SSR's explained

Wayne J

Super Moderator
Staff member
This post is to help explain "What the heck is a SSR?"
The SSR is a Solid State Relay. To put it in simplest terms, there are two switches to turn on one channel. The signal from the controller to turn on the lights is sent to the SSR. It goes into the first "switch" the Opto Isolator. The ‘Opto’ is a photo sensor and LED. This component’s job is to protect the controllers from the 120v that is on the SSR. The second ‘switch’ is the Triac, which is operated by the ‘Opto’. The Triac switches the 120v that goes to the lights. Both components need resistors in front of them to limit the current to operate them.

The parts of a SSR

Below is a picture of a bare pcb of the SSR

Parts assembly… I left some parts off, as to see the silkscreen and how the parts are placed. Make special note of the dot on the Opto , and the tab of the Triac. These parts must be installed that way. The resistor values are different for the Opto’s and Triacs. The 750ohm are installed before the Opto, and the 180ohm is installed before the Triac. The resistors are not current directional, so installation direction is not important. Although, it looks very nice when they are all oriented the same way. The LED is directional. The short lead goes into the pad on the flat side of the silk screened outline.

After your SSR is assembled, it needs an enclosure. There are many different ways to do things from here. You can wire extension cords to them or use wall outlets. You do what suit your needs.
This is an example of the using a wall box and outlets. You will notice that there is a piece of aluminum on the Triacs in the pics. This is a heatsink. Good insurance to have, but is debated to be ‘needed’

When you wire the outlets, do them all the same. This is so the channels are all in the same location per the 4 plugs. You must break off the jumper tab on the ‘hot’ side of the outlets so you have 4 separate outlets. You can leave the jumper on the common side to save on wires.

A completed assembly…

You can get creative to make things fit you needs. Here are some really neat ways to put them in enclosures. The link under The Pod gives a step by step assembly, which is the basic principle of assembling the SSR.

"The Pod" How To

You can even use them as part of your display…..

Just remember.... The SSRs are carrying 120VAC. Please BE CAREFUL! Triple check your work, make sure no stray strands of wire are about, no wires are laying on the Triacs (they possibly can get hot and melt wire insulation) When testing them, plug them into a GFIC outlet just to be safe.

And don't forget, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Attachments

• SSR2.4BOM.txt
    493 bytes · Views: 632
Last edited:
Nice job Wayne. The pictures explain it all. Now I have to go look for snowmen for encloses, my 4" pipe enclosures just don't match up.

Isn't wayne just the man, first etching, then the MPLAB Pic programming, and now this...

"Were not worthy" (Brought to you by Wayne's World)

I think about the only thing you can do to make this better would be to make the SSRs for me. DIWC (Do it Wayne Christmas).

Nice job.

I think about the only thing you can do to make this better would be to make the SSRs for me. DIWC (Do it Wayne Christmas).

Nice job.

WDYC Wayne Does Your Christmas ;)

Very nice Wayne. Seeing this made me remeber to put one of those 2nd hands with the nice clips. I had my eye on one for a while and I think for my Bday I will get one!

Ben

I like the idea of the snow man.
I have 2 blowmold santas and 1 frosty.
Those ARE a great place to hid the controls.

Wayne,

Can you list a BOM for what is shown there? I realize it may not be current, and these are always changing, but I am trying to figure out what is what, and that would certainly help me.

Thanks.

Jon

Wayne,

Can you list a BOM for what is shown there? I realize it may not be current, and these are always changing, but I am trying to figure out what is what, and that would certainly help me.

Thanks.

Jon

Done ;)

Let me know if any of the part #'s are not valid.

:cool:

Thanks, I've searched the forums 9 ways to Sunday, forgot about the Wiki - and that's where the answer was.

Here's a quick follow-up on my SSR question. I posted a similar question at http://diylightanimation.com/, one of the admins offered a few more details:

In a basic way all SSR are On/Off at there core. Some are not dimmable as they are what is called zero cross triggered.

This means they can only be switched on or off at the point in an AC cycle where the voltage goes to zero (ZC .. Zero Cross) . These can not be dimmed but can turn power on and off.

Random triggered SSR's (what we build here) can be turned on at any point in the AC cycle but will only turn off at the ZC.

With these points in mind here is how dimming works with random triggered SSR's and a standard dimmer.

The SSR is triggered at some point in the cycle. IT can be at the very beginning in which we trigger it and it will then stay on the whole cycle till it turns off at the end ZC ( remember it only will turn off at this point no matter what once it is turned on). This would give us 100% power 100% of the time for full on.

Or we could wait till half way throught the cycle and it would give us 100% of the power 50% of the time for an average of 50% of the energy to the light. This will dim the light.

We could never trigger it and it would give us 100% of the power for 0% of the time and the light will not come on.

This is a basic description and there is a little more to it. But in simple terms this is what happens.

The zero cross triggered SSR will only turn on at ZC and off at the next one so it is either 100% of the time or 0% of the time so you end up with on or off.
Hope this helps others as much as it helped me.

Hi there, sorry but I'm still confused on how to wire it up.
I've attached a pic. of how I think it should go. Would you
please tell me if this is correct.
Thank you.

updated the picture as requested.
added more data to picture

Attachments

• SSROZ-PWR.jpg
    SSROZ-PWR.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Correct!! You might even place that excellent illustration into the Wiki.

Hi there, sorry but I'm still confused on how to wire it up.
I've attached a pic. of how I think it should go. Would you
please tell me if this is correct.
Thank you.

Back