The Colorado Connection - welcome!

lakewood

Hi all

I started noticing more and more Colorado people on the DIYC site, especially new folks and thought it might be nice for the Coloradan's to have a place to connect, share ideas, get help and maybe meet up.

This sub-forum is not meant to take away from the main DIYC forums, rather just a meeting place for those in or around Colorado. Please make sure you still post your general questions and the like to the main forums.

Through this forum I was hoping that we could perhaps make connections and meet others in the area, provide help on projects to those close in the neighborhood, or just show-off our talents. Everyone knows people from Colorado have awesome abilities! ;) So lets show the rest of them what we're made of!

Please feel free to introduce yourself, ask around the area for help, share ideas and lets see if we can't get a real atmosphere of sharing and help going in Colorado. Take the Spirit of Christmas all the way!

My name is Robert Dagg, and 2009 is/was my first year of blink-flashy. I am now fully committed (or should be committed) to making future displays bigger, better and always fun. I'm more than happy to help anyone and would welcome requests.

Merry Christmas!
-Robert.

Very cool, Robert!
I hope you guys get this together,
I'm over here in NJ, no meeting spot over here ;)

Hi all my name is scott and im in the thornton area.

Pm if i can help in any way... i can weld have a small metal lathe/mill and woodworking was my #1 hobby before the blinke bug got me.

I have yet to do a full blown display (using MR CHRISTMAS 6 channel) but i have 96 channels of LOR ready to go.... i just could not get it all together for 2009 but look out 2010.

scott

Sorry I am not eligible to join this gorup any more. I used to be stationed at Ft. Carson and loved every second of it.

Hi Everyone, Name is James, I live in Wellington, CO

This was my first year of an animated display. Actually started building a little bit of hardware 2 years ago, but didn't really get into the big builds until about early August this year.
I have (2) 128 channel FireGod dimmers out with 176 channels running, I built all of it including my own design SSR's from scratch, photo and acid etching all the boards. Got 2 LEDTRIKS panels this year, pegboard variety about 2 x 4 feet. 20ft Megatree with 30 channels (and as i have learned, not nearly enough lights on it to be really cool!!) 10 minitrees, 4 leaping arches, 10 strobes and (2) tune-to signs (I do my own vinyl cutting) and in all about 17,000 lights (and a rediculous 1700 feet of Cat5e in the yard,... another lesson to plan better controller placement next year!!!)
I managed to get 5 songs sequenced for this year and I am tired now, so it will stay at 5 for this season 8)

If I can be of help to anyone let me know! I have a full metal shop with lathes, mill, plasma, welders etc... and I can do cut vinyl to 36" width. I develop with EagleCAD for circuit boards and have the full package, can do pretty much any single or double sided circuit board. Be glad to help out if anyone needs anything locally!

Thanks for posting this sub-forum lakewood!
-James

I'm Larry and live in Colorado Springs.

I started animating my lights around 01 or 02, IIRC. The first year was just a simple 555 timer and a relay. Every few seconds (adjustable with a potentiometer) the timer would switch the relay to have all the white lights on or all the multicolor lights on. The next year I built an 8-channel parallel port controller and moved up from there.

I started using LOR around 04. To keep expansion costs down, I added 2 Renards this year. In order to mix the systems I'm running them on DMX with Vixen.

This year show has 112 channels.

Hi to everyone that has replied.

Please upload or attach videos/links/etc to your displays so we can all see and applaud your work. Plus we might get some ideas for next year.

I'm thinking that early in the new year, if we can all take the time, we should maybe try to meet up somewhere central and put names and faces to the displays. Whatcha all think?

-Robert

Hello all,

I am Steve Endicott from Colorado Springs. I am new to this, and currently have a static display with about 2000 lights. I, like Robert, have committed (or should be...love that!!!) to making 2010 my first year. I am still learning a lot about this great hobby, and feel that 12 months of planning/prep should give me enough time to do a good show next year.

If I had a system in place this year, it would be an 8 channel system with pretty much white icicle lights and netting on my bushes. I plan on growing to a 24 (or maybe 32) channel system with my existing icicle lights, along with multi color, C7's, yard decorations and maybe a star or snowflake.

Thanks to a great community for helping me get started and I would very much like to connect with fellow hobbyists (what are we called...btw...other than crazy...:)).

Thanks,

Steve E.

I am still learning a lot about this great hobby, and feel that 12 months of planning/prep should give me enough time to do a good show next year.

Welcome to DIYC, Steve. You are smart to plan on 12 months. It's not that it's terribly difficult to do, it's just that the combination of equipment that's available coupled with "ideas" that will suddenly pop into your head will clutter your total sense of reason and you'll go bananas just like the rest of us! :-D

Like you, I had a static display once. Then last January I got into this blinky-flashy stuff, finally joined DIYC in February, and it's been just a blast since then. Building the gear will be the EASY part. Deciding on the music you want to use and matching the lights to it will become the most time-consuming part, but that's the "magic time" that will really give you the payoff later on!

