Triks-c, Putting it all together

crperryjr

One of the most frustrating and time consuming parts of getting the Triks-C up and running is chasing down the posts with all the great info and files you need. So, in a few posts, (There's a limit of 5 files per post) I hope to put everything here. (BTW, if anyone can figure out how to create an account on the WIKI, I'd sure like to attempt putting a page together..With TimW and WJohn's permission of course.) These are the latest files I could find as of this posting.

Here is the parts list, schematic, board layout, .hex and .asm files.

Here is the WIKI!!!
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electronics_Hardware#Triks-C

Attachments

• TRIKSC02.hex
    5.4 KB · Views: 219
  • TRIKSC V02.asm
    33.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
And here is the LTC program, and other programs to help you make the Triks-c come alive.
Command line info for the LTC program:
* LEDTRIKS-C COMMAND LINE INTERFACE PROGRAM *
* BETA RELEASE 05/9/10 Tim Wells V0.11 *

This version can drive up to 2x2 TriksC/Ledtriks panels

USAGE: LTC [filename] command [filename] [command]
Commands:
#CLS = clear screen
#BLK = blank screen
#SHW = Show screen
#RL = Roll to Left (EDGE TRANSMISSION)
#RR = Roll to Right
#RD = Roll Down
#RU = Roll UP
#FRM = Whole Frame

#RPTxxxx = Repeat all xx times
#DLYnnnn = Wait nnnn ms
#LOOP = Repeat until keypress
#FDLnnnn = Delay between Frames nnnn (ms)
#HDLnnnn = Delay for Horizontal scroll (ms)
#VDLnnnn = Delay for Vertical scroll (ms)
#RDLnnnn = Delay for Rotate (ms)
#NPx = Number of active panels (1-4)

#TIME = Display time to execute this file

#ROTR = Rotate Clockwise (right)
#ROTL = Rotate AntiClockwise (left)
#RINCnnn = Rotation Steps (nnn degrees)
#RTOnnn = Rotation Angle (nnn degrees)
#RXCnnnn = Rotate Center X co-ord
#RYCnnnn = Rotate Center Y co-ord

#STA = Send TRIKS-C to stand alone mode
(until next command received)

#CALxxx = Coundown timer (2panels) xxx secs
#CLKxxx = Clock (1 Panel) for xxx secs

PIX-C commands:
#P_PROGRAM = Assign PIXC board to a panel
#P_FSpff = Display frame ff on panel p
#P_FWpff = Store into frame ff on panel p

(OR LTC [filename] with no params to run a script file
with 1 command per line)

(TRIKSC.DAT stores comport in use- delete it to choose comport)
When connecting the Triks-C to the LEDTricks, make sure to set the jumper (JP6) appropriately for what you'd like to do:

##You need ONE Triks-C for EACH LEDTricks you would like to run (4 LEDTricks=4 Triks-C)##
To set Triks-c to Stand Alone mode: (XX=Jumpered)
JP6
XX

To Set Triks-c to run the first LEDTricks:
JP6

To set Triks-c to run the Second LEDTricks:
JP6
XX

To set Triks-C to run the Third LEDTricks:
JP6
XX

To set Triks-C to run the Fourth LEDTricks:
JP6
XX
XX

All LEDTricks boards should be set to run as if they are by themselves. ( Jumper 1)

Compete documentation on the Triks-C can be found HERE:
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/images/4/42/TRIKSC_CONTROLLER_v.0.1_manual.pdf

I hope this helps someone. And thanks so much to all!!

Attachments

• triksc-calc.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 259
  • countdown2008.zip
    37.9 KB · Views: 243
  • LTC0_11.zip
    88.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks!!!
I got my boards but haven't even attempted this one yet - This will speed me up for sure!!!

The following is for NEW ATTINY2313 chips...not the chips being shipped with the '08 COOP board. COOP chips are pre-fused, pre-programmed and ready to go.

Here's some great info on using AVRDUDE to burn the .hex files into your ATTINY2313 using the ADAFruit USB programmer:
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=46
http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/use.html
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html

Gotta set the fuses on those new ATTINY2313 so it uses the external crystal and accepts commands from the computer:
Code:
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U lfuse:w:0xEF:m -U hfuse:w:0xDF:m -U efuse:w:0xFF:m

Putting Timw's (or your custom) .hex file into the ATTINY2313, I use this:
Code:
avrdude -c usbtiny -p attiny2313 -U flash:w:triksc02.hex

Last edited:
I just spent a while looking for this post, so I thought I'd add it here:

As Dave has pointed out - you 'll need a cable..

