Singing Pumpkin Lip-Sync

As for the eyes - - I like them with the angled look - it looks a bit creepier that way
I had a feeling that was the reason you did it that way. Its all a matter of taste.

I too am surprised how quickly your putting this together. (Easy for me to say looking from the outside. Not so sure you think so. :D ) Unfortunately my free time has been pretty limited this year and I probably won't get a display up. At best I might borrow one of the posted sequences and have a limited display. At least I'll have another year to "accumulate" lights for next year's display.

Sorry everyone -- I got real busy last year after making the original post with work. Never had the time to come back and update this -- my bad. Here are some pictures of the pumpkin that I build using PVC frame, and plastic chicken wire. I also included a picture showing the lights strung up to the grid. I used black thread to tie the lights into the shape I was looking for.

If anyone is interested in the .vix file, I have a 24 channel (plus two beat channels) of MJ's Thriller (with Vincent at the end). The lip sync is two channels for the eyes (so he can blink), and six for the mouth.

This year I'm trying to finish Somebody's Watching Me. This new version of Vixen looks like it has the promise that I'll be able to integrate the lip sync software output into the sequencing...

AndyB

Attachments

• GreatPumpkinFrame.JPG
    GreatPumpkinFrame.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 223
  • GreatPumpkinGhost.JPG
    GreatPumpkinGhost.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 310
I would be interested in the vix file. I have wondered about how to do a pumpkin this year and you answered my delima. Keep up the great work.

Rick

Here is the version I created last year. It uses a version of Thriller w/ Vincent at the end that is 5 minutes, 58 seconds long (MD5 of MP3 is cf977afaa690877cdf83a8e1aba5602f). I've squished the profile into this version. Thriller_VP.zip (Unfortunately it was over 1MB, so I had to ZIP it).

Attachments

• Thriller_VP.zip
    198.2 KB · Views: 201
okay, is everybody kidding or is there something in Papagayo that I am missing? have tried loading one verse, two words, up to the entire song and all lyrics. once I get it all loaded all the text goes in the first 2 seconds of the song and I for the life of me cannot figure out how to change its position. I'm starting to think it would be quicker to just teach pumpkins to sing!

I've found that Papagayo seems to use so many sounds that when your try to map them it's just too many mouth changes to look right even when using the the program a user posted, sorry can't remember the name and I don't have my windows system up, to translate. What I'm doing is to use Papagayo to break the sound down then using that as a basic guide but then pick the shapes that best work with the props.

I've got a couple of the songs from HolidayCoro and you can tell which have been run through the translation and which ones have been done by hand. The ones done by hand just seem to be smoother.

That said I'm finding that figuring out which shapes to use when doing it by hand get easier the more you do. I really think after going through a couple of songs it will be quicker and easier by hand than modifying what comes out of the Papagyo.

John

Thank you, I have about 20 hours trying to make it work and its not going well to say the least, I have finally decided to use audacity and a printed set of lyrics to get a voice track that I can read. and then replace it with the actual song, this seems to go way faster. at least for me it does. Just glad to see that I'm not going to have to teach pumpkins to sing. (i've heard they tend to not cooperate) :)

I did a 5' lighted pumpkin display last season. I tried using Papagayo initially, but found it to be very cumbersome. I ended up just doing the old animator's trick of using a mirror to see how I form the words. I think an even better method would be to videotape yourself lip synching to the song and then step through the video, matching mouth shapes to time lines. Anyway, I thought I did a passable job for my first actual sequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrDbDJmrUs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhbNEzRte3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You might also note that the pumpkin itself is a cutout sheet (PVC sign stock in my case) and it is airbrushed with texture, shadows and ribs so that the prop looks good during the day... my wife would not have been happy with a black wireframe dripping with electrical cords.

Back