Triks-c, Putting it all together

Here is the parts list, schematic, board layout, .hex and .asm files.

Here is the WIKI!!!
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electronics_Hardware#Triks-C

Could someone try and restore these files and also verify the link that the wiki points to, please? The reference to the downloadable files do not even show up in the quote. The files for download all give blank pages and the link in the wiki that points to the TRIKSC manual returns a 404 Not found.

Thanks for any help.

I've updated the link to the WIKI manual, to point at the copy that was .. well.. in the WIKI. (versus Christmas in Shirley)

Could someone try and restore these files and also verify the link that the wiki points to, please? The reference to the downloadable files do not even show up in the quote. The files for download all give blank pages and the link in the wiki that points to the TRIKSC manual returns a 404 Not found.

Would it be possible to also restore some of the other files linked to earlier in this thread or put them on the wiki? For example the board schematic and LTC?

Also, thought I'd mention my lengthy post in another thread that outlines a lot of the tips and tricks I discovered in creating a sign this year. Perhaps it will be of help to others. There also might be some tidbits in there worth putting on the wiki: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16826-A-new-LEDTriks&p=189897#post189897

I believe the ability to fix the files link will have to wait until after the "Season".
If you want anything PIX-C related, drop me a pm and I'll dig out the files for you.

what is the best controller for the LED TRIKS boards?
the tricks -c or what?

and can someone please point me in the right direction to who has these boards available?
thank you

what is the best controller for the LED TRIKS boards?
the tricks -c or what?

and can someone please point me in the right direction to who has these boards available?
thank you

There is the LEDTriks controller available from wjohn - you must have one of these for each LEDTriks display (16 x 48 LEDs). In addition to this you can add a Triks-C (from wjohn) or a PIX-C (designed by LabRat) that controls the LEDTriks controller. The standard LEDTriks controller is parallel port based but can be taxing on older PCs - this is the value in the Triks-C/PIX-C as it is a smart serial controller (RS-232/485) and talks parallel to the LEDTriks controller. Note you need one set of controllers for each panel display - you can have up to four panel displays. Chris was talking about hosting the LEDTriks stuff - not sure if they are available yet there so wjohn would be your best source if not.

There is the LEDTriks controller available from wjohn - you must have one of these for each LEDTriks display (16 x 48 LEDs). In addition to this you can add a Triks-C (from wjohn) or a PIX-C (designed by LabRat) that controls the LEDTriks controller. The standard LEDTriks controller is parallel port based but can be taxing on older PCs - this is the value in the Triks-C/PIX-C as it is a smart serial controller (RS-232/485) and talks parallel to the LEDTriks controller. Note you need one set of controllers for each panel display - you can have up to four panel displays. Chris was talking about hosting the LEDTriks stuff - not sure if they are available yet there so wjohn would be your best source if not.

Do you need BOTH the Triks-C AND the LEDTriks controller? So, even with the updated serial communication that the Triks-C offers, would it be better just to invest in the newer pixel based RGB systems? Overall, while reading this thread I am getting the impression that LEDTriks is becoming an obsolete sysetem. Already I can see that the Mouser BOM for the LEDTriks board shows many unavailable parts.

I am under the impression that even though it is expensive, the pixel based matrix system is the way to go.

Geo

Do you need BOTH the Triks-C AND the LEDTriks controller? So, even with the updated serial communication that the Triks-C offers, would it be better just to invest in the newer pixel based RGB systems? Overall, while reading this thread I am getting the impression that LEDTriks is becoming an obsolete sysetem. Already I can see that the Mouser BOM for the LEDTriks board shows many unavailable parts.

I am under the impression that even though it is expensive, the pixel based matrix system is the way to go.

Geo

Yep - I made a half-hearted attempt to revive the old controller at the beginning of the year but as you have noticed, the pricing of pixel strips/modules has dropped so much that it would be the way to go now. Combine a small matrix with Sean's Nutcracker tool and you're set.

To answer the question, you don't absolutely need both but you must have the LEDTriks controller since that talks to the LED panels. The parts on that are the most troublesome to find these days and not too many (if any) PCs come with parallel ports any more anyway. The Triks-C (and LabRat's PIX-C) make things easier to communicate since serial port add-on's are easy enough to find.

Yep - I made a half-hearted attempt to revive the old controller at the beginning of the year but as you have noticed, the pricing of pixel strips/modules has dropped so much that it would be the way to go now. Combine a small matrix with Sean's Nutcracker tool and you're set.

Well, I would still say doing a WHOLE mega tree would be still out of the question for me. But I did come up with some ideas that would cut the costs...one being a half tree or even a small section in the center of a regular light string type mega tree. As I mentioned in one of my other threads, I thought of running text messages vertically (if that was possible). As money allows, I could easily expand the system with more pixel strands. I figured that would be a good plan.

The thought had occurred to me that I might try some pixel strands first and put together a regular chase type sign, as you would do with the LEDTriks and see how things work out. But then again, a Mega Tree might be simpler (albeit much larger) and definitely has a larger WOW factor.

To answer the question, you don't absolutely need both but you must have the LEDTriks controller since that talks to the LED panels. The parts on that are the most troublesome to find these days and not too many (if any) PCs come with parallel ports any more anyway. The Triks-C (and LabRat's PIX-C) make things easier to communicate since serial port add-on's are easy enough to find.

Yes, when I looked into the LEDTriks system, I was a bit dismayed about that it works of a parallel port. While my two many control computers BOTH have parallel ports, the thing is that out of all the systems out there, I believe you can really only go a few feet in terms of cable length on a parallel port. I remember many moons ago in an office I set up computers in, I made a 20ft parallel printer run and I had problems. But getting it down to 15feet was a bit help. But I used SOME expensive cable for that run. Generally I would think 7 to 10 feet would be as far as you should go with parallel ports. Naturally that isn't far enough.

I think I will stick with the RGB pixel system as that is the way things are pointing towards anyway.

Thanx,

Geo

Back