For standard serial port use its the same cable (signal wise NOT power wise/ZC wise) as a renc/ren64
Code:
PC
RS232                              TRIKSC-IN
[DB9]                               [RJ-45]
Pin 3 (TXD) ------------------------ Pin 4
Pin 5 (GND) ------------------------ Pin 5

or

PC
RS232                              TRIKSC-IN
[DB25]                              [RJ-45]
PIN 2 (TXD) ------------------------ Pin 4
PIN 7 (GND) ------------------------ Pin 5

or

PC
RS422/485                          TRIKSC-IN
                                    [RJ-45]
(485B-) ---------------------------- Pin 4
(485A+) ---------------------------- Pin 5

What is "COOP?"

Can one Triks-C control 4 LEDTrik panels?

Stan

A "COOP" or "Co-Op" is short for cooperative buy or is also called a "Group Buy" - It's where a bunch of people pool their parts need together and buy as a group to get the quantity discounts...

One Trkis-C can currently control 2 LEDTriks panels

One Triks-C controls one LEDtriks panel. If you have two panels, you'll need two Triks-Cs (one for each LEDtriks board).

Tim, please correct me if I'm wrong, but currently there is a limit of two LEDtriks panels that can be controled together

Unless the design has changed, 1 Triks-c per Ledtriks is correct. That one Ledtriks requires 3 of the led holder boards from the last coop (or 768 led's connected in some other way)

Last time I heard the triks-c still had a 2 panel limit. i.e. you could only use 2 at one time on the 1 serial port, but Tim was going to look at that

I emailed the creator of the LEDtriks, John Wilson. I got one response from him, but I guess he is so busy, he never responded to my question above.

I do not know much about the Triks-C. I think it can do a standalone and not require my PC to control it? I want that functionality, as I am running an LOR setup and want to be sure there are no other apps running that could interrupt it.

I do not know much of Vixen either, as I was sort of hoping to have LOR S2 interface with Vixen, to display song title and artist while they were playing. That would make for great feedback from the public (they would know which song was their favorite, etc.). I'm not sure if anyone has done an active display of showing title and artist, either thru a display like the Triks or with RDS over a radio. But not everyone has an RDS-equipped radio in their car.

Stan

If LOR has the ability to run an external program then you should be able to run the ledtriks as that is how we do it under vixen.

Oh john did not create the ledtriks alone, but I. Do believe the board design is his ( john is extremely good at taking a design and creating a cheap and small board from it that we all can use )

Sorry for the confusion!
What Bob said (rlilly) is what I meant :) I have 2 Tricks-C's for 2 LedTriks panels (1 for each) and that is the current limit...

Thank you for the help everyone. I'm glad that everyone on this board is so helpful!

Can the 2 Trix-Cs talk to each other? So you can get one really long LED message board?

Sorry for the confusion!
What Bob said (rlilly) is what I meant :) I have 2 Tricks-C's for 2 LedTriks panels (1 for each) and that is the current limit...

Thank you for the help everyone. I'm glad that everyone on this board is so helpful!

Can the 2 Trix-Cs talk to each other? So you can get one really long LED message board?

Hi Stan

Yes. The current driver software connects the 2 panels together so they behave as one big panel.

The two board limitation is just in the PC software (LTC) at the moment. Each Triks-C is addressable (up to 4 per port) and it is possible to run multiple ports... so its not a hard limit. Probably there will be more development this year... I hope ultimately it goes back into Vixen so it can be programmed and controlled from the one source.

Triks C is relatively new (although the Ledtriks panel originally designed by RJ has been around for longer). The hardware is pretty straightforward so I'm hoping we can catch up with the software this year.

Tim

Robert Jordan(RJ) is the developer of the ledtriks wjohn created the co-op pcb and sells them.
The answer is One Triks-C controls one LEDtriks panel. If you have two panels, you'll need two Triks-Cs (one for each LEDtriks board).
Once it is programed it will run stand alone to a point.
as far as lor your on you own there..

Like they said....

RJ designed the first LEDTRICKS, and the cct idea was first published on CC.com

The COOP board was design by me, in collaboration with RJ (there were at least 6 revsions before the first COOP) Both our names are on the silkscreen, but the headline on the board correctly identifies RJ as the person behind the LEDTRIKS.

A number of people gave feedback and suggestions on the COOP version.

TimW came up with the concept of TRIKSC, I helped with the final design and PCB layout, however it is 90+% Timw's work. The comms section was added to the board to allow 232, as the original board proto was 485 exclusively.

Stan that would be 'circuit idea'

CC is 'computer christmas' a website that started a lot of people into this hobby.

have a look here

Tim

Back