if its damaged?

Hey Rob,
I cant seem to get the xlights to run as well. I used the above directions. Im in bridge mode. Im not running a pi as of yet, should it be in that mode or standalone? Also i have 3/3 panel. using 3 outputs on octoscroller. can u give me what my setup would be in xlights? Also im using 192.168.0.12 for add. When i make e1.31 in unicast i get nothing

Okay, time for a couple silly questions...how do you get your BBB and scroller cape connected up and how do you do a test on your P10 matrix? I'm guessing that the small wire pair that comes included in the DIYLED kit connects to your 5V P/S and then to the terminal block on the octoscroller cape? What settings do you do inside FPP to get it to output a test pattern, or do you have to do the test pattern within XLights or Vixen?

I did a video & talk about the issue I had with one configuration. Let me know if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPl8H-KP-os&t=682s&list=PLFyrAfJ-kKd5Czg-GWpxW7kNO5W1bHOdf&index=6

Jeff

That video was VERY helpful. For instance, I was scratching my head wondering how I was going to supply the 5VDC to the BBB+Octoscroller cape and I didn't realize the terminal block on the Octoscroller was enough to power both units. Also, I did do more searching and found out that FPP has a test pattern/mode built in, so you have another option besides just trying to do bridge mode via Vixen or XLights. :thup: I went back and watched your entire video to see how you had hooked everything up as well.

With my matrix being set up as a 3x3, it looks as if I'm going to be using 2 outputs from the Octoscroller - 1 output going to 1 panel and the other output going to 8 panels. I could probably try to split it up to a 4 & 5 configuration, but it will probably be easier to simply do 8 + 1.

(Edit: spelling)

Back