Get started early, plan it out and stick to a schedule, giving yourself plenty of last-minute time to "tweak" things. Then stand back and enjoy what you've done -- and let others pat you on the back for bringing some special joy into their Holiday celebrations too!

-dave

Yeah...I have already grown (in my mind at least) from a simple 8 strand setup to my master plan which is a heck of a lot more. There is no way I can 1.) afford all of it now, 2.) have time for all of it in a year, or 3.) can convince the spouse that it is ALL ok. I am sure she will want to have input on what is too much. :)

I figure it will be a growth process. 24 channels next year, a few more the year after, a sale here and a sale there (means another 8 channels or so....) I will get there eventually. I have it all planned out in Visio so I can visually see what it might look like. Plus it is easier to sell to my wife that way. Of course, like any good plan, it is subject to change and probably will.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome and I look forward to working with you and the rest of the DIYC community.

Steve E.

Hello from Milliken, CO

Hello fellow Coloradoans! I live in Milliken (near Greeley) and animated my house for the first time this year. I am loving every minute of it too! Here are some links to what I have done so far. You can visit my website at www.technolojay.com and click the Christmas Lights link to see more and get a map and directions if you'd like to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/user/technolojay#p/a/u/2/AGGD3qtgf9w

http://www.youtube.com/user/technolojay#p/u/1/aF6vGGCvN0U

- Jay

www.technolojay.com
128.gif

Re: Hello from Milliken, CO

Welcome JustJay! I saw your garage earlier and loved it. Nicely done!!!
I am brand new, without an automated display yet. But I have plenty of time to plan.
I look forward to more from you.

Hi all

Dont know if any of you log into Planet Christmas..I flop back and forth... but Im hosting a get together for other coloradians.

Its going to be held in thornton (very north denver)(136th and hwy 25) on July 31. We have total DYIers and commericial controller users and lots inbetween.

If you want more info PM me

scott

Sorry I am not eligible to join this group any more. I used to be stationed at Ft. Carson and loved every second of it.

I live in Reno now myself but was born in the Springs and grew up in Widefield. Right by Ft. Carson. :) Small world.

Leon

Hi, my name is Mario. I just joined DIYC and im loving it. I currently only have a static display w about 3500 lights. I live in Greeley. Ive been thinking about going big now for about two years. Its starting to become a passion of mine. The only problem i have is the money part. So im looking into all DIY. As i read thru, I see i have alot of learning to do. :D

Hi, my name is Mario. I just joined DIYC and im loving it. I currently only have a static display w about 3500 lights. I live in Greeley. Ive been thinking about going big now for about two years. Its starting to become a passion of mine. The only problem i have is the money part. So im looking into all DIY. As i read thru, I see i have alot of learning to do. :D

Welcome to DIYC, HH! You've found the right place -- and you can suffer with the rest of us about the money part!!! :lol:

I'll bet your static display with 3500 lights looks great -- and you'll have all kinds of fun thinking about the possibilities of animating it... and... of course... you'll start reciting the DIY mantra...

"I need more lights.... I need more lights... I need more lights..."

Go ahead, get it over with... start reciting it now... :lol:

Welcome to the fun that never ends!

Hi Mario (and everyone else that is new).

As dirknerkle suggested - start reciting the mantra now. Sooner or later you will make the realization that you DO need MORE lights! :)

I think all of us have some worries or concerns over the "money part". (Again it comes back to the mantra - need more lights). But I found that over a couple of years I keep adding and building and that helps to spread the costs. Plus it gives visitors a reason to keep coming back each year as you keep adding new display elements.

Welcome aboard to all - and merry Christmas to everyone.

-Robert.

Keith here in Pueblo...Think I might be the only Puebloan?
Just in process of upgrading from parallel port 8 relays to RenSS24 - bought today!

very few lights to start, so looking for LED sales when I can...Just missed this after-Christmas clearance season, but I guess that means I just won't jump in with all 24 channels at once!

Hi:
I'm an old Coloradoan. Retired in 1991 from the State of Colorado-Telecommunications Div.

I spend the winters in Yuma, AZ and come back to Colorado and bum around the state in the summer.

Hello Coloradian Blinky's. I live in Colorado Springs and have animated my display starting with 2008. My display has grown to 192 channels using only Ren 16's that I've purchased and built with the help this Do it Yourself Christmas website. Check out some old videos by searching YouTube for "Oatman Christmas".

I'm at 1263 Shrider Road if you want to stop by.

Have a Great Season Everyone!!
Bob

Back