PixelRadio, a DiY FM Transmitter with RDS RadioText

So as an update, my remaining parts came in and I have them all working, with the exception of the first I tried to make the wifi antenna mod, didnt go so well, ended up lifting the trace. Oh well, not the end of the world, that one will likely get file 13 and I have ordered a couple more now. May attempt again but with a different iron temp or tip and a better magnifier.

Now to print the ends.....

This has been a fun project and so far it is working great, thanks for all the info. Will report back once I get ends printed and wifi mod done so I can do a full out test.

I've updated the PixelRadio Project so that it correctly builds using the updated webserver library. I've included the latest updates to the Web GUI library (ESPUI) that were submitted by Martin.

Would be great if a project user downloaded the latest PixelRadio source files, performed a build, and tested it out. After I receive confirmation that it builds and runs on another system I will formally release PixelRadio V1.1.2.

- Thomas

I've updated the PixelRadio Project so that it correctly builds using the updated webserver library. I've included the latest updates to the Web GUI library (ESPUI) that were submitted by Martin.

Would be great if a project user downloaded the latest PixelRadio source files, performed a build, and tested it out. After I receive confirmation that it builds and runs on another system I will formally release PixelRadio V1.1.2.

- Thomas

I was able to build it, and get it uploaded.
Capture.JPG

Thanks,
Shawn

- Thomas

what does this update do?

what does this update do?

Without this maintenance update the compiler may fail (build errors) on some PlatformIO IDE installations. FYI, there are no new features.

I would be grateful if a couple PixelRadio users tried the new source files. Just need to know that it compiles and runs. Works for me, but installations vary; So validation on other systems is helpful.

https://github.com/thomastech/PixelRadio

I was able to build it, and get it uploaded.
That's very good news. Thanks for testing it.
EDIT: Formal release is complete.

- Thomas

Last edited:
Without this maintenance update the compiler may fail (build errors) on some PlatformIO IDE installations. FYI, there are no new features.

I would be grateful if a couple PixelRadio users tried the new source files. Just need to know that it compiles and runs. Works for me, but installations vary; So validation on other systems is helpful.

https://github.com/thomastech/PixelRadio

That's very good news. Thanks for testing it.
EDIT: Formal release is complete.

- Thomas

@TomL8345 built mine for me...
Has worked excellent from all the testing I have done.
If you give me instruction on how to backup what I have, install the new code, and restore the old IF I have an issue, I am very willing to test it.

@TomL8345 built mine for me...
Has worked excellent from all the testing I have done.
If you give me instruction on how to backup what I have, install the new code, and restore the old IF I have an issue, I am very willing to test it.

Thanks for offering to help. I recall that TomL loaded MartinM's custom version on the PixelRadio devices he sold. So best to leave yours as-is.

Someone with experience building a project with Visual Studio Code / PlatformIO is ideal for the validation task. Process is "simple" for those that have done it before: Download the PixelRadio project into PlatformIO, build, upload (flash), and then run. Oh sure, sounds easy, but can be complicated/frustrating for first timers.

- Thomas

Last edited:
My custom version is not ready yet. What Tom is referring to is the fixes I made to the ESPUI library the Tom uses for his browser interface. That library had a few issues with large numbers of screen objects and multiple browsers. I fixed those issues and submitted them to the library owner. Those changes were accepted and are now part of the library. This update to Tom's code brings in the new version of the library.

I originally intended to make this a SMT board (I prefer SMD soldering over through-hole construction). But I didn't want to discourage any PixelRadio builders that have never tried SMT. So the 1/8W size resistors are my best effort compromise to create a small board that is less scary to build by average builders.

FYI, JLCPCB also has an SMT assembly service. They can also provide through hole assembly as well. You may consider a SMT version in the future using the JLCPCB and LCSC stocked parts. That way, you could include the placement and BOM files with the JLCPCB and LCSC part numbers and people could order an assembled board directly from JLCPCB. The order process is more complicated but JLCPCB puts a lot of effort into automating everything so if the files are all correctly configured, it should be doable for most people. I SMT'ized Scott Hanson's BBB16 board and ordered them this way from JLCPCB.

I went looking for the hardware design files but could not find them. Are these available publicly? What EDA tool did you use? KiCad?

PixelRadio version 1.1.0 was released today. It provides Dan's (dkulp) PTY function. And now all controllers can disable the RF carrier (previously only the local user could do that). @dkulp, thanks again for these suggested features.

This is an incredible feature and the reason everyone in this hobby should use this radio (helps keep the Men in Black away).

I went looking for the hardware design files but could not find them. Are these available publicly? What EDA tool did you use? KiCad?

The hardware docs found on PixelRadio's GitHub repo were created with Altium Designer.

- Thomas

The Altium Designer project files are not for public release. But all schematics, PCB Gerbers, and BOM are available on PixelRadio's GitHub site.

- Thomas

Do you have pre-built binary firmware images anywhere? I have my hardware all assembled and now need to install the firmware.

I would expect for most people that don't want to modify the code, setting up the build environment is kind of a hassle, and a ready to go binary image would be easier. For me, my primary machine is linux - I'd rather not install visual studio. My only windows box is old and windows 7, and I'm guessing visual studio isn't going to play nice there. I could use my work laptop, but again the hassle of installing all of that just to build the image that's the same as every other image seems like a hassle.

Is there just a binary blob and isn't there a ESP32 loader (hopefully cross platform)?

Oh, never mind, I'm a moron - you do provide a binary image, and it looks like an esp32 toolchain is available in linux that has a loader!
I got it flashed from the binary image using the linux ESP32 tools no problem. Took me longer to find my usb sdcard reader on my desk than it did to flash the firmware

Last edited:
I powered off my Pixel Radio, installed a new formatted SSD so I can make a backup of the settings.
Now I cannot access the radio thru its IP.
There are no files on the SSD.
Anyone else seen this?

Yes, when I removed the SD card and power cycled it, it came back.
What is the process to make a backup?
The web page does not have an option (that I see) to store it local on my computer.

Back