Torque's 2013 quartet

Torque

Ran a final test of all hardware last night, wanted to share, so here it is.

I have 4 faces measuring 36"X36" at the boards extent. Working from the holidaycoro method, I used rather expensive sheets of dense black plastic, approximately 1/2" thick by the aforementioned 36" square. The hand-drawn sketches were blown up 400% from the 8 1/2 X 11 paper I used, and the resulting copy was then glued to the plastic boards, which I then drilled hundreds of 3/8" holes through for each face. The frankenstein and pumpkin are each 8 channels, with the vampire and skull only having 7. We hot-glued each and every mini incan holder into their respective holes, and the sometimes jagged angle of the bulb seems to add to the effect. 3 layers of a semi-transparent black cloth screen material are stretched across the front, somewhat hiding the 2X6 frame that surrounds each face. I ordered up a Ren8ss and a Ren24ss from Wayne the Thursday before Labor day and they arrived on that Tuesday (tyvm Wayne for the super speedy service), and put them together in about 10 hours time.

I use Papagayo for the lip syncing, and import the phenomes into Vixen using the converter found here on diyc. Doing it this way actually makes the time spent in vixen almost nil, save for fading in/out and adding the blinks to the eyes. An Asus netbook runs the show, with an FTDI usb>rs485 cable I bought from mouser. That cable came bare wire ended, and I soldered the 3 needed wires to a cut end of straight-thru cat5 cable, used a cheap rj-45 female-female coupler, then the crossover cable to the first renard. The installer program from ftdi took literrally only a few seconds and popped up my new virtual com6 port, and vixen easily recognized it. Everything worked well on the first test, except a poor solder joint at one of the opto's current limiting resistor trigger side, and some unexplained short between 2 of the pic's output pins that had 2 channels lighting when either/or was commanded. Diag and repair took only a few minutes, and was back outside setting up the tripod. Hope to add a FM-02 and be up and running this weekend, have alot of songs from last year that shouldn't take long to tweak a little and reimport/sequence, along with of course, the highlight of the show, "This is Halloween".

Without further adieu, enjoy.

nice job!

Are the teeth on the red Drakula hard-wired to one of the mouth shapes, or controlled independently (~ eyes)?

don

nice job!

Are the teeth on the red Drakula hard-wired to one of the mouth shapes, or controlled independently (~ eyes)?

don

Thanks!

Drac's 2 teeth are part of the top lip channel. I had initially planned on splitting that lip into 2 channels and having the portion inside the "o" face stay lit, but for some reason totally forgot when it came time to glue them in. To do so would have made for 2 very small channels + alot of unused lamps behind that would require heatshrinking to black out. In retrospect, I'm actually very pleased with the way he turned out, I was very skeptical until I was finally able to see it in action from within papagayo.

Another reply said he liked Frank- he's our favorite, too. Having a total of 5 mouth shapes makes him very easy to lipsync, compared to the other characters' 4 shapes each, which requires some artistic license by altering the phenomes on certain words. For example, the word scare comes out "etc etc E etc etc" which is 5 callouts for the same shape-- i would recode that word something like "etc etc AI etc etc" to get the desired effect.

Re: Torque's 2013 quartet **updated with HD video!!!

Hi all. Finally got some decent video up on the u-tube, wanted to pop in here and share them with you.

First off, This is Halloween from the movie Nightmare Before Christmas.

Adam Sandler performs a perfect rendition of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London.

Every Halloween Light show must include the Ghostbusters Theme Song.

A Halloween Party favorite since the mid 80's. Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo

Now the playlist moves more towards the Hard Rock side of things with Rob Zombie's Dragula.

A little known KISS tune follows, entitled "Unholy"

And the finale, which was actually the first song I sequenced last year, and the longest song, a (recorded) live redition of Metallica's Enter Sandman.

Thanks all for watching, Questions, critiques, and criticisms are all welcome.

~Torque

Awesome job, Would your share any of your sequences? I really wanted to do the Rob Zombie but ran out of time this year.

Awesome job!
Glad you were able to make good use of the plugin! +1 on Rob Zombie, care to share? :)

Well Dragula seems to be a hit. I have no problems sharing any of my work. Just pm me you email address and which song(s) you want, I'll get a .zip sent to you with my .vix file, the papagayo files and their associated .wav files and one other file you'll want.

Back