The Renard SS 24 is now available! (first post is current 9-17-2018)

Re: The Renard SS 24 is now available!

Wayne,

i too am a noob to all this, but have been lurking around for over a month now doing lots of reading.

I think there is absolutely no question that these SS24s are the right boards for a beginner such as myself... But, the one thing i am still unclear on is about LED lights and Renard / dimming functionality? Am I able to dim LED light strings with these boards?

Lastly, is there an SS64 in the works? I like the idea of the remote SSRs in the Renard 64 design, but the lack of documentation frightens me with those...

THanks for all your helpful info on this site. Much appreciated by the community!

You are able to dim LED's with a Renard controller. I am doing this myself currently with a Renard 16 board and have little experience with this hobby.

You will need PWM firmward loaded on your Renard PIC. I am also using the alternative 4 amp triacs since I am only driving LED's.

Wayne has answered the Ren 64ss question in the past. As I recall, he felt like there really were no improvements that could be made and the 64XC was a great board.

While it may seem like there's not much documentation on the Current Ren64XC version, that really isn't the case. I was brand new last year and in the year leading up to my display this year, I built 4 Ren16s (xmus ver.) 4 Ren24s (Frank's 3.3v) and a Ren 64 with 16SSrozs. I have to say that I felt like I had the perfect setup. There was great support for building and testing all of these boards.

If you want remote SSRs, I don't think you have to worry about the lack of documentation. I felt like it was really a very simple board to build and get working. Simply take your time read the Wiki's and assembly documention completely before starting. I had a bit of trouble getting it running, but it was the connectivity, not the board or my assembly. As always, the people on DIYC were great help. I ran all of my Mini and Midi trees with the Ren 64 and remote SSRs.

I'm not trying to sway you from the Renards but there is also the Helix and FireGod controllers which both use external SSRs.

Also - if you're up to it, there is a Renard 16 "Simple" design in the file library that also uses external SSRs but that is a complete 'roll your own' design... I have built several of these and used them for both Halloween and Christmas this year (using DCSSRs).

Wayne,

i too am a noob to all this, but have been lurking around for over a month now doing lots of reading.

I think there is absolutely no question that these SS24s are the right boards for a beginner such as myself... But, the one thing i am still unclear on is about LED lights and Renard / dimming functionality? Am I able to dim LED light strings with these boards?

Lastly, is there an SS64 in the works? I like the idea of the remote SSRs in the Renard 64 design, but the lack of documentation frightens me with those...

THanks for all your helpful info on this site. Much appreciated by the community!

Thanks for the info guys... I have a seperate PM out to wjohn from last week asking about his Ren 64 boards. Still not 100% sure what the right direction is for me. But, I have about 11 months to figure it out and get set up.

The good news is, I already have 4 sequences done in Vixen. :)

g8rfn,

What's your question for wjohn? I haven't assembled them yet but I just received two 64XC's from wjohn last week. Maybe I can help?

I was looking at the grinch or hill 320 because of the pic programming was not needed. now after comparing the price I think that the minimal extra cost plus dimming would be well worth going with these. but I am not sure about the pic programming. My main question is where to get it done at or how to do it myself. also are the boards still available. I just spent all my extra cash on after Christmass sale lights for next year so it will be another month before i can buy the boards. are they hard to get later. any help will be great. thank you so much
Shannon

PIC programming is a very simple task, it only takes seconds, literally.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490

You do need a programmer. I always recommend the PicKit2 Starter Kit. It will come with everything you will need. I have never heard or read of a single issue with them and they are made by Microchip, the makers of the PICs. You can them from Mouser for 49.99
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...xF1tcHRQ%3d%3d

As for the boards, I will be keeping them on hand so when you need them they will be available.

Wayne, do you know anything about the PICKit3? Will it do the same thing (and more as the PICKit2) Will it handle our PICs?

Wayne, do you know anything about the PICKit3? Will it do the same thing (and more as the PICKit2) Will it handle our PICs?

Nothing more than what I have read. It does the do the same as the 2 and more. Unless you really plan on doing some of the real in depth developing work here, I really think it is more money spent than needed. Just my opinion.

I bought the PICkit 3 and was able to follow the videos for the PICkit 2 to program the Renard PICS with no problem.

The one I bought did not come with any way to connect a 14 pin PIC so I soldered up 5 wires to fashion one using schematics in the wiki. But I did go ahead and buy an ICSP14 adapter with ZIF socket off ebay for about $5 bucks. Makes it easier to remove the chips after programming.

Wayne,

My 200 channels of blinky flashy came in yesterday! Boards look great! Now to find or host a parts co op!

Thanks for all your work.

James

Wayne,
Boards came in the mail today all ok! Fast shipping! Thanks again!
Robert

With my boards in, I'd be interested in a parts coop, too. I just don't have the time right now to sponsor one.

Wayne,
All the boards showed up today... They look AWESOME!!! Thanks!!

I have 2 Renard v3.3 that I need to diagnose and see life out of. Once I know I can get them working, And after my much contested cost analysis of price per channel, I have decided to build several SS24s.

Since I live near the Mouser Center in Fort Worth. I can get the parts from Willcall in less than a day. Because of this It would be ideal for me to run a group buy, and I will be glad to do so after I am confident with the boards I have.

Anyway, once I get my ducks in a row and my boards working, I will do the reasearch on the group buy and get it going. Unless someone beats me to it.

The boards arrived safely. Thanks alot. Hopefully a group buy will pop up for the parts soon.

Another shipment of boards will be here Tuesday. (at least according to FedEx) :)
Refer to first post for pricing and ordering. ;)

Back