PIC programming using MPLAB/MPASMWIN software

Wayne J

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made up some new videos for programming PICs. They are more detailed and narrated. They show downloading and working with the Renard firmware, and the flash software of the programmer.
With these videos, you will see that programming is a very simple task and something anyone can do. The videos are short and broke up into sections for quick reference. So.... here they are...............

First thing to do.....

Download and install MPLAB IDE software. (at the time of this edit, it is v8.92) MSASMWIN is bundled with MPLAB. Once done with the install, go to the program list and look for for the "Microchip" folder, MPASMWIN is in that folder.
If using a PicKit 2 programmer, you will need the PicKit 2 stand alone software used in the video, it can be downloaded here at the bottom of the page. V2.61 at the time of this edit. If you need info on setting up the PicKit 2 , Here is the User's Guide.

Now that you have the software done and the PicKit 2 setup, you can follow the videos.

Downloading the .asm file and using MPASMWIN software to create a .HEX file

**no link at this time

Program the PIC using PicKit 2 flash software and generated .HEX file.

**no link at this time

****EDIT**** in the video, I instruct to set the programmer at 5V, I have found that 4.9V is more reliable.

New instructions for using the PicKit III by 'mmulvenna'

Okay folks here it is. Dont be too critical as I threw it together pretty fast. This is only to program the chip using the "HEX" file. The first few screens would be the same for the "ASM" file but then you should be able to use Waynes videos for the "project creation".

EDIT: You should also be able to use this for the diagnostic firmware, just change the file name that you select in the file browse.

Hope this helps... and good luck. Happy PICkiting

Old man Mike
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5924&d=1264521468

**** Notes... Links to these videos (and more info) can also be found in the Christmas Wiki : General Information and Tips ****

Last edited:
Re: PIC programming using MPLAB software

I added another video. This one is for the PicKit2 programmer software. Hope it helps.

I removed the outdated MPLABS videos. The MPASMWIN software is much nicer and easier to use anyways. Updated the videos also.

Last edited:

Programmed my first ever PICs today. Wayne thanks for the videos ... they helped alot.. Used a PICKIT 2 and a adapter from j1sys.com works great. To anyone newer than me trying to program PICs make sure you follow the instructions to a T... and make sure your jumpers on the adapter board are correct..( a bunch of trial and error:wow:)...Now to hook it all to Vixen and away we go.. ..

Programmed my first ever PICs today. Wayne thanks for the videos ... they helped alot.. Used a PICKIT 2 and a adapter from j1sys.com works great. To anyone newer than me trying to program PICs make sure you follow the instructions to a T... and make sure your jumpers on the adapter board are correct..( a bunch of trial and error:wow:)...Now to hook it all to Vixen and away we go.. ..

Got mine yesterday and tried to flash a chip today. Went ahead and used MPASMWIN because the supplied MPLAB disk would not install ( probably because of anti-virus ). I did beat my head for a bit figuring out the jumpers then it hit me. Group C PIC ? Why not use the jumpers with C on them ? Duhhhh, my Homer Simpson moment LOL. Anyway, it worked fine and if I can do it, anyone can.

One question though. I did the first one in diagnostic mode to test my board. So when I want to change the chip over to operational mode, do I have to erase it first or does the process just overwrite the old firmware? Thanks

ALWAYS erase before programming. Always run a verify afterwards. If you try to program over an unerased part it will probably try to do the programming but only be able to change the bits that were in an erased state to their opposit state (I hate to say "programmed" state but that is the case). You get an unusable mess usually.

Hope this helps.

In my experience the MPLAB software erases before programming and verifies after programming, no user intervention needed.

what pickit tool is best or better for doing this...i am search for one that works :)

In my experience the MPLAB software erases before programming and verifies after programming, no user intervention needed.

This must be a setting 'cause it isn't my experience with the fast pics.
When i wanted to program them using the program button top RHS on home screen, it failed until i hit the erase button first.
Matthew
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ALWAYS erase before programming. Always run a verify afterwards. If you try to program over an unerased part it will probably try to do the programming but only be able to change the bits that were in an erased state to their opposit state (I hate to say "programmed" state but that is the case). You get an unusable mess usually.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Capt. I was kinda leaning towards that answer since I do recall seeing an "erase" button somewhere in the process.

@ P & Matt : going back thru the process to check, the erase function was in the pickit 2 software during the write operation. I can't speak to MPLAB because I used MPASMWIN as per the video tutorial.
@ griffixdc : Don't know the best because I am by no means an expert, but I used the pickit2 w/ ICSP14 adapter from j1sys. Hope that helps you out.

I edited the first post. I have now included the download links for MPLAB and how to find MPASMWIN. The links to download the PicKit 2 software, along with a link to the User's Guide pdf.

Pick up the latest device file when you get the pickit sw as well - it includes some of the newer PIC models.

Do I replace the existing .dat file in PICkit2 with the updated PK2Devicefile.dat?

Last edited:
Someday we should start switching people over to MPLABX. Microchip seems to be pushing people in that direction, and discouraging the use of MPLAB. I've started using MPLABX on a Linux system, and there are enough changes that eventually new videos will be needed.

Someday we should start switching people over to MPLABX. Microchip seems to be pushing people in that direction, and discouraging the use of MPLAB. I've started using MPLABX on a Linux system, and there are enough changes that eventually new videos will be needed.

That would only be needed/suggested for the PicKit 3 users, correct? Others using the PicKit2, and the recent iCA03, can continue to use the MPASMWIN software and the PicKit2 standalone software.

So, just a new video and walkthrough for PicKit3 users, right?

Back