Post your FM "Tune To" sign here.

Wayne J

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there are some super nice Tune To signs out there, and this is an attempt to collect them all in one thread. So post pictures, instructions, materials, everything you can for others to learn from.

Here is mine......

I started out with some .040 aluminum, luckily I worked with sheet metal fabrication equipment so bending the frame was easy. It could be made from wood though I guess. I used some self adhesive ziptie holders to hold on some 20ct strings. It ended up being 24X36 in size I think.
I bought a piece of Lexan locally and I drew the letters and numbers on the mask and cut them out using a razor blade. I then peeled the mask around them off and sprayed the Lexan black. After that dried, I peeled the remaining mask off and then sprayed it all LIGHTLY with silver paint. I think though a flat white would have been a better choice as the silver is a thick paint.
I did not like the look of the string minis so I bought a cheap CFL and screwed it to the bottom and that was a better look.

s1.jpg s2.jpg s3.jpg sign1.jpg

Can't seem to find a picture of the completed one. I have the station numbers painted below. 1/2' plywood with a scroll sign. Picked up the sign from HD few years back when they were selling out the units.

Attachments

• Tune to - info sign 003.jpg
    Tune to - info sign 003.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 607
  • Tune to - info sign 005.jpg
    Tune to - info sign 005.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 436
I had a design done by a graphic artist, my wife! :) I had the image printed and applied it to 1/4" Lexan. I built a frame using 2x4's and 2 metal fence posts with caps. I used 4 cfl bulbs to light the images from behind.

IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0513.jpgIMG_0521.jpgTune Sign 50.jpg

I went with a regular 18" x 54" Shindigz.com banner when it was on sale. After two seasons, it still looks new.
420770_200828126684790_1070436904_n.jpg

Made from PVC and Front is plexi glass. Used vinyl letters printed in reverse and painted over them with red spray paint. Peeled off the letters then painted over the red with a white spray paint. I used about 18 feet of rope light snaked across the inside for lighting. Framed with 1x3 with a groove cut for the plexi to fit in. I can thank RStehle for letting me clone his sign.
Terry

Attachments

• Tune To.JPG
    Tune To.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
The first pic (banner) was a HUGE waste of money. some may remember the company (shindigz.com) that advertised here and wanted to basically give us these banners for a penny! well i got one. what a piece of crap! the first rain it fell apart! the sign in the other two pics is one a friend made for me. has lasted 4 years including 1 blizzard, and countless wind storms. its lit by a CFB flood light mounted in a tree 33 degrees above the sign.
my new one i am building now, is pixels and will mount in the same tree. no hard sign this year!

PICTURE 101B.jpgDSCN0222.jpgIMAG0032.jpg

The first pic (banner) was a HUGE waste of money. some may remember the company (shindigz.com) that advertised here and wanted to basically give us these banners for a penny! well i got one. what a piece of crap! the first rain it fell apart! the sign in the other two pics is one a friend made for me. has lasted 4 years including 1 blizzard, and countless wind storms. its lit by a CFB flood light mounted in a tree 33 degrees above the sign.
my new one i am building now, is pixels and will mount in the same tree. no hard sign this year!

View attachment 19561View attachment 19562View attachment 19563

First rain? Does it rain acid in OK? I've had a shindigz sign for 2 years that held up well with rain and Southern California's UV (even in December). It still looks nearly new and I think it was worth every penny (see what I did there?).

First rain? Does it rain acid in OK? I've had a shindigz sign for 2 years that held up well with rain and Southern California's UV (even in December). It still looks nearly new and I think it was worth every penny (see what I did there?).

Wow - - completely agree - mine have held up great - think I have about four of them now for a couple of years - this is one of the best deals I think I've ever gotten to be honest...

This year's sign is presently a work-in-progress. I'm replacing my old sign (one from Holiday Coro) with this. This is the front template, using black 4mm coroplast; it will be backed by square WS2801 pixels. Once the stencil is complete, it will be backed by white coro.

What the pictures don't show: black boxing around the background of the words "Tune", "to", "102.1" and "GreenlakeChristmas.com". The lights will be mounted inside the boxes, and will diffuse the light just for the boxed area. Total pixels for the sign will be 42. Frame is 96" x 42", built with white pre-finished 1x4 (true 3.5" depth).

The sign hangs on bolts high on the center of my house, hence the size.

tumblr_mn52dpgy011sri5jco2_1280.jpg
tumblr_mn52dpgy011sri5jco1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mn52dpgy011sri5jco3_1280.jpg
tumblr_mn52dpgy011sri5jco4_1280.jpg

Ok Ive been asked to submit my tune to sign.. my idea was modified from lithgowlights design
i could post every step i did here with all the images,
but its easyer if i just put a link to my web site when i have all the details
tuneto8.jpgtuneto1.jpgtuneto6.jpgtuneto12.jpg
the link to my website is http://www.smartaleclights.com/index.php?page=coro&cat=tuneto
the other more smarter way is to use a sign writer to cut out a vinyl street, an use that (lithgow lights did his this way)
hope it helps.
Alec.

With all the nice signs you guys have, mine's in the junker class.

Built with stuff from the garage, enameled heavily, and hung (and locked) from a low tree limb 15 feet from the street.
Plus I didn't mind the exacto-knife letter cutting and detailed brush painting around the stencil outlines.

Single channel and C7 lamps.

tune1.JPGtune2.jpgtune3.jpgTune To.jpg

With all the nice signs you guys have, mine's in the junker class.

Built with stuff from the garage, enameled heavily, and hung (and locked) from a low tree limb 15 feet from the street.
Plus I didn't mind the exacto-knife letter cutting and detailed brush painting around the stencil outlines.

Single channel and C7 lamps.

I actually think it's COOL! :thup:

Back