Plug-in for PCI DIO-48

TooMuchWork2

I've got a ton of older hardware I would like to use but I need a plug-in for vixen 2.1.4.0 that I just downloaded. I know I'm late but it's the story of my life. Any help would really be appreciated!!!

I've got a ton of older hardware I would like to use but I need a plug-in for vixen 2.1.4.0 that I just downloaded. I know I'm late but it's the story of my life. Any help would really be appreciated!!!
Who is it made by??
With a digital I/O board you are looking at 48 channels of blinky flashy, no dimming, just fyi.

Tony M.

I am surprised... I was sure there was someone out there using this board or a variant already.

I'm assuming it is a National Instruments?

I ran 2 PCI DIO 96's last year. There is a pluggin for that. Don't know if it will work for a 48 or not but maybe it can be modified?

It's in the WIKI under "other hardware"

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=PCI-DIO-96

Tony,

The DIO boards are made by Kontron. I have all the driver CDs with some VB, C and Pascal code but I'm not a software guy. I'm an instrumentation/process control guy by trade. I've got 3 DIO cards for 144 flashy blinky channels. I've also got some DAC cards but thought I'd save them for later. I've got Opto 22 stuff like DC output, Analog Output and others for motion control and dimming. and I've got tons of 25 amp puck SSRs for powering the lights.

The cards and opto 22 stuff all work under the Kontron software I have. I've looked at the wiki and older posts but nothing on a plug in for a PCIDIO-48.

bmcgeeny,

I tried the PCIDIO96 plugin but to no avail. My DIO cards are made by Kontron and the dll's for the national instruments don't seem to work. I even downloaded the latest NI-DAQmx from national instruments (1.3 GB!!!!) but wouldn't work. Thanks for the reply, I was really hoping!

TooMuchWork2,

I've written a .NET wrapper for their ACCES32.DLL, and want to get that working solid first. Can you verify that my card detection functionality is working?

Got to my site and download both the .exe and .dll
Run the .exe and it should list your devices (after you run PCIFIND.EXE).

Let me know how you fair.

Last edited:
Actually, I now have the plugin almost totally written. Can you instead download this zip file?

Unzip it, and run install.bat. This will copy a few DLLs to your system32 directory, and run their PCIFIND.EXE to locate PCI devices.

Then copy Kontron_NET.dll and the appropriate version of KontronPCIDIO_2*.dll (I believe you said you're running Vixen 2.1) to your Vixen\Plugins\Output\ directory.

Then, in Vixen when you go to setup the plugin, it should show all installed Kontron PCI-DIOxx boards in the dropdown list, and their base addresses. You can confirm these PCI base address by looking at their Properties page in Device Manager, and looking at I/O Range on the Resources tab.

Let me know how it goes!!!

You could possibly get away with something silly around the inpoutp32.dll. Already part of the package.

I wish I would have read this earlier. You're right, it's just 'simpler'. I re-wrote my Kontron_NET abstraction class, using inpoutp32.dll. I have no idea if it works, as I don't have one of these cards to play with.

Both are posted at http://lights.onthefive.com/vixen_plugins/KontronPCI/ (_ACCES32 and _Inpout32). I'd suggest that you try the _Inpout32 one, as it requires no drivers from Kontron (except the one they use to detect the cards), and no install.bat file.

Let me know.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

I had to recover from a hard drive crash (9 year old hard drive, can you imagine??!!!) Anyway, I tried both plugins and get the following error: 'An exception occurred when trying to initialize the plugin for setup.
Error:
PCICommonConfig not 64*64 bytes'

PCIFind worked. Getting closer! I wont give up if you guys wont. Thanks again!

'An exception occurred when trying to initialize the plugin for setup.
Error:
PCICommonConfig not 64*64 bytes'

The PCICommonConfig registry value is generated by PCIFind, so I'm not sure how this didn't work. Can you please send me yours?

Open the registry editor (start->run "regedit") and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PCIFIND". Right-click the PCIFIND folder, and click export. save the selected branch as PCIFIND.reg or something, and attach it here.

I'm try and see what's going wrong, because this is how my plugin gets information about the installed PCI cards. Thanks.

Back